What OLD series/movies are you watching? *Spoilers welcome!*

Perry Mason on FeTV. My dad watched it when I was a kid (it was in reruns then!). There are many famous guest stars that pop up on the show.

Hogan's Heroes on MeTV, but they are no longer available on Dish. It's interesting to read the biographies of the Austrian and German actors, who fled to the U.S. between 1933 and 1940 and Robert Clary, who was a prisoner in Buchanwald. Werner Kemperer only agreed to play Col. Klink if he was portrayed as a bumbling fool.

Perry Mason on FeTV. My dad watched it when I was a kid (it was in reruns then!). There are many famous guest stars that pop up on the show.

Hogan's Heroes on MeTV, but they are no longer available on Dish. It's interesting to read the biographies of the Austrian and German actors, who fled to the U.S. between 1933 and 1940 and Robert Clary, who was a prisoner in Buchanwald. Werner Kemperer only agreed to play Col. Klink if he was portrayed as a bumbling fool.

My friend's dad was briefly in a German POW camp. He refused to watch it and let everyone know. It was "too soon" for him. I get that.

The world has me down. My new series have run out, I'm caught up with Star Trek:Strange New Worlds.

So I decided to dig deep and tried out a few oldies from childhood like: Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, and I Dream Of Jeanie.

"I Dream of Jeannie" just cycled back to the old black and white episodes last Thursday, on Antenna TV. This is one of those shows that I was too young to miss first-run. And while "Bewitched" has been in endless reruns for as long as I can remember, we didn't start getting Jeannie reruns until the summer of '85. And then, it was only seasons 2-5, which are the color seasons.

A few years ago, I finally did start catching the old B&W episodes. And even today, there's probably a few of those I haven't seen. It's kind of weird watching them, because the theme music is different for the first season. Even my housemate, one day, walked by and asked "What the HELL is THAT?!" When I told him what it was, he joked "NO, that's a counterfeit!"

"I Dream of Jeannie" just cycled back to the old black and white episodes last Thursday, on Antenna TV. This is one of those shows that I was too young to miss first-run. And while "Bewitched" has been in endless reruns for as long as I can remember, we didn't start getting Jeannie reruns until the summer of '85. And then, it was only seasons 2-5, which are the color seasons.

A few years ago, I finally did start catching the old B&W episodes. And even today, there's probably a few of those I haven't seen. It's kind of weird watching them, because the theme music is different for the first season. Even my housemate, one day, walked by and asked "What the HELL is THAT?!" When I told him what it was, he joked "NO, that's a counterfeit!"

Yes, the first season has a totally different opening with different music. The producers hated it and worked on something for later seasons. Seasons 2 through 5 has Hugo Montenegro's opening, which is genius. (Seriously, listen to the interplay of the brass, flute and strings and have your mind blown.) This guy provided movie and TV music which still runs through society's collective brain today. Even kids can whistle the tune from "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly," and they have no reason why they know it. It wasn't his composition, but he arranged it in a new way that sticks with us all.

Season 1 is also famous for the "thee, thou, wenst" and all that middle English crap that Jeannie spoke. They eventually dropped that.

I want to say that as much as I like the complexity of the "I Dream of Jeannie" tune, there's something to be said for "Seinfeld's" completely stripped down bass doodlings. Opposite ends of the spectrum, both memorable.

The only current programming my wife and I watch is Survivor when it comes on. The rest of the time we are either watching movies or old tv series. We started with all 14 seasons of Dallas, 9 seasons of Falcon Crest, 5 seasons of Family and 8 seasons of Desperate Housewives. We are in season 3 of getting caught up on Yellowstone. We also have the complete series on CD of MASH, Friends, Seinfeld, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, the King of Queens, Sanford and Son, and All in the Family that we can watch when the urge strikes. We really don't care much for the current programming on the major networks.

This goes back a ways - how many grew up watching Sky King? I sure did, and that was a "must not miss" show. I just stumbled across a bunch of the shows on youtube. They have some of the earlier shows with the Cessna T-50 "Bamboo Bomber" and then later the more modern Cessna 310.

Can't get enough film noir from the 1940's to 1960's. I record a few over the air. I have found a bunch on archives.org. All it takes is a flawed hero and a bad woman.

Do an internet search for Humphrey Bogart or Veronica Lake or Lizabeth Scott or Gloria Grahame or Robert Mitchum. Find a movie that interests you, then track down where can I watch. Archives.org allows me to cast to my smart TV.
We have enjoyed the Thin Man movies with William Powell and Myrna Loy. Such a throwback to a different time.

I watched a few episodes of "The Young Ones", an early 80s British comedy. It used to be part of the best night of tv for me. Sunday night Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, and The Young Ones. Still cracks me up.

"I Dream of Jeannie" just cycled back to the old black and white episodes last Thursday, on Antenna TV.
I just re-scanned my TV and now have the Antenna channel (as a subchannel).

Really interesting and eclectic (Benny Hill to Wings) mix of old shows that they have spanning the 50s through 90s.

A few years ago I binged on the entire series of The Munsters and The Adams Family. I've always had a crush on Morticia. :angel:

I just re-scanned my TV and now have the Antenna channel (as a subchannel).

Really interesting and eclectic (Benny Hill to Wings) mix of old shows that they have spanning the 50s through 90s.

Another one that's pretty good is MeTV. They have a lot of classic sitcoms as well, but also air old westerns, as well as Dragnet, Adam 12, The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Hour (sometimes they switch back and forth between this and the more popular 1/2 hour "Alfred Hitchcock Presents"). Mannix, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Highway Patrol. On weekends they run some sci fi and action stuff like The Time Tunnel, The Invaders, Mission Impossible, The Fugitive, etc.

And I'll admit a guilty pleasure that I've gotten into...that old sci-fi kids show with the puppets..."The Thunderbirds". I used to rag on it as a kid, because you could see the strings on the puppets and such. But nowadays, where just about everything is CGI, and so blatantly obvious even on the most expensive productions, it gives me a new respect for all the work that went into that show...the miniature models, the marionettes, the explosions and such. And some of the plotlines themselves would have made for some pretty good movies, in their own right.

And I'll admit a guilty pleasure that I've gotten into...that old sci-fi kids show with the puppets..."The Thunderbirds". I used to rag on it as a kid, because you could see the strings on the puppets and such. But nowadays, where just about everything is CGI, and so blatantly obvious even on the most expensive productions, it gives me a new respect for all the work that went into that show...the miniature models, the marionettes, the explosions and such. And some of the plotlines themselves would have made for some pretty good movies, in their own right.
Yeah, I never could get into it because of the cheesy production.

Instead, I watched "Clutch Cargo," which perhaps had even worse production. It was basically a series of storyboards with live human mouths showing dialog. Good stories, though.

"The Fugitive" was fabulous. I need to grab some old episodes. I remember watching the last episodes with family as a very young guy.

But forever in syndication.

And then there were the similar themed "man against the world" series such and The Invaders (mentioned above) and The Immortal (1970 series with Christopher George).

If you really want some fun watch the spy show, the original Mission: Impossible series with Peter Graves, Steven Hill, Greg Morris, Barbara Bain et al. Very clever and smart. 7 seasons.

And if you like those old police shows the 6 episodes of Police Squad! with Leslie Nielsen are fabulous. Might have to get VHS or DVDs for that.

I have to disagree with you on that, I think Festus is a great character and well played by Ken Curtis.

Well, I like Festus just fine, it's just that I like Chester better.

Speaking of old TV series, identify this mystery TV star.

Mystery-TV-Star1.jpg

Well, I like Festus just fine, it's just that I like Chester better.

I wonder if it just depends on who you grew up with? Chester was in the earlier episodes, which are rarely shown in reruns, so he's just not that familiar to me. Gunsmoke went off the air when I was around 5, so I don't remember much about it, except I'm thinking it came on Monday nights at 8. I do vaguely remember my parents letting me watch the opening credits, but then I had to go to bed.

But, I've seen Gunsmoke tons of times, in reruns. They've almost always been the Festus episodes. I've seen a Chester episode every once in awhile, and I guess I just got so used to Festus, Chester just doesn't feel "right" somehow!

Similarly, I know a lot of people hate the Darrin #2 in "Bewitched". But, that show went off the air when I was 2, so I only really know it from endless reruns. For the longest time they only showed the color episodes, which meant that Dick York and Dick Sargent got equal screen time for me. I've just come to accept the two Darrins as a fact of life, and like them both in their own way. They replaced Aunt Clara with Esmerelda around the same time. I think most people prefer Aunt Clara, but again, I like them both.

I didn't see a black and white episode of "Bewitched" until I was in my early 20s, so to me, Sandra Gould was the "real" Mrs. Kravitz. Although oddly, I saw her on a B&W ep of Jeannie this morning, in a bit role as Tony's housekeeper! I prefer Sandra Gould to Alice Pearce when it comes to Mrs. Kravitz, but to me, I think it's just because that's who I grew up with.

One minor character change that I really don't like though, is the guy who played Darrin's father. I'm too lazy to look up the actors' names, but in most cases he was played by the guy who was the president of the CF&W Railroad on "Petticoat Junction," Norman Curtis. On "Bewitched" I thought he was a likeable guy. Distinguished, level-headed, and pretty good at putting up with his wife when she pulled one of those "FRANK, I have a sick headache!" moments. But, a couple times they slipped in another guy to play the Darrin's father, and he seemed, well, kind of goofy.

I wonder if it just depends on who you grew up with? Chester was in the earlier episodes, which are rarely shown in reruns, so he's just not that familiar to me. Gunsmoke went off the air when I was around 5, so I don't remember much about it, except I'm thinking it came on Monday nights at 8. I do vaguely remember my parents letting me watch the opening credits, but then I had to go to bed.

I've seen more Chester episodes than Festus episodes. I think Chester seems more sincere and innocent. Dennis Weaver's performance is more nuanced. As an actor I think Ken Curtis (Festus) overdoes the facial expressions and the physical slapstick. It as if he thinks he's still on vaudeville. Festus's drawl just bugs me.

As a character they both fulfill the role of Matt Dillon's sidekick. However, Dillon would never deputize Chester, whereas I think Festus became a deputy at some point in the series.

I've also listened to most of the Gunsmoke radio series, where Chester Goode is known as Chester Proudfoot and is played by a different actor.

But, I've seen Gunsmoke tons of times, in reruns. They've almost always been the Festus episodes. I've seen a Chester episode every once in awhile, and I guess I just got so used to Festus, Chester just doesn't feel "right" somehow!

I can understand that feeling of a character not feeling just right.

I think Gunsmoke is still on MeTV? Or was it Inspiration TV? Anyway, the early episodes of 30 minutes are all Chester episodes. There's some real good episodes in there. If you get Paramount Plus they have season 7, which is the first year the show went to 60 minute episodes. No Festus, all Chester in season 7. Video quality on Paramount Plus is outstanding and no commercials.

Last edited:
If you really want some fun watch the spy show, the original Mission: Impossible series with Peter Graves, Steven Hill, Greg Morris, Barbara Bain et al. Very clever and smart. 7 seasons.

It is outstanding. I recently watched a few. And the theme song is beyond iconic, definitely in the top 10 recognizable themes in TV history, especially now that it lives in re-arranged form in the movies.

My wife and I have been binging ER. She watched it religiously when I was deployed. I'd seen some, but have enjoyed watching the entire series. Up to Season 11 now.

Some great old shows listed here. Fun memories!
We will watch oldies quite a bit, I don't like many of the new shows. Not too many new comedy shows on right now.

Back
Top Bottom