Why get a stationary computer?

I don’t see a lot of arguing, mostly people explaining their respective preferences? The OP asked.

Good question. I have a Dell desktop in the spare bedroom- DH used it but he died in 2016! I never use it and DS does sometimes when he and the family visit but he also brings his work computer. I think he uses the desktop to check pro sports stuff! It's always on- I suppose I could at least turn it off.

It may be time to talk to DS about whether he'd miss it on their visits. Best Buy accepts them for recycling.

I’m on my computer a lot between my eBay business and various personal stuff. I would not want to put in all those hours on a laptop. The desktop has a much better keyboard, a much larger monitor, and much better ergonomics since the keyboard and monitor aren’t attached. The viewing angle is much better. My desktop computer is also wired to my laser printer and my thermal label printer. I realize both of those could be wireless but that would mean replacing my current equipment.

I’d say the comfort and big screen are the main issues. And I have no need to work anywhere else in the house so there’s no need for the computer to be portable.

I have a laptop computer which I use for everything.

And two portable drives I use for a rotating backup scheme.

I see people here and elsewhere buying stationary desktop computers like iMacs or similar Microsoft variants.

What do you use those for that you cannot do on a laptop computer?

Just curious here - wondering if I am missing something :cool:

You've asked two questions.

1. Why get a stationary computer? I have been using personal computers since 1982. For much of that time notebook computers lagged desktop ones. I have always had one desktop computer, supplemented by a growing list of technology devices, such as portable computers, notebook computers, tablets, and phones. So I do not force-fit desired functions into a single device. I have had a home/business network since the 90's. Until recently there was a performance hit for WIFi. Now that internet speeds and home networks are much more robust, you do see many younger people with notebook computers only. We have only a couple older notebooks, and they are no longer in use. I use my desktop system throughout the day, and have an office in my home. There is a pleasant view out my large office window, and I prefer thinking and computing from this desk chair.

2. What do you use those for that you cannot do on a laptop computer? You have to know what you don't know. Everything you do on a "laptop" can be done on a desktop. The reverse is somewhat true, but the main difference is dedicated peripherals for input, IMO. For example, on the couch, where do you sit a graphics tablet. Where do you place paper documents that relate to the task at hand? Ok, I have two monitors, let's say, and work (or play) is on one, while PDFs are open on the other.

If your needs are simpler than mine, then a "laptop" works.

The bigger monitor/better keyboard thing is not an issue for a laptop. It takes me less than a minute to move my laptop from the couch to the office and plug in an HDMI and USB to connect the monitor and keyboard that are always in place in the office, and I'm ready to roll.

I think it's all a matter of personal preference.

Also, at one time a computer (desktop or laptop) is considered a one major purchase thing (kind of like the old days when there was on television set for the entire family).

For me, I use a desktop at home and a laptop when traveling.

I actually own more than one of each, but who's counting? :)

The bigger monitor/better keyboard thing is not an issue for a laptop. It takes me less than a minute to move my laptop from the couch to the office and plug in an HDMI and USB to connect the monitor and keyboard that are always in place in the office, and I'm ready to roll.
And then, you have re-purposed your laptop as a desktop.

So, on the couch I have a newer Android phone and Chrome tablet. Those have gotten so much more capable.

But during the day, like in the morning, it is far more convenient to sit in my office than to look for a notebook computer, unplug that (yes, the battery does not run forever), walk 10 steps to office, and log in or use a dock.

To each his own.

While I have a handful of each, my primary daily drivers are limited to one laptop and one desktop.

My laptop is used most often early in the AM while drinking coffee and contemplating my day. I also use it for travel but lately only for our 5 week bonaire trip so I can log dives, edit video and photography and watch youtube at night while imbibing in adult beverages. I keep my laptop pretty well locked down for security by requiring strong passwords or my Yubikey to access any financial applications as laptops can be easily stolen. I do not allow any program or website to ""remember" my laptop. This lockdown makes it kind of a pain to use everyday at home for these same uses but it's worth the effort to me.

My desktop is used for most of my work with multiple displays and open access to my entire home network which is pretty extensive with multiple servers (security cameras, Windows Media Center, Plex, Home Assistant, multiple NAS servers, Heimdahl and Pi-Hole among a few others. Hey, it's a hobby. My desktop will do my video work many times faster than my laptop even with a processor many generations older.

Good question. I have a Dell desktop in the spare bedroom- DH used it but he died in 2016! I never use it and DS does sometimes when he and the family visit but he also brings his work computer. I think he uses the desktop to check pro sports stuff! It's always on- I suppose I could at least turn it off.

It may be time to talk to DS about whether he'd miss it on their visits. Best Buy accepts them for recycling.

Yes turn it off. Save the electricity.

When getting rid of it, be sure to remove and destroy the HD, or better yet save the HD in case you want something off it later.

I have a laptop computer which I use for everything.

And two portable drives I use for a rotating backup scheme.

I see people here and elsewhere buying stationary desktop computers like iMacs or similar Microsoft variants.

What do you use those for that you cannot do on a laptop computer?

Just curious here - wondering if I am missing something :cool:

I have a 2 year old laptop and now an almost 7 year old iMac.

You get more processing power and storage for the dollar. Not a big deal for general tasks like browsing.

But for photo and video editing, the power and storage are useful.

If Apple put out an iMac with Apple Silicon chips and at least a 27-inch screen, I’d have upgraded already.

I still may this year, Mac Studio and a large display.

I use my Pixel 7 smartphone for 90%+ of all the Internet work I do, like this post.
I do have a PC at home that I'll use with FreeTaxUSA when I get home in a few days...

It always amazes me that people can post on forums, bank, invest, shop for major purchases on tiny cell screens. Maybe I have fat thumbs, but it's way too easy for me to accidentally touch the wrong thing, mis-key or make a mistake. It also feels so uncomfortable trying to read content or check something on a small screen - I get a headache, even with eyeglasses.

Guess I'm just super old school:LOL:
I definitely need a laptop or desktop sized screen.

My eyesight isn't getting any better. I need a big screen so I can set the font big and then I can see with less eye strain. A big screen is also great for watching movies and videos. Also nothing beats the power of a desktop gaming machine even if you don't play games. With lots of memory everything is really fast especially stuff on the web. Another thing is the keyboard. I need a full size keyboard mostly because I'm just use to using one.

I could do everything on a laptop but it would be far less comfortable and take far longer.

Yes. Desktop preferred here too. Laptop second. I can't even imagine how exponentially higher that discomfort and time would be if I was forced to use my cell for everything. I'd be wanting to throw the thing through a window within 10 minutes. :LOL:

No laptop (MS style), but use a Chromebook. I'm retired and it does everything I need except running my tax program. I have an older desktop for that purpose.

No desktop for over 10 years, just a MacBook Air for me since I move around a lot. Actually have two Airs now since my 2012 model still works fine (although it is noticeably slower than the M1 chip model purchased recently).

We have both a laotop and a desktop. The laptop, a clone of our desktop, traveled with us in our motor home but it is no longer actively used (other than as a clone of the main HD in our desktop) as our RV is for sale. I prefer a desktop. Our tower has two optical drives and four internal hard drives, one for current use and the other three for storing photos, etc.

I have a Mac desktop. I use a lot of spreadsheets and often have multiple browser windows and spreadsheets open at the same time.

With a laptop I'd be looking downward onto a smaller screen. I like the size and angle of the large desktop screen. I like the position of my desk chair with arm rests and space for mouse movement.

So a laptop, even on a desk, never attracted me. I also have an iPad mini that goes everywhere with me at home. But it's not what I use for spreadsheets.

I prefer a desktop, so that's what I have. You may prefer a laptop, so that's what you should have.

I'm with Gumby on this. I could do anything I want on a laptop, but I like a desktop. I like the big screen and full size keyboard and mouse. I realize I could have a laptop and a docking set up and have the same thing, but I have no need to be portable. If I'm in my easy chair, I read and surf using my tablet (iPad). I'm not positive, but I think a desktop is less expensive than a laptop with an external monitor and and keyboard set up so if you don't need/want to be portable, just go with a desktop.

I have a Mac desktop. I use a lot of spreadsheets and often have multiple browser windows and spreadsheets open at the same time.

With a laptop I'd be looking downward onto a smaller screen. I like the size and angle of the large desktop screen. I like the position of my desk chair with arm rests and space for mouse movement.

So a laptop, even on a desk, never attracted me. I also have an iPad mini that goes everywhere with me at home. But it's not what I use for spreadsheets.

Good point. That's me also. I'll have Quicken, Word, Excel, Outlook all open at the same time. I could run a laptop on a full size monitor and achieve the same but then my my storage ability would be less. But there are other options for that as well. I guess when you boil it down...I've always had a desktop at home, I'm comfortable with it and see no need to change. The laptop that used to travel with us is now in the hamshack.

I have a Windows 10 Pro desktop, a Linux Mint desktop (mostly in anticipation of moving away from Windows by October 2025), a Linux Mint laptop, and an iPad Pro tablet. All have their uses, but in the past couple of years, the laptop has been my least used device.

Thank you all for lots of great ideas.

I especially like the thought of a larger screen.

I do not do much gamimg or video processing so perhaps a larger monitor for my laptop would be a nice way to start.

Thank you all for lots of great ideas.

I especially like the thought of a larger screen.

I do not do much gamimg or video processing so perhaps a larger monitor for my laptop would be a nice way to start.

As long as I can afford it, there’s no way I wouldn’t have a large monitor. So, if I had a laptop, I’d definitely have a larger screen - probably a 27 inch monitor. Be careful buying a monitor. If your laptop doesn’t put out 4K, then there’s no benefit of buying a 4K monitor except in anticipation of a future machine.

I use a tower computer daily, I sit at my computer desk in my comfy chair.
I have had and do have a laptop. I use the laptop if I travel, and the latest I got to use for a Software Defined Radio. Which is still on the wish list.

I've never been a laptop guy mostly because I hardly ever traveled. I own one about 8 yrs old and have only used it for anything once when I was visiting somebody.

Can you really get a laptop with all the power and capabilities and USB ports as a decked out desktop? Or are you going to have to give a little here and there just to keep your hardware footprint small? And at hone, how important is that?
I'm still working and have a mega corp laptop that I use with a docking station both in theoffice and at home. 2 24" tv's, full size keyboard and wired mouse and direct interweb connection. 1 plug and I'm in. the home set up only has 1 monitor.

when it comes time to upgrade the home computer I'd probably go laptop. there isn't much I need to scroll the internet, online banking, and quickbooks or quicken.

Back
Top Bottom