World Cup Football/Soccer 2018

I'm not at all surprised about Argentina. They were absolutely horrible throughout the final qualification stage in CONMEBOL. If not for Messi heroics in their final qualifier, they'd be at home watching like the rest of us.

Croatia is red-hot right now.

Still liking my dark-horse Belgium pick.

Belgium is on the easy side... if Spain gets knocked out then I agree they will probably be in the finals.... that then gives them a chance...

Thursday's England vs Belgium match should be a telling one for both sides.

Or not....I'm sure that both of these squads will not waste their energy in looking at possible paths through the knockout stages.

I like to see Belgium win the cup as it will be good for the sport to have a new team other than Germany, Brazil, Spain win the Cup. Portugal has never won it but I don't think their team is strong enough.

Thursday's England vs Belgium match should be a telling one for both sides.

Or not....I'm sure that both of these squads will not waste their energy in looking at possible paths through the knockout stages.

Yea, kinda forgot they had not played.... the winner will go to the hard side of the draw and the loser to the easy side...

Wonder if someone will be willing to throw a game to get a better draw? I think the loser of this game will make it to the semi-final easily... the winner will have to face either Germany or Brazil if they win their first matchup, which they should against Columbia....

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-world-cup-predictions/bracket/?ex_cid=endlink

I wouldn’t have bet on today’s outcome in a thousand years. Mexico saved by South Korea. The mighty German squad out in the first round. It’s a new world ..

I wouldn’t have bet on today’s outcome in a thousand years. Mexico saved by South Korea. The mighty German squad out in the first round. It’s a new world ..

I watched the game live in a bar with my German business partner and some German fans.... gonna be a lot of Samsung and LG products thrown away today....

:LOL:

Germany played absolutely poorly. The Koreans had great defense and a great keeper. Poor forwards though. If they had of played that hard the whole tournament they would have won their group.

A stunner.

There's a flight from Moscow to Berlin at 6:50am tomorrow morning.

I expect that few, if any professional players at all, reached the highest level of the game by elbowing or head butting opponents in the face. And for those players who would routinely bring the game into disrepute by committing acts of violent conduct and/or engaging in simulation of fouls and injury as a means of "gaining an advantage", then they need to be run out of sport.

Ronaldo surely.

Also Suarez has been caught biting players at least three times.

Yea, kinda forgot they had not played.... the winner will go to the hard side of the draw and the loser to the easy side...

Wonder if someone will be willing to throw a game to get a better draw? I think the loser of this game will make it to the semi-final easily... the winner will have to face either Germany or Brazil if they win their first matchup, which they should against Columbia....

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-world-cup-predictions/bracket/?ex_cid=endlink

Neither side will throw the game. They'll both try to win, but it's likely that they'll rest the majority of their players to avoid injuries and reds/yellows. I can see maybe Kane and Lukaku playing as their both chasing the Golden Boot but if I were the manager of either side I would rest them.

Not only Germany was knocked out but they finished last in their group. Who would have predicted this:(

The coach will be fired or "sacked" as they would say......

Not only Germany was knocked out but they finished last in their group. Who would have predicted this:(

I didn't. At least I predicted correctly that Sweden would advance.

Group A - Russia, Uruguay
Group B - Portugal, Spain
Group C - France, Denmark
Group D - Argentina, Iceland
Group E - Brazil, Serbia
Group F - Germany, Sweden
Group G - England, Belgium
Group H - Colombia, Poland

For their next vehicle, every Mexico futbol fan must purchase a Hyundai.

The coach will be fired or "sacked" as they would say......

Löw deserves to be sacked. His decision to leave Leroy Sané off the roster in favor of Brandt - who played all of 12 minutes - did not bode well for a German side that had nothing going in the way of an attack. They managed only 2 goals, one of those on a Reus free-kick and in general, looked very pedestrian for all but 20 minutes in this World Cup.

There's plenty of blame to go around for others on the roster who seemed to play on reputation alone - Muller, Özil, Boateng & even goalkeeper Neuer to name but a few.

Löw deserves to be sacked. His decision to leave Leroy Sané off the roster in favor of Brandt - who played all of 12 minutes - did not bode well for a German side that had nothing going in the way of an attack. They managed only 2 goals, one of those on a Reus free-kick and in general, looked very pedestrian for all but 20 minutes in this World Cup.

There's plenty of blame to go around for others on the roster who seemed to play on reputation alone - Muller, Özil, Boateng & even goalkeeper Neuer to name but a few.

I think you meant Kroos.

I agree it's time for new coach and new blood for Germany. Boating, Ozil and Muller are getting old and it's time for some young players like Sane to inject some energy in this team. As for Neuer he thinks he's still the best goalie in the world but his time has ended in my opinion.

Last edited:
As an aside, this has been a most interesting thread, with lots still to go. I especially appreciate the perspective of a referee.

I think you meant Kroos.

I agree it's time for new coach and new blood for Germany. Boating, Ozil and Muller are getting old and it's time for some young players like Sane to inject some energy in this team. As for Neuer he thinks he's still the best goalie in the world but his time has ended in my opinion.

Actually, I thought Kroos played pretty well. There was that wonderful free kick against Sweden and that assist today right through the defender's legs. Magical!

Neuer could always get a job as a striker. I'm sure Stoke City would take him.

As an aside, this has been a most interesting thread, with lots still to go. I especially appreciate the perspective of a referee.

+1

DW & I are living in Costa Rica this year in a relatively remote locale so there hasn't been the opportunity for me to share this particular World Cup with friends and family. All of you have helped make the WC more enjoyable for me personally in that regard.

It's been great having other ER.org members who share a passion for the game. Still have a bit more group play and the knockout rounds should be exciting!

+1

Although I think that Neuer fancies himself more as a hybrid sweeper. Regardless, Stoke can use all the help they can get!

Actually, I thought Kroos played pretty well. There was that wonderful free kick against Sweden and that assist today right through the defender's legs. Magical!

Yes he did. I've been a fan of Tony Kroos since he joined Real Madrid. His play is definitely not the reason for Germany's failure.

Last edited:
Praise for US Referee Mark Geiger

There has been some criticism of referee performance in the group stage during this World Cup. Much of it deserved.

OTH, Mark Geiger and crew (A.R.'s Joe Fletcher CAN, Frank Anderson USA) that worked the Germany/S. Korea match today are deserving of praise.

Geiger was smart to issue a caution in the 8th minute for a reckless tackle. Too often we've seen in this World Cup referees make the mistake of issuing a warning.

Geiger's issue of another caution in the 22nd minute for persistent infringement sent a clear message that the Korean side would not be allowed to hack their way through the match. Serbian referee Milo Mazic clearly neglected cautioning Korean players for PI in the Mexico/Korea match. I would imagine Geiger watched film of that contest and took note.

Geiger was the first referee in the tournament to issue a caution to a player for simulation (Son - 65th minute). :clap:

Geiger's performance thus far in the tournament should earn him another assignment in the round of 16. Should Geiger follow up with another solid outing, he could very well end up with a semi-final.

Well done guys!

Well, I guess we'll see you on game day then. And may the better German, French, and Italian speaking team win! :)

-BB

We watched yesterday's Switzerland/Costa Rica match with a bunch of Ticos at a local cantina here in the Costa Ballena area. It was an entertaining, hard fought contest. I'm glad that Costa Rica was able to at least salvage a point for themselves in this World Cup. Had yesterday's Costa Rica team showed up in their opening match vs. Serbia, the Ticos may have given themselves an opportunity to advance.

Sweden up next for the Swiss. Best of luck going forward!

Back
Top Bottom