Your favorite restaurant

By that definition. Go Chicken Go in KC.
[...]
I've eaten there for 38 years. Never had the chicken, some folks say it's great.
Best testimonial so far in this thread! Thanks!

I loved Thompson's Clam Bar in Cape Cod, in both buildings. I almost cried when I found out it closed, I visited there on vacation for over 25 years.

This was my absolute favorite place when I was a kid visiting Cape Cod. My grandparents lived in Dennisport, and we were in the Boston area, so we got there a lot during the summer in the 60's and 70's. Haven't been to Cape Cod in ages.

There was another place in Chatham called Fleming's. They used to have the best fried cod dinner. A piece of cod 1-1/2" thick. Makes my mouth water.

Bern's Steakhouse Tampa, great food, quirky atmosphere but hands down my favorite place.

Bern's is a CLASSIC! Love that place. Went years ago and had dessert and cigars upstairs in a small room just for our group. Largest wine selection in the country I would think. Incredible service, food and (as you say) quirky but great atmosphere. Must go to when in Tampa!

Mary & Tito's in Albuquerque has great New Mexican food, especially the red chile and carne adovada. I also like the Mexican wedding cake. The restaurant is in a so so part of town and has limited hours but I try to go there about once a month or two. Tito died many years ago but Mary was at the restaurant every working day well into her 90's monitoring the operations. Now she is gone but so far her grand daughter is doing a good job of keeping the tradition.

My favorite place closed down years ago. It was a train car on some island off the Jersey SHore. They served great scallops (the big ones) in linguini with vodka sauce, discount price before 6 PM. I miss it. The discount price made it taste better, of course. :)

El Cholo in Los Angeles! Only the original location on Western. Great Mexican food, great atmosphere, great service (though long wait for a table), and been there forever!

I loved Thompson's Clam Bar in Cape Cod, in both buildings. I almost cried when I found out it closed, I visited there on vacation for over 25 years.
Also miss Thompson's. It was summer vacation ritual for my family.

I like Kream n Kone. I liked the original and I like the new one ( I know there was controversy about the ownership)

When I visit Maryland I love Ledo's Pizza.

In Bethesda there is a little place called the Woodmont deli run by a very sweet lady.

And I love a curry house in downtown Frodsham UK but forget its name. Never met a curry I did not like though!

In The Houston Area...

A favorite of DW and our friends is called Tiny Boxwoods. Odd as it may sound its fine dining combined with an upscale garden center. The food is phenomenal. The setting is beautiful. Great wine list. Classic Jazz is music playing inside and outside. There is candlelight dining on the patio outside in the evenings. Link below...

Home | Tiny Boxwoods

We haven't eaten out in years, just hate to wait for the food anymore and eat with strangers.

However, when we lived in the midwest, the best place in terms of menu and ambiance was Powers in Ft Wayne. They have been making sliders since the late '30s.

The best time to visit and have them cook up a sack full was after 11pm. Then you could be entertained by the drunks, old retired guys, the FWPD bunko detectives and so forth. It was great! And completely safe.

It literally was a 1940s Art Deco style diner. It had and still has a cult-like following in that town.

There are some nice Sonoran style restaurants here in town but we've tired of the "eatin' out" scene.

_B

Attachments

• 20080826-powers-intro.jpg
    20080826-powers-intro.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 43
When traveled to NYC ate at a lot of steak and other restaurants on others expense account, must say they were pretty much all fantastic and can't recall the names (it's been 6 years of retirement!). Do remember the China Grill I believe in the CBS building was pretty cool presentations.

If I'm paying and we're in town, it's hard to believe but we have a great seafood place here in the middle of the Piedmont, 1618 Grill in Greensboro. Took a buddy and his wife there who spent his career entertaining high end clients all over and he agreed. The chef has an incredible knack for presentation (and it tastes great too!). In general if we're out I get seafood as I can do a pretty good steak here between sous vide and the Big Green Egg! Plus we've cut back on the beef quite a bit.

Lamberts cafe in Brandon, Missouri
Where they throw Rolls at you 😋

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Also miss Thompson's. It was summer vacation ritual for my family.

I like Kream n Kone. I liked the original and I like the new one ( I know there was controversy about the ownership)

Another trip down memory lane. Early to mid 60's we would always go to the Kream n Kone for ice cream. Back then there was a farm across the street and we would give the end of our cones to the horse that grazed there.

