Why get a stationary computer?

Thank you all for lots of great ideas.

I especially like the thought of a larger screen.

I do not do much gamimg or video processing so perhaps a larger monitor for my laptop would be a nice way to start.

My laptop in the hamshack is connected to a desktop monitor, external optical drive and an external backup hard drive. The laptop sits under a raised monitor platform. I pulled the laptop out a bit to illustrate this.

m3zZPvb.png
Click For Full-Size Image.

I also dedicated an old desktop to a single function and that is "live" weather radar (live means about a 5-7 minute delay.). I use a TV mounted in a frame above the desk. The old desktop connects to a second HDMI port on the TV. I select input...TV or RADAR...using the remote. When this old desktop gives up the ghost I'll likely replace it with a laptop.

m3zZPvb.png

m3zZPvb.png

I'm still working and have a mega corp laptop that I use with a docking station both in theoffice and at home. 2 24" tv's, full size keyboard and wired mouse and direct interweb connection. 1 plug and I'm in. the home set up only has 1 monitor.

when it comes time to upgrade the home computer I'd probably go laptop. there isn't much I need to scroll the internet, online banking, and quickbooks or quicken.

Someone earlier mentioned "dock" or docking station". First time I've heard the term. I did a brief web search. Looks like something I could go for. Basically using the laptop as "the mainframe" and the dock is where you plug in everything else ... maybe except the mouse. I like using a normal keyboard. The keyboard is on my typing table or my lap and I like having a slew of USB ports. I assume the dock station affords that?

Also, how the hell do people play CD's and DVD's nowadays? Is that something I can plug into a computer or docking station? I know what you're thinking. My current rig is almost 10 yrs old.

The one hold up here is ---- Buying a powerful laptop PLUS all that other stuff would cost more than just buying a powerful desktop. Haven't checked prices but that's what I'm expecting to find.

Six of one -- half a dozen of another.

Someone earlier mentioned "dock" or docking station". First time I've heard the term. I did a brief web search. Looks like something I could go for. Basically using the laptop as "the mainframe" and the dock is where you plug in everything else ... maybe except the mouse. I like using a normal keyboard. The keyboard is on my typing table or my lap and I like having a slew of USB ports. I assume the dock station affords that?

Also, how the hell do people play CD's and DVD's nowadays? Is that something I can plug into a computer or docking station? I know what you're thinking. My current rig is almost 10 yrs old.

The one hold up here is ---- Buying a powerful laptop PLUS all that other stuff would cost more than just buying a powerful desktop. Haven't checked prices but that's what I'm expecting to find.

Six of one -- half a dozen of another.
A docking station makes it easier to remove the laptop for use elsewhere as you don't need to detach the monitor, speakers, external drives, etc. OTOH, if you won't be using the laptop elsewhere then just attach the external components to the laptop. That's what I did with my laptop.

As for CDs and DVD's an inexpensive external optical drive will do this. Most connect via USB port.

Someone earlier mentioned "dock" or docking station". First time I've heard the term. I did a brief web search. Looks like something I could go for. Basically using the laptop as "the mainframe" and the dock is where you plug in everything else ... maybe except the mouse. I like using a normal keyboard. The keyboard is on my typing table or my lap and I like having a slew of USB ports. I assume the dock station affords that? ...
Yes, you got it. In my city home office I have a USB extender with, IIRC, eight or ten ports. Everything plugged there: kb, mouse, a couple of scanners, a Wacom tablet, etc. You could plug a multi-tb usb backup drive there too if you wanted to. My approach is a couple of Synology NAS boxes on the home network.

Well, either way you'll still have to buy "all that other stuff." I probably have $50 (btd :LOL:) in my mouse and KB. Sky's the limit on a monitor of course, but your docked laptop or tablet can be configured as a second monitor. But you're right, equivalent box computers themselves will probably be cheaper than a laptop or tablet, but as many of us have said, we don't need our laptops or tablets to do the really heavy lifting like video and extensive photo processing jobs that some folks have.

I do not do much gaming or video processing so perhaps a larger monitor for my laptop would be a nice way to start.

Yes, I use a laptop, with an external monitor. I like having two screens (extended - extra space, not 'mirrored', which is the same stuff on both screens). For my way of working, much better than one large monitor, I organize some stuff on the smaller laptop screen, and the stuff I'm more actively working on on the larger monitor.

