What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late last night I received a message that one of the residents in our neighborhood might have Covid. This morning, after speaking with one of the physicians that lives here, the resident in question is on a ventilator in the hospital. What makes this situation even worse, is sick neighbor has children who have been out playing with and inside the homes of other neighborhood kids. Our neighborhood is going into a bit of panic.

If I were in your hood I would be panicking too especially if one of my children had been play with and visiting sick neighbor's child

Late last night I received a message that one of the residents in our neighborhood might have Covid. This morning, after speaking with one of the physicians that lives here, the resident in question is on a ventilator in the hospital.
Wait, your neighbor, the physician, told you that your other neighbor was in the ICU on a ventilator? Ah...

I see that mentioned several times. But they’ve downplayed certain ways of human transmission before, and later revised it when shown otherwise. And children in the US have been getting ill, and some have even died.

Kids have been kept out of school and away from public entertainments. I think we might find out otherwise when kids return to school.

I have ADPKD, polycystic kidney disease discovered in 2017 from a CT scan. I'm at perfect weight, BP great without meds average ~110/70, low salt etc. And have cancer history but free from it now. Covid attacks organs, kidneys.

After much discussion yesterday, DH canceled his plans. Here's icing on the cake, the organizer of these outings, they take place every 2 years, is an ER(emergency not early retired)-MD and has been for over 30 years. He's is one of the few in the group who believes we should not have shut down the economy and let this virus play out.

Because of your condition, you are wise to stay sheltered until a vaccine or positive method of treatment is found. I am in the same camp as your MD friend. Originally, we were led to believe that this was some rogue manufactured bioweapon that was going to wipe humanity off the face of the Earth. However, that has been pretty much debunked, but still a remote possibility. We flattened the curve as to not overwhelm the hospitals, and we have found various treatments that have increased the survival rate, but not a single one yet has stood out yet. One would think that this virus would wipe out the homeless, the poor, and those in shelters, but it has been shown that many of these folks have been afflicted and were asymptomatic. Unfortunately, most of the deaths have occurred in nursing homes, where other vulnerabilities lurked. Recently,the CDC has given a 0.26% death rate, including those who have been tested as asymptomatic, similar to the rate the Stanford study predicted back in April. A Canadian study gives a rate of 6 deaths per million for those under 65, which are pretty good odds to me, as I just turned 62. I will wear my mask in retail stores, continue to buy takeout at local restaurants, pray that my church opens soon, and look forward to flying west in a few weeks. Stay well, Rianne.

Late last night I received a message that one of the residents in our neighborhood might have Covid. This morning, after speaking with one of the physicians that lives here, the resident in question is on a ventilator in the hospital. What makes this situation even worse, is sick neighbor has children who have been out playing with and inside the homes of other neighborhood kids. Our neighborhood is going into a bit of panic.
One of my neighbors is an anesthesiologist. She contracted COVID-19 back in March (probably at work) and stayed at home to recover. To the best of my knowledge, none of the neighbors freaked out; many left food on her doorstep. There are no children in our neighborhood. If there were, the reaction may have been different. In any event, she is now fully recovered and back to work, and her husband did not catch it from her. I talked to her out in the yard two weeks ago and she said she was feeling fine.

One of my neighbors is an anesthesiologist. She contracted COVID-19 back in March (probably at work) and stayed at home to recover. To the best of my knowledge, none of the neighbors freaked out; many left food on her doorstep. There are no children in our neighborhood. If there were, the reaction may have been different. In any event, she is now fully recovered and back to work, and her husband did not catch it from her. I talked to her out in the yard two weeks ago and she said she was feeling fine.

It's hard to keep some of our residents from overreacting, especially the ones with kids. As HOA President, at this time, all I can tell them due to privacy concerns is that we had a case in our neighborhood and to follow CDC guidance for social distancing, wear a face mask, and wash hands. Family with the infected individual is self-quarantining. I'll leave it to the County Health Dept to do any contact tracing.

Just checked our Sunday morning paper. Our zip code has the highest # of cases in our county, 65. Our zip population is 30,175. .215% Our HHS has the opinion the real case # is 10x, but testing has expanded. We now have 2 drive thru testing sites.

Our zip has known infected number of 1.25 percent , and we are surrounded by zips that have a higher infected rate.

Good luck to you and your family for avoidance.
These types of close to home situations can be scary and make everything more real.

Our zip has known infected number of 1.25 percent , and we are surrounded by zips that have a higher infected rate.

We have around 75 cases for 65k zip code population. 1 death who died in NJ.

Good luck to you and your family for avoidance.
These types of close to home situations can be scary and make everything more real.

I have absolutely no concerns for DW or myself as do not have young kids that might have been exposed, but the reaction of those that do is understandable.

Good news, finally! From Bloomberg article

"Researchers are finding evidence that patients who test positive for the coronavirus after recovering aren’t capable of transmitting the infection, and could have the antibodies that prevent them from falling sick again.
Scientists from the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied 285 Covid-19 survivors who had tested positive for the coronavirus after their illness had apparently resolved, as indicated by a previous negative test result. The so-called re-positive patients weren’t found to have spread any lingering infection, and virus samples collected from them couldn’t be grown in culture, indicating the patients were shedding non-infectious or dead virus particles."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ing-positive-after-recovery-aren-t-infectious

Yes that has been alluded to in various articles, so it’s good to have it spelled out.

But all those people still horribly ill yet testing negative - the virus is no longer present in the nose and upper respiratory tract, it is deep in the lungs. Earlier testing may catch it in the nose, but later testing of someone terribly ill is often negative.

Yes that has been alluded to in various articles, so it’s good to have it spelled out.

But all those people still horribly ill yet testing negative - the virus is no longer present in the nose and upper respiratory tract, it is deep in the lungs. Earlier testing may catch it in the nose, but later testing of someone terribly ill is often negative.
That certainly explains a lot! DH tested negative after 2 weeks of pretty obvious symptoms. I had to go through hoops to get the test approved by insurance. He's recovered and doing fine. He did go to emergency care, finally.

Received an update that this resident has tested negative for Covid after two tests. Still in hospital on a ventilator, and did have symptoms indicative of Covid. Understand they do not yet know what is causing his condition.

Good news, finally! From Bloomberg article

"Researchers are finding evidence that patients who test positive for the coronavirus after recovering aren’t capable of transmitting the infection, and could have the antibodies that prevent them from falling sick again.
Scientists from the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied 285 Covid-19 survivors who had tested positive for the coronavirus after their illness had apparently resolved, as indicated by a previous negative test result. The so-called re-positive patients weren’t found to have spread any lingering infection, and virus samples collected from them couldn’t be grown in culture, indicating the patients were shedding non-infectious or dead virus particles."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ing-positive-after-recovery-aren-t-infectious

I think the WHO still cautions that we don't know the extent of immunity yet.

With about 4.7 million infections worldwide, including over 2.5 million recovered cases, if reinfections were common, we'd hear about more of them, though the Navy says 13 members of the USS Roosevelt were reinfected or at least tested positive again.

We should know by fall or winter if there are a lot of reinfections.

You see that many experts will say we still don't know how much antibodies will protect against reinfection or for how long. Some corona viruses are associated with seasonal common colds, where you don't get immunity to them.

The other thing is that some drug or vaccine trial showed antibodies but didn't really reduce the viral count in the lower or upper respiratory tract.

Finally some experts say that vaccines may not be fully effective. It may prevent lower respiratory problems or systemic issues but still infect the upper respiratory tract. In essence it would be turning C19 into something more akin to the common cold. They say this would still be a very good outcome.

Received an update that this resident has tested negative for Covid after two tests. Still in hospital on a ventilator, and did have symptoms indicative of Covid. Understand they do not yet know what is causing his condition.

When the virus is deep in the lungs, it may no longer be detected in the nasal passages. This is not unusual for a very sick patient - the normal swabbing doesn’t work.

https://news.yahoo.com/asymptomatic-covid-19-cases-may-174355732.html

While I suspect the Chinese statistics, the Australian stats about their Antarctica cruise is encouraging. 59% of those on board a mid March cruise ship to Antarctica were tested positive, and 81% of those who tested positive, were asymptomatic. Similar to the 60% asymptomatic of the Navy ship's crew.

When the virus is deep in the lungs, it may no longer be detected in the nasal passages. This is not unusual for a very sick patient - the normal swabbing doesn’t work.

I am not sure how they tested him a 2nd time as he was on a ventilator, possibly a blood test:confused:?

I am not sure how they tested him a 2nd time as he was on a ventilator, possibly a blood test:confused:?
I have read that somehow getting a sample from deep in the lungs may detect it for these cases. Sorry I don’t have the article link handy as it was a few days ago I read it, but it talked about how people very sick with deep lung infections, including on ventilators, often test negative because the virus is no longer in their upper respiratory tract, yet is active deep in the lungs. The virus might also be detectable in the stool, but I don’t know if that is used much. They can certainly detect community outbreaks by testing the sewage.

https://rt.live/

Gives the R0 which reflects how fast the virus is growing/declining in a state. Greater than 1 means increased infections. Less than 1 means decreased infections.

That's a great link Thank you I like that it's standardized for all states and is easy to follow.

I’ve been watching that, and several states are moving back into the red, including TX!

Did you see the individual state charts? Ove the last 30 days Texas is leveling off and might be decreasing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom