What We're Making

Just wanted to share a carving I finished. The reason I like to share a picture from now and then is because these carvings leave and I don't get to see them again. I hope that makes some sense.

Wow, that is nice! How long does it take you to do a carving that size?

About 35 hours. Everything is done one chip at a time. No chain saw or electric tool/devises used just done the old fashion way with chisels, gouges and hand tools. Here is a side view with a wooden rule laid across to show the depth of the carving in a split log.

Attachments

• IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
About 35 hours. Everything is done one chip at a time. No chain saw or electric tool/devises used just done the old fashion way with chisels, gouges and hand tools. Here is a side view with a wooden rule laid across to show the depth of the carving in a split log.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30672&stc=1&d=1548811706

I don’t remember seeing you post the type of finish that you put on these pieces. Is it some type of exterior grade varnish for outdoor use, or something else for indoor?

Ronstar >>> just Teak Oil. All natural color I use also like different colors of soil, bark berries coal etc. I might have mentioned that before. I did finish it today with a few details I had left to do. I have sent them all over the country and I believe most want them for inside décor.

Pennsylvania Blue Stone patio. Started digging mid-May for concrete base finished mortaring joints late September. Only about half visible in the photo. I had help pouring concrete but laid stone in a bed of mortar myself.

Attachments

• 6B6BEEEB-FCF2-45B7-B0A3-30EEA01553F5.jpg
    6B6BEEEB-FCF2-45B7-B0A3-30EEA01553F5.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 64
That is beautiful.

Thanks. My back aches whenever I look at this photo! I hand mixed forty 80 pound bags of type S mortar in a wheel barrow 1/2 bag at a time with a garden hoe. Plus, I laid the stones out ahead of time in order to be sure I didn't end up with four corners meeting. Largest stones are 80 to 90 pounds depending on thickness.
A masonry contractor quoted the job at $24k, I did it myself for $4.5k.

I guess this is called a credenza. It's for the new DIL to put behind the couch for lamps and flowers. Dunno, I just make it. Was a pain!

Attachments

• cradenza.jpg
    cradenza.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 63
Nice! An unique item.

Making concrete countertops for my kitchen remodel. Finally have a piece I’m happy with. Onto the next. IMG_1367.JPG

Friend wants me to laser a design on a couple of wineglasses for a gift, then asked me if I could make a wooden stem for the glass. Here’s the first one, not etched yet but fresh from the rotary attachment on the CNC machine. Nice thing about computer designs, they are repeatable. I’ve never had a lot of success making two items look alike on a regular lathe. The other nice thing is I was able to make the shape a hexagon. This was cut from a block of cherry wood made up from 4 boards, base is about 3” in diameter.

Last edited:
^ Beautiful. Make sure to post when you are done.

NgineER >>> I have never heard of that before but then again I don't get out much. LOL Can you explain a little more on your project?

Both of my nephews earned their Eagle Scout rank last year and my brother asked me to make them each a pocket knife. This Gentleman's Folder is the one I made my oldest nephew. Meteorite Damascus blade, Damascus bolsters, fully file-worked liners, snakewood handle and a sterling silver back spine inlay saying "Eagle Scout". I forge all my own Damascus, do my own grinding and heat treatment and this is my own knife design. Everything is hand made (no kits). My second nephew received the same knife design, but the handle was made from the rib bone of an extinct woolly rhinoceros (no picture). Fun creation.

Attachments

• carsons1.jpg
    carsons1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 69
  • carsons2.jpg
    carsons2.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 67
  • eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 67
too cool--
I am amazed at all of the talent here on the forum.

Both of my nephews earned their Eagle Scout rank last year and my brother asked me to make them each a pocket knife. This Gentleman's Folder is the one I made my oldest nephew. Meteorite Damascus blade, Damascus bolsters, fully file-worked liners, snakewood handle and a sterling silver back spine inlay saying "Eagle Scout". I forge all my own Damascus, do my own grinding and heat treatment and this is my own knife design. Everything is hand made (no kits). My second nephew received the same knife design, but the handle was made from the rib bone of an extinct woolly rhinoceros (no picture). Fun creation.

Wow- well done!

I love to hear about the forging projects, and would like to dabble with it when I FIRE.

Beautiful work SteelArt99, something those boys will cherish, and hand down to their sons when the time comes.

You could almost say that they are "Forged In FIRE".

Wow. Very nice work on the knives. Something your nephews will cherish.

Kelly had a nice 48" diameter glass table top that we kept (and tossed the wicker pedestal and the chairs) that will make a great outdoor deck table. You know just hose the bird feces right off. But it needed a good sturdy impervious base with the same virtues. So I made this out of 1.5" furniture grade PVC;

32380703577_849cc36dbb_o.jpg

Water proof, UV resistant, no paint, never rot and way stronger than needed.

Kelly had a nice 48" diameter glass table top that we kept (and tossed the wicker pedestal and the chairs) that will make a great outdoor deck table. You know just hose the bird feces right off. But it needed a good sturdy impervious base with the same virtues. So I made this out of 1.5" furniture grade PVC;

32380703577_849cc36dbb_o.jpg

Water proof, UV resistant, no paint, never rot and way stronger than needed.

Nice. Good idea and looks nice and sturdy. However, I would have thought in the spirit of blowing the dough, you would have had a piece of marble or granite brought in. :D :LOL:

Hehe, yeah. But at least I didn't use plumbing pipe eh - :)

Very nice, davemartin88! How did you get the old glass stem off - cut it? And then epoxy the new wood one on?

Diamond wheel on a Dremel tool to cut the stem off a glass. Work the wheel around the stem and it breaks cleanly. I drilled down about an inch on the wood stem to have more glass for the epoxy to hold. Standard two part epoxy and they seem to be pretty solid.

Wow, amazing, I'd love to see a video of that process, can't imagine how you did it all yourself.

Back
Top Bottom