Your Favorite 2023 Purchase?

My wife has long been suffering from some health-related issues and so we planned for 2023 to be a year focused on improving her health. Our best purchases? Dental implants and a brand-spanking-new knee. She's still recovering from the knee surgery, but the dental implants have already dramatically improved her life and we're thinking the knee will do the same. Expensive, but well worth it.

Tesla Model Y Long Range and a round of golf at Pinehurst #4 with my friends. Like others, my favorites were expensive this year, but BTD...

I've only had the car for about 5 weeks, but I've been more excited about it than any of the 19 cars I've owned before (including BMWs, Audis, Volvos, Corvette, and almost every Japanese brand, etc.). A whole new automotive world...

Last edited:
I blow my dough on backpacking gear nowadays. :LOL:

My favorite purchase(s) this year were a 0-degree down filled Enlightened Equipment backpacking quilt (I sleep cold) and a Durston X-Mid 1 ultralight tent.

1) Royal Enfield 350 motorcycle

2) Bathroom remodel for DW

3) Tent-style carport (tube steel frame with vinyl panels) for my car and bike.

This old girl, adopted from the local animal shelter.

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpeg
    IMG_0305.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 8

My favorite purchase(s) this year were a 0-degree down filled Enlightened Equipment backpacking quilt (I sleep cold) and a Durston X-Mid 1 ultralight tent.
2 excellent choices!

Continued free time.

I've only had the car for about 5 weeks, but I've been more excited about it than any of the 19 cars I've owned before

Wow, you've owned 20 cars in your life? Impressive!

Me, I've only owned 6 in the 60 years since I've been driving. Still, they were memorable - - a song was even written describing 4 of those 6:

2020 Dodge Ram, Big Horn Edition. I bought it because I thought it would be useful. I didn't realize how much fun it would be to drive.

Boat , but also my new 8 inch jointer ! Also paid off my RAM 1500 Limited - big year for us as we retired and used some of the home equity from selling the other house.

The facelift for our 1940 Jersey Shore beach home. New roof, new siding, red brick stained gray, deck stain and some deck trim painted white.
Well worth the expense and looks beautiful!

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    843.6 KB · Views: 11

Very nice. It’s not hard to BTD on lightweight gear. I have a 20 degree EE quilt and love it. The Durston tents are quite good. Saw lots of them on trail this year. I think Durston and Zpacks are the most common lightweight tents these days for backpackers although I’m still loyal to Big Agnes.

Something that certainly turned out to be my best purchase was two tickets to game 1 of the World Series. Long time Ranger fan, but was initially hesitant to get scalped and pay to go. But I decided what the heck. Who knows when I’d have another chance. Turned out game 1 was probably the best game to have attended of the entire series. Had a blast and memories that should last a long time.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a purchase . . . My dad was an amateur artist and a pretty good one at that. He died 19 years ago. This past summer I visited my sister in the US and shipped some of his paintings and sculptures to my home in Thailand. The art pieces were never on the market. They were displayed in our home or my father's office. When the Thai customs people asked about their value I could only say that it cost me $1,200 to ship them to myself. I appreciate these reminders of my dad every day in my new home.

Most of you won't understand but I got a new pair of shoes that I absolutely love. I waited for a very good sale and will wear them for years. They will be my super cool dress up shoes. (they are very well made, higher than I have worn in years, but don't pinch or hurt and they are FABULOUS).

My other favorite thing was I added a heater to my pool. Not only does this extend the "shoulder" seasons, but it means if we get a storm in the regular season that cools things I can always get that 90F experience I know I want.

I didn’t buy anything big this year. The biggest game changer? The breeze litter box. No smell. Minimal maintenance. The pellets she kicks out of the box are few and easy to clean up

This is a tough one. If I had to narrow it down to a single one, possibly the stack of 40 yard signs I bought for my business. It advertises Ash Tree Removal, as we have a LOT of infected ash trees that the Emerald Ash Borer has gotten to. Seeing how I own a tree service as a side hustle, I think I can capture a good 20 to 30k of revenue next year from those 40 yard signs. The goal would be 100k... but that is a stretch goal for sure.

I bought my kids their first set of ski's so we don't need to hastle with the rental lines...and of course we haven't had any snow this year, so also my biggest BUST alongside the wife's new Blizzak Snow tires for the Camry. They are incredible tires, but I have only got to try them once in the snow and then it melted.

Possibly a passport for my 8yr old son. We are going to go see the total solar eclipse in Mazatlan in April. Big astrologer/space fam, so pops and I and the boy will all go check that out. Should be a good time.

But then there is the medical bill I had to pay for a negative result from a mammogram for Mrs kgtest. So that is probably the best thing I "bought" I guess was that mammogram which lead to a massive amount of peace of mind and some stress lifting.

My best purchase this year was probably the new mattress. The old one was close to 20 years old, the new one really is more comfortable.

The divorce that cost only moving expenses and no transfer of assets. It's the personal equivalent of a "one-time restructuring charge":LOL:

A pair of battery (rechargeable) operated gloves. I was tired of my fingers freezing during walks and car rides.

Thick fleece pullover for walks (goes under my jacket).

Back
Top Bottom