What We’re Smoking (or Grilling, or Curing)!

Well this should fit in here.... DW has been experimenting with different ideas to use up some figs... We are picking about a gallon every other day. So she tried a Balsamic Fig Vinegar recipe, Chop up figs, dash of Balsamic Vinegar, several hours in the slow cooker. Run thru a press, Then strain and bottle....
Well the left over goo from straining was used to baste pork chops on the Blackstone last night... added a wonderful, caramelized coating. wondering how it would work on a smoked pork butt.

I don’t eat pork but I love balsamic vinegar and figs. That sounds absolutely delicious.

I'm considering giving myself a Traeger Pellet Grill for my Birthday present in just over a month from now:cool:. It would not be a very expensive one as we have a good Weber grill but smoking anything on the Weber is not easy to do. It's a great grill otherwise.

Since I have never dealt with pellets, which brand of pellets are the best to use? And any other "tips" would be welcome in this new adventure for me. Thanks.

I have a Weber gas grill - the Genesis series. The Traeger is an excellent companion. I generally do only lower temperature cooking (low and slow smoking) on the Traeger and only higher temp grilling on the Weber.

I recommend going at least for their mid-range “pro” series as there are lots of improvements compared to their cheapest models: bigger hoppers, better drain pans, better temp control, larger grill area, chimney, etc.

These days I use my Traeger far more often then I use my Weber. I ended up upgrading to a Pro Series 22” model and couldn’t be happier.

So far I’ve just used Traeger pellets. I order them from Amazon these days as the nearby shops haven’t stocked as much since the pandemic.

I have a Weber gas grill - the Genesis series. The Traeger is an excellent companion. I generally do only lower temperature cooking (low and slow smoking) on the Traeger and only higher temp grilling on the Weber.

I recommend going at least for their mid-range “pro” series as there are lots of improvements compared to their cheapest models: bigger hoppers, better drain pans, better temp control, larger grill area, chimney, etc.

These days I use my Traeger far more often then I use my Weber. I ended up upgrading to a Pro Series 22” model and couldn’t be happier.

So far I’ve just used Traeger pellets. I order them from Amazon these days as the nearby shops haven’t stocked as much since the pandemic.

Thanks. This is the model I am looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Traeger-TFB5...624-9f60-7d5426ea0026&pd_rd_i=B07GLK1NC2&th=1

Ha ha, that’s exactly what I have including the bronze cover and overall I’ve been very happy with it. I bought mine from a local grill/smoker dealer who delivered it assembled. It’s quite heavy!

Only occasionally do I wish I had a larger grill surface - it’s a bit tight for two bacon slabs. But in general there is plenty of room for what I do.

The newer models come with 4 wheels which makes moving much easier. This smoker is heavy, and not that easy to move around. Not an issue is you don't move it much.

I use BBQ Go Bluetooth temp probes, so I haven’t missed having WiFi built into the grill.

You’ll want to get the folding shelf for it - I picked one up at Target.

Also, Costco carries some of the pellets as do Home Depot and Ace Hardware. You can see some of the models there too.

Last edited:
Ha ha, that’s exactly what I have including the bronze cover and overall I’ve been very happy with it. I bought mine from a local grill/smoker dealer who delivered it assembled. It’s quite heavy!

Only occasionally do I wish I had a larger grill surface - it’s a bit tight for two bacon slabs. But in general there is plenty of room for what I do.

The newer models come with 4 wheels which makes moving much easier. This smoker is heavy, and not that easy to move around. Not an issue is you don't move it much.

I use BBQ Go Bluetooth temp probes, so I haven’t missed having WiFi built into the grill.

You’ll want to get the folding shelf for it - I picked one up at Target.

Also, Costco carries some of the pellets as do Home Depot and Ace Hardware. You can see some of the models there too.

Thanks, I don't really care about WiFi as I'll be here when the thing is cooking. And for only two of us, this size should be sufficient. Our Weber is a newer Genesis model also. Great grill.

We have been buying H.E.B. precooked/smoked and sliced briskets when the kids/friends are here for a holiday or dinner. Those are expensive and not great for the cost. I'd rather smoke my own and have some fun doing it.

I think I’ve done up to a 15 pound brisket no prob, including a small water bowl on the side. Takes most of the space. The deep hopper is important for the brisket. When I wrap my brisket in butcher paper I finish it in the oven because at that point I don’t need to keep burning pellets anymore.

When you get it let me know and I’ll share a few more tips.

I’ve only recently found this site and thrilled to have found this thread! I’m an avid griller/smoker and have used just about every grill/smoker available, except a pellet grill. My current setup is a built-in natural gasser and a Kamado Joe Classic 3. Weber Kettle with Slow n Sear and Pit Barrel Cooker are still in the arsenal, but sit on the sideline most of the time. Recently got rid of my 20 year old offset, as it was just too much work.

I’ve only had my KJ for a little over a year, but absolutely love it. It’s so efficient, it can hold a steady temp for more than 12 hours with no action required on my part. It can also get to incredibly high temps for searing things like steaks.

I was going to post a pic of a grilled Chilean sea bass from a recent cook, but it doesn’t seem that this site allows pictures to be pasted. Oh well, I look forward to reading and contributing!

Well, I have been researching pellet grills and smokers for two days now and I have come to the conclusion that one should take a college course on this subject.

I have read countless reviews on all manufacturer's units and they are all pretty close in quality and features. Obviously, the more you spend, the more you get. As far as choices to buy for us, I am uncertain at this point. I was going to buy a Traeger, but now, not so sure.:blush:

Every brand has a sale going now and this parallels with the mattress sale guys in numbers, styles and levels of spending. :facepalm:

I'm sure I will have a decision buy the end of the weekend. I am playing golf Sunday morning with some friends that have smokers and I'll see what they are using.

Just smoked a pork loin for a party yesterday. Slathered in mustard, sprinkled with dry rub and smoked with plum. Never got so many compliments!

I have recently begun smoking pork loin. I brine overnight first. Have not tried the mustard and plum, but I have tried dry rub. Will have to negotiate with DW.

Well, I have been researching pellet grills and smokers for two days now and I have come to the conclusion that one should take a college course on this subject.

I have read countless reviews on all manufacturer's units and they are all pretty close in quality and features. Obviously, the more you spend, the more you get. As far as choices to buy for us, I am uncertain at this point. I was going to buy a Traeger, but now, not so sure.:blush:

Every brand has a sale going now and this parallels with the mattress sale guys in numbers, styles and levels of spending. :facepalm:

I'm sure I will have a decision buy the end of the weekend. I am playing golf Sunday morning with some friends that have smokers and I'll see what they are using.

If you have your heart set on a pellet grill, I wouldn’t want to interfere. But if you haven’t made that decision you may want to consider kamado-style cookers, like Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe. I went through the evaluations and love the versatility of the kamado. They can go low and slow for hours and hours with no adjustments needed, much like a pellet grill, but they can go to inferno mode as well - like 800°+ - something that pellet grills can’t do. They can cook pizzas, rotisserie cooks, and because of the ceramics, many people even bake in them. Most are warranted for life, as they’re built like tanks (and weigh almost as much). Just wanted to throw it out there if you’re still in decision mode.

A pellet grill is just about the only type of grill I’ve never owned, so I can’t speak from any experience with them.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

I've come across a perfect way to grill skinless/boneless chicken breasts. Usually they will be tough and dried out by the time the thick part gets to a safe 165 degrees. Because of that, I've left skin on to protect the meat, but then all the seasonings are cooked off or not on the meat that I intend to eat. There's injecting, marinating, brining, etc. but all take time to plan ahead. If beat all that and here's the secret:
Start with FROZEN breasts. Spray with olive oil and dust with Montreal Chicken seasoning and preheat the grill on HIGH. Get that grill up to 500 before tossing the frozen, oiled and seasoned breasts on the grill. Rotate every 3 to 5 minutes to give good sear grill marks on both sides, then turn the grill down to low and close the lid. Check with a thermapen every 5 to 8 minutes until the thickest part of the meat reaches 160. Then pull and let rest. It will bounce up to the safe 165. The meat will be tender enough to cut with a fork and retain all it's moisture. I'll top the meat with various slices of cheese the last 5 minutes just to give it an extra kick. Swiss of course is the go-to for white meat chicken if you want a suggestion. The best part about this is that it's very tasty and easy to do when unexpected guests drop in. No thawing and no fear of bacteria with raw chicken laying out on the counter. I keep trying to take photos, but we eat it too fast! Ha!
For a treat, slice it and put it on toasted sourdough with avocado, tomato slices and some mayo and brown mustard. Oh BOY!

If you have your heart set on a pellet grill, I wouldn’t want to interfere. But if you haven’t made that decision you may want to consider kamado-style cookers, like Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe. I went through the evaluations and love the versatility of the kamado. They can go low and slow for hours and hours with no adjustments needed, much like a pellet grill, but they can go to inferno mode as well - like 800°+ - something that pellet grills can’t do. They can cook pizzas, rotisserie cooks, and because of the ceramics, many people even bake in them. Most are warranted for life, as they’re built like tanks (and weigh almost as much). Just wanted to throw it out there if you’re still in decision mode.

A pellet grill is just about the only type of grill I’ve never owned, so I can’t speak from any experience with them.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

Thanks! I haven't looked into the kamando type cookers yet but will do some research. :)

Do the Kamado type cookers use charcoal? Personally that’s one of the things l like most about my pellet grill - pure wood smoke, no charcoal flavor.

Do the Kamado type cookers use charcoal? Personally that’s one of the things l like most about my pellet grill - pure wood smoke, no charcoal flavor.

They use natural lump charcoal, which is completely different from briquettes. Hotter burning and no added fillers so the smoke is clean. I've been using a BGE exclusively for many years and I love it.

So you don’t taste a charcoal flavor in your food?

Not at all. I use only high quality lump from a very reputable source, so it's really clean. I need to add some smoking wood chunks for many cooks.

Some of the lump on the market has suspect sources and will give an unpleasant effect, so you do need to evaluate what you're using.

OK, thanks, didn’t know that.

Also much less ash residue?

I may have to try lump charcoal in the little Weber kettle grill I sometimes use at my sister’s house.

ETA: I started throwing a cherry chunk or two on the coals which really improved the flavor even for fast cooking stuff like steaks, but it would be even better to get rid of the charcoal flavor.

Last edited:
201 degrees is usually where I go. It may not be tender at those lower temps.

The real test of doneness/tenderness is how malleable the brisket is and how easily something like a toothpick pierces it. You probably know this. You don’t want any stiff parts.

I agree. Elevation has nothing to do with cook temperatures or finish temperatures. Elevation only has to do with boiling point of water. Higher elevations causes water to boil at lower temperatures and will increase cook times. I would keep a remote probe or 3 in that chunk of meat and monitor it as well, pulling when they average 201 up to 205.
Here's the thermometer I use. It has 4 probes. I use one for the box to monitor the box temperature and 3 for large cuts of meat like brisket or standing rib roast.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085NSXPG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom