What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Did anyone watch the first episode of "House of the Dragon" on HBO Max?

Prequel to Game of Thrones.

10 million view on Sunday, so pretty good numbers. I think it will be good.

We always wait till the episodes are all done. Then binge Away. We are finishing off Silent Witness Season 25.

Currently in our list are: Only Murders and The Magpie Murders as well as The Midwich Cuckoos.

I'm really hoping for no spoilers. I plan to binge it right before the finale is released. I find I like the shows more when I binge them. Otherwise I forget too much between episodes. I know most people don't have that problem but my brain is inferior to many.

Loke Lost and some others we found GoT very hard to follow and with short seasons and looonnnggggg gaps between seasons. we gave up on it early amd have no interest in the dragon thing.

I did. I watched it again last night since I was just trying to figure out the characters names and relationships the first night.

I prefer binge watching to watching an episode a week. Unless it’s a really really good show honestly I just lose interest.

For house of dragons I will likely watch the previous episodes prior to the new one coming up. Assuming it’s a good show.
Yes, I will watch the same episodes multiple times.
I did the same with the walking dead.

I’m currently watching For All Mankind on Apple TV.
Really loving this show. 3 seasons. Took me a few episodes to get into it but once I did I was hooked.

We started watching Kleo last night on Netflix. We enjoyed the first episode and plan to binge watch it this week. German with English subtitles.

After the fall of the Berlin Wall, a former East German spy resolves to find out who betrayed her and why — and use her lethal skills to exact revenge.

Anyone else missing the genius that is said to be Severance?

Do you mean does anyone else miss the show?
Or do you mean miss the reasons people call it genius?

I thought it was one of the weirdest and best shows I’ve seen. You have to really think about what is going on and what it all means.

I still haven't had time to watch Game of Thrones. :LOL:

Anyone else missing the genius that is said to be Severance?

I watched the whole series, but I didn't see any genius to miss.

Practically, the whole premise seemed completely implausible and the story was just painfully slow.

Land Girls on Acorn. Period drama about land girls in England during WWII. Similar tone to Call the Midwife. These period dramas remind me how resilient we are during times of adversity. Our times today are nowhere near as uncertain and scary as those of the recent past.

This Dragon talk got me thinking. We now have time to start a new, classic series. We have seen zero of the following. Which one is best to start? I personally like sci fi, DW is more into drama, neither of us are much into fantasy. So I'm going to rank them like this as my best guess:

1) The Sopranos
2) Stranger Things
3) Game of Thrones

A lot of folks liked Stranger Things, we found it to "Teeny" for our liking. But it takes all sorts to make a world.

Just finished Season 25 of Silent Witness, that is a lot more up our alley. Looking forward to Season 26.

We still have to Binge season 8 and 9 of Blacklist which is stored on our media player's SSD.

Along with all seasons of these goodies: Dalziel & Pascoe, McDonald & Dodds, Murder in Suburbia, Murdoch Mysteries, Van Der Valk 2020, Waking The Dead, Rizzoli & Isles to name but a few.

You can see where our interest lie. There just seems to be so many and so little time.

Tried an episode of House of the Dragon.

Felt very dated and repetitive, trying to redo GOT...sex and violence and misogyny...again. Also everything is filmed in the dark...again.

I'm far from a prude, but gonna skip this one.

Felt very dated and repetitive, trying to redo GOT...sex and violence and misogyny...again. Also everything is filmed in the dark...again.

I think you gave me my answer. At least The Sopranos was shot on film which takes away the temptation and crutch of desaturating everything to dark mud colors and lighting.

This echoes what I've heard as well. It's as if the producers and directors are trying to out-gross the audience with gore and sex. Not going there.

"Trying to redo GOT". Can you blame them? One of the biggest money making series ever. Why fix what's not broken. Obviously doesn't appeal to everyone but it will do very well. I watched very little of GOT but almost everyone else I know was really into it and will be waiting eagerly for each new episode of the new series.

This Dragon talk got me thinking. We now have time to start a new, classic series. We have seen zero of the following. Which one is best to start? I personally like sci fi, DW is more into drama, neither of us are much into fantasy. So I'm going to rank them like this as my best guess:

1) The Sopranos
2) Stranger Things
3) Game of Thrones

I've never seen The Sopranos as the gangster genre is not my cup of tea. And yes, I understand The Sopranos is supposed to be the pinnacle of this genre on TV, but I just don't like the subject matter.

I've only seen bits and pieces of GOT but I know it's not my thing because I don't like the fantasy (sword, sandal, and dragon) genre either.

I've seen all four seasons of Stranger Things. If you've not seen any of it, and knowing you are a sci-fi fan, I think you would really like it. It's also filled with 80's nostalgia, kind of like getting an easter egg in every episode. There is plenty of drama too, with interesting characters and relationships. Somewhat of a mystery to solve as well.

Most episodes end on a cliffhanger making you want to see more.

I liked all four seasons, each one getting better and better until S4, which started out strong but ended up being far-fetched and silly. There wasn't a big enough hanger to suspend my disbelief on for S4.

Most episodes end on a cliffhanger making you want to see more.

I have a bad memory so cliffhangers are a major negative to me unless I am binging several hours a day. The only thing I hate more about the way a TV show can be produced is when they start an episode with the ending then go back to the beginning. IMO that is the worst possible way to do a show.

1) The Sopranos
2) Stranger Things
3) Game of Thrones

So, do we have to have actually seen any of these to answer? I haven’t seen any, but will probably try Strange Things based on the positive feedback in this thread.

I have a basic objection to GoT, the author violates the Checkov rule in storytelling and shows insufficient respect for the audience commitment to the character development. I also understand he suffers from writers block and was unable to write the final book, so HBO wrote their own ending, which as inadequate.

So, do we have to have actually seen any of these to answer? I haven’t seen any, but will probably try Strange Things based on the positive feedback in this thread.

I have a basic objection to GoT, the author violates the Checkov rule in storytelling and shows insufficient respect for the audience commitment to the character development. I also understand he suffers from writers block and was unable to write the final book, so HBO wrote their own ending, which as inadequate.

The last few episodes of GoT were also crammed into a short couple of episodes given everything that needed to be addressed.

I don’t mind the gore if it’s part of the story line but I could do without the sex scenes which in my opinion add nothing to the story.

Season 3 of Motherland Fort Salem just dropped, if anyone is interested in Supernatural witch stuff. We have season 1 - 3 now ready for us to watch when we get around to it. I have only read the synopsis, and it looks like the type of show that would keep our attention.

Season 3 of Motherland Fort Salem just dropped, if anyone is interested in Supernatural witch stuff. We have season 1 - 3 now ready for us to watch when we get around to it. I have only read the synopsis, and it looks like the type of show that would keep our attention.

I watched the first half of S1EP1 and stopped. It looked like a TV show geared toward teenagers. I may be wrong; I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom