Why are people still holding cash?

uncledrz said:
Read the HELOC documents and in many (I haven't seen all) there is an out for the bank.  So in a dire emergency (yours or theirs) the funds might not be available, or at least might not be readily available.  So some cash directly under your control is, IMHO, beneficial.

I carry no particular "reserve" or emergency fund. I agree HELOCs are
an excellent choice. I would have one now except for two (2) things.
Our primary residence is in a flood plain and I would be required to carry flood insurance, which I never have had, and both residences are
titled in corporate name which normally does not allow me to qualify for a HELOC. For most folks who want an easy way to tap that equity, it's a no-brainer.

JG

Spanky said:
Does that mean that it is time to get rid of REIT fund holding?

Spanky

Depends on the holdings. See if they are doing well individually, e.g. a REIT fund thats heavy with office space might be worse off than one with single family homes and retail space. If the top 10% are declining it might be time to sell.

I may pare off some of my reit holdings, although they're in my IRA and I wont be after that money for 20+ years yet, so maybe I'll let 'em ride.

What I've been doing though is having the dividends and gains sent off to buy small cap value index rather than reinvested though, so i'm sort of 'soft reducing' the holding.

As an old Geography major from 40 years ago, I learned nobody should build on a flood plain. :mad:

Duh

Most of Louisiana is a flood plain - and then, and then hurricanes push water the other way.

Atop 12' plings is a modest concession - viewing Ivan from Dallas last year was just ducky.

A fish camp is a throw away item - like a coffee cup - you can keep reusing it for a while - until you can't.

Zipper said:
As an old Geography major from 40 years ago, I learned nobody should build on a flood plain. :mad:

I have owned property in this particular flood plain continuously since 1974.
The biggest problems I ever had were the mud which is left behind when
the water recedes, and where to put the dogs when they are swimming in their runs :) Otherwise, some simple precautions are all you need.
New construction has to be built up on pilings.

JG

Zipper said:

I too own coastal property. We that do spell relief F E M A
Great (cheap) insurance.

BUM :D

BUM said:
I too own coastal property. We that do spell relief F E M A
Great (cheap) insurance.

BUM :D

I'm also in the flood plain. There was about a foot of water on the property during the 93 flood. I built 7' above that so I should be OK. St. Louis would be under water before me. I pay less than $300 per year for flood insurance to cover $250K.

dm said:
I'm also in the flood plain.  There was about a foot of water on the property during the 93 flood.  I built 7' above that so I should be OK.  St. Louis would be under water before me.  I pay less than $300 per year for flood insurance to cover $250K.   

Wow, you have a deal. I bought a $100k 1200sq ranch on three acres in 1993. There is a trout stream in the backyard. In 1996 or so, we had a 100 year flood, but my house didn't get flooded. It's a daylight ranch so even if it did flood it would only flood the cement unfinished basement. It costs me $600 a year for the flood insurance and that doesn't cover any contents.

I've been thinking I'd drop the flood insurance once I pay the mortgage off next year.

I'm a big fan of insurance but in this case it doesn't seem reasonable.

-helen

I used to get a kick out of looking at property in certain areas of the CA central valley, much of which is a flood plain. Some realtors were pretty creative: "Seasonal Stream" or "Seasonal pond" on the properties were highly touted. I translated that to "barely controlled flooding".

Wifes old house was in a special flood hazard zone. We had three big floods in the time she lived there. Water came nowhere near the place. Glad we sold it as the army corps of engineers did a few million dollars worth of work to the levies nearby last year and then after finishing discovered that the levy foundations were shot and were offering nearly no flood protection at all.

New house is 35' above the 500 year flood line. You dont have to drive far to find homes with 3' deep ditches all around them. Lots and lots of rivers around here fed by Sierra snows. Lots of snow this year. Might be posting to you from an island sometime in the near future ;)

th said:
Might be posting to you from an island sometime in the near future ;)

Waterfront property. $$$$$ ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom