What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Just Finished the Mandalorian, I thought it was not so how. Maybe Star Wars style shows are getting bit long in the tooth for us.

Just started Vera's latest season, and like it a lot. But we are diehard UK police drama fans of any kind.

Keifer's whisper-talking is one of those things that, once you've noticed it, it's hard to ignore - and even becomes comic (when it's not being slightly irksome). I haven't seen Rabbit Hole yet, but did enjoy 24.

Rabbit/Hole definitely scratches the itch for 24 fans.

There are connections. Jon Cassar directs episode 4, for example. Cassar was huge for 24, but he kind of let it go too long. With some time off, it is nice to see him direct again.

Yes, Keifer's whisper is a trademark. Captions are mandatory. :LOL:

EDIT: I deleted some stuff that someone found to be too spoilery. I agree, I shouldn't have posted it. Mea culpa. Hopefully they will edit their post as my spoilers are re-captured in the response.

I am sorry.

Last edited:
The Diplomat on Netflix is very good, as a few people here said. I watched the Americans as well, and I really like Keri Russell. I also watched The Man in the High Castle, and I like Rufus Sewell a lot. (He was excellent in that show!)

Not a dull moment in The Diplomat IMO. Very entertaining. Some of the comments those people make in the show are quite comical as well.

Last edited:
Transatlantic on Netflix. Well-done drama about the effort to get Jews out of France and into Spain in the early 1940s while Nazis were in control of France. 7 episodes.

Major Tom, I was livid that the show made me hang in midair like that! [emoji16]

I hope Season 2 will air soon.

Last edited:
Anyone here like Beef on Netflix? It’s an interesting series..

EA, I watched it and thought it was quite good. The way the story developed and the characters intertwined was very well done. It was a very dark show, but the cast was very good. My wife, who begrudgingly watches some of these shows with me recognized the actress who played Naomi. She said..." I know her. That's Mindy from Emily in Paris" LOL :LOL:

We recently picked up Perry Mason, on HBO (I think).

The actor who portrays Perry is the guy from The American's, husband to Keri Russel (grrrrr). :smitten:

I didn't think I'd like it, but it's been really good.

Another one we watched was C.B. Strike. It's a British Detective type show, circa 2017. It moved quick with the crime being solved in 3 or 4 episodes, not taking all season. Really good.

EA, I watched it and thought it was quite good. The way the story developed and the characters intertwined was very well done. It was a very dark show, but the cast was very good. My wife, who begrudgingly watches some of these shows with me recognized the actress who played Naomi. She said..." I know her. That's Mindy from Emily in Paris" LOL :LOL:

We tried Beef but turned it off about mid-way thru epi 1.

I second CB Strike on HBO. A well done detective series based in England with great characters.

Watched the first episode of Citadel on Amazon Prime. I was looking forward to its premiere, being from the Russo Brothers. It had high octane energy, conspiracy overtones, and a James Bond-like beginning. I believe it’s a 6-episode miniseries. I like it so far.

Not a dull moment in The Diplomat IMO. Very entertaining. Some of the comments those people make in the show are quite comical as well.

The comical comments are starting to annoy me around ep4 - it's not a comedy! But it's entertaining at least, even if some of the main points are implausible. Rufus Sewell is excellent, as is most of the casting.

We tried Beef but turned it off about mid-way thru epi 1.
I watched Beef because some friends said it was good. But episode 1 was all about a road rage incident, mean nasty people and I thought "Huh? My friends liked this?!" But I stuck with it and I did enjoy episodes 2 through the end - it's a dark comedy, but the quirky characters are interesting.

Finished season one of 'From' on Prime. Bummed to see that season two that just came out is on MGM Plus. Interesting and creepy and if a weird show can get weirder it certainly was by the final episode.

Finished season one of 'From' on Prime. Bummed to see that season two that just came out is on MGM Plus. Interesting and creepy and if a weird show can get weirder it certainly was by the final episode.

I watched season 1 when MGM+ had a free week.
It was the only show I wanted to watch so that worked out well for me.
I’ll keep my eyes open for another free week to watch season 2.

Gave up on "Transatlantic", too weird.
Started "The Diplomat" last night, enjoyed first 2 episodes. Too much vulgarity but looks like we'll enjoy it.

Watched the first episode of Citadel on Amazon Prime. I was looking forward to its premiere, being from the Russo Brothers. It had high octane energy, conspiracy overtones, and a James Bond-like beginning. I believe it’s a 6-episode miniseries. I like it so far.

I am an espionage genre junkie. James Bond, Jason Bourne, Mission Impossible, Burn Notice, Covert Operations, Blacklist, etc.

Watched Ep1 on Thursday night and Ep2 last night. Slick production. High production values. Looks expensive. Great sets.

Problems: Another spy show where the agents are supermen and superwomen. Fight scenes go on and on and on and on. People get their heads (literally) beat in and keep coming back for more. Two agents with handguns fend off nine assassins with shotguns and machine guns in a tightly enclosed space. A woman (yes, she's trained to fight) beats up two equally trained men twice her size. Impossible escapes and survival scenes.

Unrealistic dialogue. Yes, the Bond movies have some well placed double entendres. This show goes out of its way to fill the screen with pithy smart-aleck remarks.

The main character, played by Richard Madden, doesn't have to do much except look tough, spout off one-liners and fight. He was so good in the British production "Bodyguard" playing a conflicted, torn character guarding the British Home Secretary but is barely challenged to show emotion here. When "Bodyguard" came out Madden was rumored to be the successor to Daniel Craig as James Bond (and he would be good at it.)

The plot. Can't go into this without spoilers but to say it's far-fetched is a vast understatement. Control and KAOS from Get Smart comes to mind. There is a scene where a key piece of technology must be reacquired from a heavily secured fortress and it's achieved virtually effortlessly.

Still, I'll keep watching. It's a beautiful production and like I said I'm a sucker for espionage stories. The episodes are 40 minutes long (45 with credits) so they fly by.

Last edited:
Started watching Perry Mason, but we're not going to finish it. It's definitely gritty, but I don't think it captures the era very well. The writers need to watch a few more Humphrey Bogart movies.

Totally agree. DW and I started it but lost interest pretty quickly. There was one scene with a morbidly obese, naked man that really struck me as gratuitous and in very poor taste. That was my tipping point.

Starting The Last of Us now. Hopefully that will work out better.

The Last of Us, the first episode is really good and then it kinda got flat a bit and start to pick up again toward the end.

DW and I really liked The Last of Us. One of the best shows we've watched in the past year, I'd say.

Anyone here like Beef on Netflix? It’s an interesting series..

Yes, definitely enjoying Beef. Great acting, interesting story. Netflix needs more shows like this and less "lowest common denominator" dating/reality nonsense.

Just started Citadel on Prime Video and The Night Agent on Netflix. We thoroughly enjoyed both. The first two epis of Citadel dropped on April 28 whereas all S1 epi's of The Night Agent are available. Citadel is a good spy vs bad spy thing, a bit over the top but enjoyable. Night Agent is a political thriller in the spirit of Three Days Of The Condor.. We're liking this a just bit better.

I’m enjoying The Last Thing He Told Me on Apple TV and Gangster of Harlem on Hulu. But the Diplomat is really good, can’t wait for the next season or second half of this season.

The comical comments are starting to annoy me around ep4 - it's not a comedy! But it's entertaining at least, even if some of the main points are implausible. Rufus Sewell is excellent, as is most of the casting.

The banter and bickering (between the spouses) can be funny but definitely not a comedy.
I just finished The Diplomat and can’t wait for season 2 after the shocking ending. As a “behind the scenes” expose of what goes on with international diplomacy and foreign relations the show was intriguing.

Speaking of spouses... I'm intrigued by the new "Fatal Attraction" series on Paramount+. Still wondering how they can make a series of this. Apparently there are two timelines?

Reviews are mixed, tilting to negative. Maybe someone here can do some reconnaissance for us. :)

They just announced today that there will be The Diplomat Season 2. Not surprised at all.

Back
Top Bottom