Let's try this, 3 crowns, Brinkworth, UK
Great food, beyond typical pub food.
I have not been there since 1999... so it may have changed.... or closed

I grew up in the San Francisco area and slightly south of the city, on El Camino Real, is the best sandwich shop I've visited. Little Lucca's, it is in a tiny old house and has been making awesome sandwiches since at least the mid 60's. All types of sandwiches, but what makes them really special is a spicy pesto sauce and the breads, SF sourdough and a Dutch Crunch bread.

It was always great to pick up those sandwiches and bring them to Giants or 49er games up the road a bit. We're in SoCal now, but my kids when in the SF area, have also started going there. 3rd generation patrons : )

My local good deal, go to place is La Lomita, a Mexican restaurant with good margaritas and puerco asado. For local high end I thoroughly enjoyed Pineapples and Pearls, a new Michelin 2 star about four blocks from home. For P&P you reserve way ahead, pay everything ahead including tips and get about 15 courses (most very small) with wine pairings.

One of my favorites is a chain restaurant that shares ownership with Macaroni Grill--Maggione's Little Italy.

If you go in with 4 people, you can get a family style meal and the food just keeps coming and coming and coming. Trick is to get the last fillup--and then ask for a to go container.

It's much better food than any meal we've ever had in Italy.

Fem Sma Hus in old town Stockholm. ("Five Small Houses")

Cut out of wine cellars ("vaults") underneath 400+ year old houses. Unbelievable atmosphere. Unbelievable food.

I know we have forum members all over the world here, but I thought it would be fun to ask everyone to tell us about their favorite restaurant. What is the name, where is it located, and why do you like it?

I'm really curious to see if we have any favorites that are shared by other forum members. And maybe we'll all learn about a new restaurant in the process.

For me, I'm going to provide two. When I'm local, I love Chen's Chinese Food in Long Beach. It's the classic unhealthy Chinese food, with each portion being enough food to serve four people. Classic comfort food, and the only Chinese food worth eating in my area.

When I'm visiting Palm Springs, I have an addiction to the pizza at Bill's Pizza. I don't know what they do there, but the pizza there is the best I've had anywhere in the world. And I've been to Italy. If you go there, try the Blue Moon special. Worth every calorie!
One of our favorites in Palm Springs is Cheekys! I dream of their Chilaquilies!
!

I think restaurant food is so much better almost everywhere than it used to be, so I'll just say the last one I went to and the next one I'll go to. I remember when Beef Wellington at the late great The Bakery in Chicago back in the day was so highly rated--and I can't imagine ordering that today.

My favs at the moment

Lilttle Miss BBQ Phoenix Worth the wait-go early(1-2 hr+)and go on Pastrami day-nothing like it.
Odd Duck Austin
Luxxe Phoenix Breakfast and Lunch
Gelateria La Carraia-Florence Italy-best Gelato!
Il Corvo-Seattle-lunch only-Italian Michelin rated-try everything and take the leftovers to go.

Orange County, CA
Kit Coffee
Outpost Kitchen-breakfast
Vaca-Dinner
Pueblo-Costa Mesa-HH and dinner

So many restaurants so little time...that's why I travel

Last edited:
My favorite restaurant is now closed, and the owner was convicted of human trafficking in one of the biggest cases ever to hit Northern California. Pasand India restaurant, Berkeley, Santa Clara, San Francisco. I went to the one in Berkeley when I was in college. Later, we went to the one in Santa Clara, which also closed. A few years before it closed, I was the pediatrician for one of the wait staff there. He didn't have health insurance and we didn't take Medicaid. So I charged him for the vaccines and gave them free check ups. The kids were really healthy. We went there so frequently they knew what we would order and we frequently were given free meals.

The waiter was the nephew of the perpertrator of the sex slave trafficking ring, but he knew nothing about it. A few years before the case broke open, he moved to Dallas to manage a restaurant opening there. That restaurant was not affected by the legal case and is open today. I know where I will go to eat if I ever have an occasion to visit Dallas. Their spinach pakoras are really good, as is their vegetable masala and vegetable koorma curries. When my son was two, the only way we could get him to eat vegetables was to give him their sambhar, which was loaded with carrots and other veggies!

I just checked the menu in the Dallas restaurant. Their prices are still amazingly good.

For the most fun for the buck my favorite was Horn and Hardart Automat in Times Square. My grandfather would dole out nickels , dimes, and quarters to us boys and I could spend an hour picking my lunch behind the glass doors. Most of the time we were there in visit the Museum of Natural History, a place I still would enjoy today.

Back
Top Bottom