Wolf Dogs

I agree about the wolf-dog hybrids. I went to (of all things) a baby shower at a woman's house who had 3 of them. As a "dog person" I went to check them out in the garage where she had them crated for the duration of our visit and it was spooky to say the least. She let one out on on a leash for us to see and approach.

I managed to summon enough tact NOT to ask what the heck she thought she was doing to keep these animals as pets. Geesh--and she had to have a wildlife permit to have them, but she was in a regular neighborhood with lots of kids--a nightmare waiting to happen.

Aggressive dogs need to be euthanized. Very seldom is it possible to rehome one to a place with no chance of there being the trigger for aggression, be it other dogs, small animals, or strangers. Better to have a good end than a tragic one.

I just counseled a friend in Florida who had to put down a pit bull mix after 9 months of work with professional trainers. Very sad for everyone but still the best option.

Al, I'd be very wary of those dogs in multiples like that--one would probably not attack, but your chances go way up when a pack mentality takes over.

Years ago we had a Newfee, "Bear", that was reputed to have Cascade Wolf blood two generations back. The temperament of a Newfoundland and the smarts of a wolf. A nice, easy going kid wise dog who strangers didn't consider messing with. The family cat had him buffaloed, except when he rescued a squirrel she caught and brought home for care. Food wise... he had a passion for peanut butter, once caught his snout in the jar.

I just spoke with the owner, and according to her, they are not first generation wolf dogs. They are mostly Malamute.

Malmute:

alaskanmalamute.jpg

She was apologetic, and said that she's reinforced the kennel, and doesn't expect them to get out again.

I just spoke with the owner, and according to her, they are not first generation wolf dogs. They are mostly Malamute.

She was apologetic, and said that she's reinforced the kennel, and doesn't expect them to get out again.

Good news on both the breed and the owner seeming to be cooperative and responsible. Always better to have one less concern than one more! ;)

Cuppa, Newfs also come in brown, grey and black-and-white. (I've wanted one for so long, can't even tell you. I don't care that they're too big for my minivan, drool buckets daily and shed so much that some owners spin their shed fur and make sweaters...)

T-Al, I'm glad they're not first-generation hybrids, but anything wolf-y would make me twitchy, especially since they've gotten out a lot and their owner (though apologetic) hasn't yet proven that she can keep them on her property.

But raccoons make me twitchy, too, so YMMV. ;)

Back
Top Bottom