I also use a full sized keyboard and mouse, so it's really like a desktop with two monitors.

But to each their own, there are valid reasons and just some preferences for each. But a laptop is not limited to just what is in the box, you can add all these things to it. But if you want to upgrade graphics cards and such, desktop is the way to go.

So why do I use a laptop as a desktop? Though I rarely use it as a portable, it does come in handy from time to time - I like having the option. And it essentially has a built in UPS (no worries of power outages when doing backups or other critical tasks).

I also like that when I upgrade, the old laptop can more easily be repurposed for some other task. I can use it in its basic configuration with just a power cable - nice and neat for some small task.

-ERD50

Didn't see much discussion of reliability/longevity. That's the main reason I've chosen to go with a desktop over a laptop. Most laptop batteries don't last beyond about 3 years and the "ruggedness" of laptops and their components is highly variable. Not uncommon to get 7-10 years out of a good desktop unit, especially when the use case is primarily web browsing, basic office functions (spreadsheets, word processing), and e-mail. Having worked in corporate IT for more than 25 years, not many laptops lasted beyond 3-5 years at most. That's why our company used a leasing program for computers, rolling them over every 3 years.

For my mobile computing needs, an iPad/iPhone combo is more than sufficient.

Didn't see much discussion of reliability/longevity. That's the main reason I've chosen to go with a desktop over a laptop. Most laptop batteries don't last beyond about 3 years...

Good point about the batteries. I keep mine plugged into AC power 24/7 since we stopped traveling which isn't good for them either.

Didn't see much discussion of reliability/longevity. That's the main reason I've chosen to go with a desktop over a laptop. Most laptop batteries don't last beyond about 3 years and the "ruggedness" of laptops and their components is highly variable. Not uncommon to get 7-10 years out of a good desktop unit, especially when the use case is primarily web browsing, basic office functions (spreadsheets, word processing), and e-mail. Having worked in corporate IT for more than 25 years, not many laptops lasted beyond 3-5 years at most. That's why our company used a leasing program for computers, rolling them over every 3 years.

For my mobile computing needs, an iPad/iPhone combo is more than sufficient.
You must have been hard on them. We rotated laptops out every 5 years, which is where I picked up a couple of mine for $25 each, and the batteries were fine, now over 7 years old. Two of my laptops that I bought new are 11 to 14 years old, and the batteries still work, albeit they don't power the laptop for as long as they used to.

My custom built (by me) desktop is 12+ years old on the original motherboard, overclocked processor, and RAM, although I have added RAM and upgraded to SSD and better graphics. Running Windows 10 and fast. My even older Windows XP workstation will actually still work if I hook it up. Of course, my desktop gets many times more use than the laptops.

No concerns of lithium ion batteries going up in flames with desktop.

I do not do much gamimg or video processing so perhaps a larger monitor for my laptop would be a nice way to start.

Yes, that helps. I have KVM switches in my home computing center that my laptop can plug into, on one switch I have 32" monitor.

I have a 27" iMac + another monitor for email and text messages in an office/workshop at the condo. At the cabin I just have my Macbook laptop. The laptop is very convenient when I'm working on something and need to research on site.
BTW are you Windows guys still shutting down your computers every night? That's one thing I hated about Windows but I haven't had a Windows laptop since W10.
My macs seldom get shut down.

I have a 27" iMac + another monitor for email and text messages in an office/workshop at the condo. At the cabin I just have my Macbook laptop. The laptop is very convenient when I'm working on something and need to research on site.
BTW are you Windows guys still shutting down your computers every night? That's one thing I hated about Windows but I haven't had a Windows laptop since W10.
I'm not aware of this shutting-down-your-Windows-every-night rumor. Though I do keep my windows closed almost every night.

My 14 year old desktop is still going fine. Not certain what I will do if it dies. I have replaced the system disk and migrated to W10.

About the only time that I shut is down is when we travel for 2 months. Never gets shut down at night. Not certain that there is a need to.

Also use an ipad for travel. Love it.

I have a laptop computer which I use for everything.

I see people here and elsewhere buying stationary desktop computers like iMacs or similar Microsoft variants.

What do you use those for that you cannot do on a laptop computer?

Just curious here - wondering if I am missing something :cool:

I prefer a desktop computer over a laptop because:

1. If I were going to use a computer while sitting at a DESK, why would I want to have a laptop when I can have a large dedicated monitor, a real keyboard, and a real sized mouse? I can tuck the actual computer case underneath the desk out of sight and not have a bunch of wires exposed on my desk.

2. Does anybody actually use a laptop with it situated on your lap? I know people do this, but how efficient is it, really? The keyboards are frustrating, the mouse pad is a joke. Sure you can get accustomed to using it, but knowing the same thing can be done in half the time on a desktop computer just makes me never want to go with the portability of a laptop.

3. Because I sell on Amazon and ship everyday to other customers I have four printers connected to my desktop computer. Try doing that with a laptop and a docking station and keeping your work area neat. Only one of my printers is connected wirelessly.

4. The technique of a laptop with docking station is not worth the hassles for me. (My wife has this setup with multiple monitors.) I turn on my computer and monitor in the morning and I turn them off at night. I'm not plugging in the battery charger, I'm not messing with wires going to a docking station, I'm not cracking open the laptop to take a peek at the laptop screen when my docked monitor is not showing what I think it should be showing. I'm not messing with power management settings, pulling the laptop or the docking station out of its hidey-hole to plug in USB sticks or USB drives, etc. etc. Honestly, the amount of IT support I give to my wife's docking station "solution" is incredible.

5. I have a computer desk. The working surface is about 1 1/2" lower than the standard desk height. As such, it's much more comfortable to sit at and type at than a standard desk.

6. Having a laptop means you can w*rk almost anywhere. Having a desktop means your work is in this particular room and nowhere else.

7. I have a tablet for portability when surfing the internet, texting, social media, etc.

Last edited:

My Win10 desktop runs 24/7/365 with a re-boot or re-start every now and then ususally after new software install. Your comment makes it sound as if powering off the PC at night was normal and/or recommended. I also haven't seen a BSOD in years.

Mainly it was photoshop that caused me to reboot frequently. But that was quite a few years ago. Glad to know that Windows is more stable now.

I had already commented on that earlier. I leave my Windows 10 desktop up all the time, 24 hr per day. But I do reboots at least monthly for Windows security updates. My Windows DVR computer is up 24/7 also with about once a month reboots. I haven't shut my desktop systems down overnight in maybe 10 or 15 years. And at work, I never shut down my Windows computer at night as a routine in over 22 years working there. I always had a bunch of things up and running and didn't want to take the time to restart and bring everything back up each morning. Of course, I had to reboot for monthly updates.

I had some stability issues back when I ran Windows 95. Some of that was video driver & directX related and also with a known Abit motherboard reboot issue, which stopped when I bought a new video card. That was like 25 years ago. Some time back, I had some bad memory that caused some stability issues. I can't blame Windows for those hardware issues.

Last edited:
Mainly it was photoshop that caused me to reboot frequently. But that was quite a few years ago. Glad to know that Windows is more stable now.

XP was very stable..best OS ever made by Windows. Win7 was also good. I skipped over that mess called Win8 and was reluctant to go to Win10 but I needed a new PC. Ordered a custom PC that came with Win10 and so far it's been very good. Gonna hang on to 10 as long as I can.

I had already commented on that earlier. I leave my Windows 10 desktop up all the time, 24 hr per day.

And at work, I never shut down my Windows computer at night as a routine in over 22 years

Why??!

I've been turning off my computers every day for about 15 years now with no problems. I build my own hardware but I use Windows OS.

Why??!

I've been turning off my computers every day for about 15 years now with no problems. I build my own hardware but I use Windows OS.

I just put them to sleep (suspend) at night. I might power cycle them after a few weeks, and/or if an update (new kernel) requires a reboot. I'm on Linux (Xubuntu), BTW.

-ERD50

Why??!

I elaborated some in my last post. I'm not doing it because I had problems when I shut down, which I used to do long ago. I leave it up for efficiency.

I build my own computers also, for about 30 years. The monitor goes into power saving mode.

I leave my Windows tower systems running all the time. I build and upgraded them, and leaving them on is a good way to detect any early hardware issues. In my experience, PC hardware tends to fail early in usage, or last a long time. Never had any problems running the systems 24x7.

My laptops will go into sleep mode, as they are used as clients and not as servers.

I elaborated some in my last post. I'm not doing it because I had problems when I shut down, which I used to do long ago. I leave it up for efficiency.

What type of efficiency? What are you gaining?

You are putting wear and tear on the cooling fans, unnecessary hours on the power supply, just generally putting needless wear on electronic components.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom