Young People and COVID-19 Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Young people really didn’t think the virus affected them. Unfortunately due to early messaging about very low risks to young people, the message that they could still infect others got lost. There was so much focus on warning vulnerable populations. Other factors as well, of course, such as shutdown fatigue and having to work.

Bexar County young adults are contracting COVID-19 at higher rates. Here’s why. https://www.expressnews.com/news/lo...nty-young-adults-are-contracting-15402127.php
Christine Leyva considers herself reasonably healthy. At 35, she gets sick once or twice a year — if that.

In late May, one week after Abbott announced that bars could reopen, she didn’t think much about going out with her friend, Cathy, to visit several bars on the St. Mary’s strip.

“Early on, everyone was saying that the coronavirus was only affecting older people and those with underlying health conditions,” said Leyva, a local real estate agent. “I didn’t think I could get sick or pass it along to others.”

Within three days, Cathy fell ill and tested positive for COVID-19. Leyva, who felt fine for the most part, decided to self-isolate.

But by that point, it was too late — Leyva had already spent time with her parents, who are in their 60s, and her sister, who has an 8-month-old baby.

Within a month, Leyva tested positive for COVID-19. So did her father and sister.

This article also addresses a problem common to all age groups:
One major factor was Abbott’s decision to reopen restaurants, businesses and bars. It was widely perceived as permission to resume normal activities...
I've seen this in NC. People are treating it like a light switch. "Everything is OK. Back to normal."

I may disagree with my governor on many things, but I think he has done a good job to NOT give that impression, even calling the whole reopening "Safer at home." Doesn't matter. Too many people are just "back to normal."

Meanwhile, our curve is starting to steepen. I suspect we'll be in the national news more prominently soon.

I think a more compelling message for young people is "do you want to continue to have the freedom to go out and have fun with your friends? Well, then, you need to do the simple things that make it possible. Like wear a mask inside and spread out a little. If you don't, they'll shut everything down again. Then you won't be able to do anything."

One major factor was Abbott’s decision to reopen restaurants, businesses and bars. It was widely perceived as permission to resume normal activities...
I've seen this in NC. People are treating it like a light switch. "Everything is OK. Back to normal."

Yes, absolutely!

Coming out of shutdowns, many, many folks took that as a green light that it was over, and the old and medically vulnerable needed to continue to stay safe and cautious, but everyone else could resume normal life. And probably many people felt a strong need to catch up on many sorely missed activities, particularly socializing with friends or extended family, and enjoying parties, bars, or other group gatherings.

I think in some states the focus was on getting the economy up and running again, and less on how important it was to maintain personal behavior precautions for everybody. When ironically it’s the personal behavior precautions that facilitate opening up the economy.

I also think that people, including officials, keep forgetting how incredibly contagious this virus can be given certain situations where people come together.

Last edited:
I think a more compelling message for young people is "do you want to continue to have the freedom to go out and have fun with your friends? Well, then, you need to do the simple things that make it possible. Like wear a mask inside and spread out a little. If you don't, they'll shut everything down again. Then you won't be able to do anything."
Clearly we needed powerful messaging directed towards younger people.

Clearly we needed powerful messaging directed towards younger people.

Up until a few years ago, I played volleyball in the neighborhood. As I've aged, I became "the old guy." It was fun playing with energetic young folks. Unfortunately, I had to stop due to medical issues (joint problems).

Last week I walked by the court and watched from a distance. They saw me and started yelling, "Hey Joe, come back and join us!"

Uh, no.

To me, it looked like a COVID party. Even though it was outside, they were waaay too close. Full teams of 6, and beer drinking at the picnic tables. But they made sure to let everyone know they were in compliance with the governor's orders because they had "less than 25 at an outside gathering." Never mind all the other directives/suggestions/pleads such as face masks, keeping 6 ft distance, etc.

Yes. They need to get the message. I get their need for this socialization. But it could have been done safer. As far as I saw, it was back to the Good Old Days with no restrictions. Not sure they got any message at all.

What about Covid-19 guilt? A friend of a friend caught Covid-19 at work and gave the virus to his father. The son is in his 40s, the father was around 70 with some of the usual health problems of age 70--high blood pressure, some breathing issues, etc. The father died and now the son is racked with guilt over giving his father the virus. I talked with my friend who is a close friend of the son who says the son keeps going over and over the things he did wrong--the son went to a work event and did not wear a mask or social distance (the company required masks and social distancing but the requirement was ignored) and many at the event caught the virus. Shortly thereafter (before the son knew he been exposed to the virus) the son invited his father over for dinner (inside, no masks, no social distancing). The father got sick a few days later and did not last long.

How can a person get over the guilt of being responsible for the death of a parent? I know if I did something to cause my sweet mother to die I would have a hard time living after that. My 90 year old mother may get Covid-19 and die but I am making sure she is not getting it from me.

I may disagree with my governor on many things, but I think he has done a good job to NOT give that impression, even calling the whole reopening "Safer at home." Doesn't matter. Too many people are just "back to normal."

Meanwhile, our curve is starting to steepen. I suspect we'll be in the national news more prominently soon.

My take is the only reason these people weren't going out earlier was because nothing was open. I don't think they payed attention one way or another. This means the bars might be closing their doors for the foreseeable future. If they aren't open people can't go to them. Going to a bar might one of the most non-essential things in this entire country. Just close them ....

My take is the only reason these people weren't going out earlier was because nothing was open. I don't think they payed attention one way or another.
This, my friend, is a very good point. There's a lot to that.

Don't blame only the younger generation. Many adults are throwing massive parties and refusing to wear masks at public places. While the younger generation may feel less vulnerable to COVID-19, many adults think it's a hoax.

Don't blame only the younger generation. Many adults are throwing massive parties and refusing to wear masks at public places. While the younger generation may feel less vulnerable to COVID-19, many adults think it's a hoax.

My sister, age 63, is having a party as I type this. I'm not there.

What about Covid-19 guilt? A friend of a friend caught Covid-19 at work and gave the virus to his father. The son is in his 40s, the father was around 70 with some of the usual health problems of age 70--high blood pressure, some breathing issues, etc. The father died and now the son is racked with guilt over giving his father the virus. I talked with my friend who is a close friend of the son who says the son keeps going over and over the things he did wrong--the son went to a work event and did not wear a mask or social distance (the company required masks and social distancing but the requirement was ignored) and many at the event caught the virus. Shortly thereafter (before the son knew he been exposed to the virus) the son invited his father over for dinner (inside, no masks, no social distancing). The father got sick a few days later and did not last long.

How can a person get over the guilt of being responsible for the death of a parent? I know if I did something to cause my sweet mother to die I would have a hard time living after that. My 90 year old mother may get Covid-19 and die but I am making sure she is not getting it from me.

So sorry that this happened to them.

If the son had stayed home 14 days (though with virus, no symptom) before meeting with the father, would the father be safe in that situation?

This, my friend, is a very good point. There's a lot to that.
Right. If you want to have an effect, you must place rules on businesses, and the rules need "teeth". Like a building inspector...an distancing inspector should have the right to levy a fine. If you don't like the law, vote in lawmakers that agree with you. I'm not advocating for stricter or looser distancing rules, I'm just agreeing that the more the laws target businesses, the better chances the rules will be followed. You can outlaw a house party with 13 or more people, but it's unenforceable, so becomes a suggestion.

If the son had stayed home 14 days (though with virus, no symptom) before meeting with the father, would the father be safe in that situation?

I am no medical person but from what I have read after the son tested positive for the virus he would then need a negative test (or have 2 negative tests?) before he should assume he is no longer infectious. What I understand happened was --on a Monday the son went to a work function and was exposed to the virus. Later that week he had his dad over for dinner. At that time son had no idea he had been exposed to the virus (but of course he knew he had been around many other people with no masks or social distancing so a cautious person would not have been near his high risk dad). A few days after that people at his work started getting sick, everyone was notified and tested. At that time son tested positive. Dad soon got sick and dies shortly thereafter. I know this is unusual, but I was told that dad died within a couple of weeks after being exposed. A sad cautionary tale.

The lockdown was just to prevent over crowding in hospitals. Nothing else has changed. People have to be responsible for themselves. No law or rule can ensure common sense or respect for others. If you don’t want to get it or give it take appropriate actions. Most people here in the SF Bay Area are not wearing mask in public or distancing.
Total disregard for others.

This is actually unknown.

Also it is possible that the father could have caught Covid-19 some other way. There is no way to know.

Unfortunately, the first person to show symptoms after attending a party is often thought to be the person that contaminated everyone else and passed it on. The reality is that one or more other people could have been the folks to make that first person ill. That's because people show symptoms at many different times after exposure and getting infected.

There is really no way to make everyone in the country appreciate and understand the science of virus and the science of disease transmission.

Last edited:
This is actually unknown.

Also it is possible that the father could have caught Covid-19 some other way. There is no way to know.

Unfortunately, the first person to show symptoms after attending a party is often thought to be the person that contaminated everyone else and passed it on. The reality is that one or more other people could have been the folks to make that first person ill. That's because people show symptoms at many different times after exposure and getting infected.

There is really no way to make everyone in the country appreciate and understand the science of virus and the science of disease transmission.

True, it is possible the father got it somewhere else, but the father did not have many contacts with others(except the son) and no doctor, dentist or barber appts and did not go out to eat or to Church so the logical assumption is he got it from his son. In any event the son is blaming himself and is consumed with guilt.

The article was about younger folks who are adults. They talked to several people in their 30s.

Unfortunately I think many people will go through this where they feel they were the likely one that infected family members, and have a lot of regret and guilt about not being more careful, as the story in the OP goes on to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom