What OLD series/movies are you watching? *Spoilers welcome!*

Watching Steets Of San Francisco on MeTV+. Far out early '70s man.

There must have been a Hitchcock-focused event on TCM recently as I found myself with several of his films recorded. One that I hadn’t seen before was The Wrong Man, good but very un-Hitchcock-like in that it was filmed in a documentary style rather than suspense.

The female lead is Vera Miles and I learned she also had a major role in Psycho as the sister of Janet Leigh who comes to investigate after the infamous shower scene. Miles is also the one who finally discovers Norman Bates’ mother in the cellar.

The female lead is Vera Miles and I learned she also had a major role in Psycho as the sister of Janet Leigh who comes to investigate after the infamous shower scene. Miles is also the one who finally discovers Norman Bates’ mother in the cellar.
Vera Miles was supposed to be the Kim Novak character in "Veritgo." I think she would have done better.

She starred in "The Twilight Zone" episode named "Mirror Image" S1E21. She did a great job with really fine acting. It is a decent episode that would fit right into a "Black Mirror" episode today.

Vera Miles was supposed to be the Kim Novak character in "Veritgo." I think she would have done better.

You may be right, she might have. But Novak has this almost unreal-like beauty as if she were a porcelain doll that fits in with James Stewart’s obsession.

You may be right, she might have. But Novak has this almost unreal-like beauty as if she were a porcelain doll that fits in with James Stewart’s obsession.

Yeah, on second thought, perhaps Miles' natural beauty I just witnessed last night in that "Twilight Zone" episode clouded my judgement. Novak's Madeleine had a weird sort of beauty that you describe as porcelain doll, which is perfect. And that's the point, right? Scottie spends part of the movie trying to make her more natural in look. And this is the very uncomfortable part of the movie at that.

Next time, I'll have to withhold my judgement on any actor after immediately seeing them in another work. It can cloud one's judgement.

Last edited:
Oh the "Mirror Image" episode of "The Twilight Zone" is eerie as hell! I wonder was that episode kept out of reruns for awhile, or something? My "relationship" for lack of a better word, with "The Twilight Zone" can be split up into three times in my life: The 1980s, the 1990s, and "current."

I don't think I ever saw a Twilight Zone rerun until the movie came out, around 1984. I can remember CBS (most likely) dusting off the three episodes that were made for the movie: "Kick the Can," "It's a Good Life,", and "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet." and airing them. Oddly, the commercial promos were using Danny and the Juniors "Let's Go To the Hop." as background music. Anyway, soon after that, there was a big nostalgia kick, and CBS did a new "Twilight Zone" for the 1985-86 season, that came on Friday nights. One of the local stations started showing reruns of the old show, fairly late at night, like 11 pm. I don't ever remember seeing it, from back then.

Eventually the nostalgia faded, I guess, and they swapped out "The Twilight Zone" for "Night Gallery", around 1988-89, and soon even that faded.

At some point in the 1990s, the Sci Fi channel picked up the Twilight Zone, and marathons around the 4th of July and New Year's became a regular thing. Still, I don't remember ever seeing "Mirror Image" during those years, either.

I'd say it probably wasn't until the last decade, perhaps, that I saw it for the first time. I know there's a couple episodes they tend to keep from reruns: "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge," and "The Encounter." "Occurrence" was actually a French short film, I believe, that they bought the rights to, and simply slapped Rod Serling's opening and closing on. I think they only had the right to air it once or twice, and it didn't start showing up in syndication until comparatively recently. Oddly, Alfred Hitchcock Presents also did their own adaptation of this story.

"The Encounter" got pulled because it comes off as anti-Asian. And, the entire fourth season is pretty rare, because they were an hour long, and don't get shown that often in reruns. But, I wonder if there were other episodes, over the years, that got pulled?

Another one I don't remember seeing until somewhat recently, is "A Quality of Mercy" or something like that. It dealt with the ending days of WW2, and a US platoon leader suddenly finds himself switched with "the enemy" and sees things through their eyes. Only problem is, that involved some bad makeup, to try and make Caucasian actors appear Asian, and today probably comes off as unintentionally funny, yet racist, at the same time.

"Little Girl Lost" is another one that I don't remember seeing, until somewhat recently. And its style, to me at least, seems a bit "off" compared to most Twilight Zone episodes. It almost feels more like an "Outer Limits" episode cut down to 30 minutes. Its plot involves a little girl who falls out of bed during the night and ends up slipping into another dimension.

I guess it's possible that somehow I just missed seeing these episodes during the 80's, and the 90's? Or simply don't remember. But as much as I used to watch the show, I really am wondering if, for whatever reason, some of those other episodes were skipped over as well?

About twice a week I click on Friends. For some reason, it reminds me of crazy fun times in my youth. I didn't live in NY city but the relationships are similar from my 20s. Each character has a hint of someone I knew or hung out with.

I guess it's possible that somehow I just missed seeing these episodes during the 80's, and the 90's? Or simply don't remember. But as much as I used to watch the show, I really am wondering if, for whatever reason, some of those other episodes were skipped over as well?

Syndicators may have had access but chose to not use them.

I remember seeing "City on the Edge of Forever" in Star Trek reruns frequently. They put it on high rotation. It is like a radio station's playlist.

I read up a bit on Serling this morning and it turns out he had a very traumatic war experience in the Pacific theater. It isn't a coincidence that some of these Pacific war themes come through.

Thank you for the pointer to "The Encounter". I'll have to check it out. It features George Takei. That alone makes me want to see it.

BTW: I'm watching these on Paramount+. I'm paying for streaming. TZ reruns alone have been worth it.
---

The subject of race topics in old movies and TV shows is tricky. Some are truly vile and abhorrent, even for the time, and really need to go to the dust bin. Others are just a product of their time, and if viewed as such, they can be both entertaining and instructive, if anything to just show us how far we've come.

So many of the episodes of "The Office" would not be made today. Even at the time, though, we realize that Michael has a problem. He's both lovable, and the supreme jerk. That's part of the tension of the show.

Haven't seen Marcus Welby MD or Medical Center on reruns in years. I enjoyed both of them.
Maybe they were destroyed in the studio fire I heard about years ago?
Other good ones I can't find: St Elsewhere, LA Law (early ones), going way back : Dr Kildare and Ben Casey MD :)

I've always wondered about "Marcus Welby." I like Robert Young, so there's a good chance I might like that show. The only time I can even remember a reference to it is from "Mama's Family". It was at the end of one of the older NBC episodes, a dialogue Mama and Aunt Fran. It went something like...

Mama: "Well everybody else in this house drinks regular coffee and besides, you couldn't tell the difference between coffee and prune juice!"
Aunt Fran: "Thelma, do you know what prune juice does to you?!"
Mama: "Well I know what it does to YOU! You'll have your precious decaf by tomorrow if I have to get MARCUS WELBY here in person!!"

I never understood that reference, but at the time it did make the live audience crack up. The only thing I can think of, did any coffee company ever use Robert Young in their decaf commercials, perhaps?

Re: The Twilight Zone on Paramount+ , are they the uncut episodes, which originally ran about 25-26 minutes, or the cut-down versions meant for syndication, which I think are down to about 20 minutes these days?

I actually have the entire Twilight Zone on DVD, and they're the original, uncut ones. But, I'm too lazy to mess with the DVD player these days. And, it's a 5-box set, but it's not by season, and not in order, so if you want a specific episode, you have to read the back of each box until you find it.

Haven't seen Marcus Welby MD or Medical Center on reruns in years. I enjoyed both of them.
Other good ones I can't find: St Elsewhere, LA Law (early ones), going way back : Dr Kildare and Ben Casey MD :)

That's a great question.

Marcus Welby MD is available on Prime or Apple if you pay. Can't find Medical Center.

I wonder if they are out of common syndication because so much has changed and you might get bad modern advice?

By the same token, "Emergency" is in heavy syndication and has all kinds of scenarios that would be handled differently today. But since the patient isn't in control, there's less room for bad advice?

I loved Marcus Welby as a kid, but it made me a hypochondriac. I was so afraid of getting meningitis after one episode I saw.

As for Emergency, I thought California was so cool. In my neighborhood, they still were loading people up in converted Cadillac ambulances and shipping them off.

Re: The Twilight Zone on Paramount+ , are they the uncut episodes, which originally ran about 25-26 minutes, or the cut-down versions meant for syndication, which I think are down to about 20 minutes these days?

The timer always shows 25 to 26 minutes. I think they are uncut.

They include Mr. Serling's preview of the episode from next week, which are actually pretty cool because he provides a little 15 seconds worth of perspective of the theme, actor, or even writer (if it isn't him) of the next episode. I'm pretty sure those were cut for syndication.

Watching the old Gunsmoke series again. The ones with Chester (Dennis Weaver) in them. They are on a couple of channels and I'm watching a couple of episodes each day. Hard to believe I'm seeing some for the first time. :) Or as best as I can recall.:LOL:

LA Law is on Amazon Prime Video.

Yep. There's a reason you don't see Laugh-In running in syndication. It is ponderous after an episode or two. One way to summarize watching it today is: "You had to be there."
That’s a good point. Much of Laugh-In humor was derived from current issues and culture of the day and it just doesn’t resonate today.

I saw an interview with Stanley Livingston—Chip—and watched a few early My Three Sons on YouTube. I’d forgotten that William Frawley played their “maid” before Uncle Charley.

I saw an interview with Stanley Livingston—Chip—and watched a few early My Three Sons on YouTube. I’d forgotten that William Frawley played their “maid” before Uncle Charley.

Loved My Three Sons. Lots of other greats mentioned in this thread. I still miss Buffy and mourn the death of Spike.

Frasier is a go-to of mine when I’m in the mood to laugh. The Dick Van Dyke show as well. Will have to check out Barney Miller again as I remember my mother loving it when I was a kid. I suspect I’ll appreciate it even more as an adult.

Tripped over “The Lady Vanishes” which was one of Hitchcock’s earlier films. 1938, I think. Before we watched I wasn’t sure what to expect. But, wow, the dialogue was fantastic! Smart, witty, and moved at a great pace. Fantastic film and highly recommended.

I’ve been watching a few old movies using Amazon digital credits. Last one was “Real Genius” which DH had never seen. Pretty cute for enginerds.

Before that we watched “The Sting” which I had never seen.

"My Three Sons" is really interesting to me as a "Generation Jones" baby (1963).

I only knew Uncle Charley and Ernie. And who is Mike? What is this "Bub" you speak of?

We watched it first run, and my siblings would talk about the old days.

Later I saw a few early episodes and couldn't believe it. Wait, that's Fred, Jackie Gleason's neighbor. Turns out my older siblings were not buffoons.

I didn't watch it much in syndication. It seemed like I watched it because the older girls in the family liked it. I guess the guys were hunks and stories about marriage and babies were on their mind. There were triplets, right?

Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges - this series got a lot of folks my age into scuba diving. So glad we have better equipment now!

Columbo - "uh just more thing..."

Seinfeld - when DW and I just need to veg out and laugh. Such great writing.

"The Shoes Of The Fisherman." Marvelous cast, led by Anthony Quinn. After the novel by Morris L. West. An engrossing story. So much depends upon what one man can do.

"In Harm's Way." Patricia Neal, John Wayne, Burgess Meredith. Paula Prentiss. Tom Tryon. Kirk Douglas. Henry Fonda. Stanley Holloway. WW II Pacific Theater. Love it.

"Das Boot." Edge of your seat.

It so happens that they are available for FREE right now:

Ridiculous "age-restricted" stupid junk. Warnings about violence, smoking, bad air, bad hair, cuss words, lousy food. Warning us against real life. Crazy dumb and absurd.

Ridiculous "age-restricted" stupid junk. Warnings about violence, smoking, bad air, bad hair, cuss words, lousy food. Warning us against real life. Crazy dumb and absurd.

You saw "Das Boot" too?

:LOL:

Seriously, I have not seen "In Harm's Way." That's going to take a commitment.

I saw "Das Boot" in the theater. I very good film.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom