70 lbs

jacambece

Dryer sheet wannabe
So here’s the deal, I’m going to Italy for two weeks…YIPPY! For some reason my father is packing twelve suitcases, six with clothes and six with crap…well not crap, but gifts. One of the gifts is seventy pounds of frozen fish, who brings frozen fish over seas? Not to mention the weight limit imposed due to gas prices; how will be getting all this stuff over there? I don’t want to be carrying fish in my luggage, if I get there and the first thing is say is “what is that smell I don’t want it to be from my bags”. Besides all that, almost all the suitcases are full and there are still 4 people who need to pack for the trip and I still need to bring more pants. WTF, why is he bringing so much unnecessary stuff? Well if anyone has ideas on how I can get all this to travel well give me a holler, I’m going to need all the advice I can get.

Cambece

What the hell? :LOL:

I'm not trying to be mean, but damn that sounds like an insane situation.

Will they even allow him to bring the fish into the country? I would think that there must be some kind of law against it, like bringing plants and animals into the US. And I have to ask, why does he want to bring that much fish?

It might be cheaper to ship the gifts separately? The airlines are gonna charge you bigtime for extra luggage.

jacambece said:
So here’s the deal, I’m going to Italy for two weeks…YIPPY! For some reason my father is packing twelve suitcases, six with clothes and six with crap…well not crap, but gifts. One of the gifts is seventy pounds of frozen fish, who brings frozen fish over seas?

Cambece,

I'm always amazed at how some posters respond to the needs of others on this forum. It's nice to see you took boont's "Need Better Posts" request to heart and immediately took remedial action.

Keep up the good work! :)

Pack what you need for one week; it will last 2 if you just rinse some stuff out in the sink.

P.S. They have fish in Italy. If you must bring something (and you're from NE), bring live lobsters. Now THOSE are hard to find, and $$$.

Coming into Italy you are unlikely to have problems; there are usually just a few bored-looking guys in uniform who (used to sit back smoking and) kinda size you up. But if you have a suitcase dripping fishy-smelling water (which you will) then all bets are off. You could freeze the fish in liquid Nitrogen but some of it will still melt. What, are you planning to use Tupperware and triple Zip-Locs? Also, who is going to be able to eat all this 70 lbs. of fish before it goes bad? You don't want to be re-freezing it.

If you are at 2 suitcases per person then you wont be paying extra, but check your airline limits closely and weigh your bags at home before leaving. Some carriers have recently reduced the per bag weight, and one thing you do NOT want to be doing is opening up and re-packing stuff, fish or no fish, on the terminal floor.

Italy has Water on 3 of its' 4 sides, it even has its' own Islands, why does it need more Fish:confused:

I feel I need to weigh in here.

I would not risk the fish :crazy:, but as a separate point do not have any one suitcase weighing over 50 pounds as you may be charged extra by the airline.  When we last traveled (Continental to Europe) we had just two suitcases between the five of us and then got charged $50 ($25 per bag) for overweight!  DH was mad as we could have had 10 suitcases altogether - as long as none of them was over the 50# limit!  It didn't seem worth the hassle of repacking in the departure hall  :LOL:

We'll not be caught again though ....

Wait a minute.

How many suitcases can you have? Seriously, I thought the limit was two checked a one carry on.

We're going to Italy for a month--2 people, 1 carryon & 1 backpack each, no fish. ewww...keep Daddy's lugguage away from mine, will ya?!

Why 6 suitcases of clothes--is he bringing Levis to the relatives?! My daughter the clotheshorse moved to France for a year and with 1 carryon and 1 large dufflebag. And she had a computer and textbooks.

jj said:
I feel I need to weigh in here.

I would not risk the fish :crazy:, but as a separate point do not have any one suitcase weighing over 50 pounds as you may be charged extra by the airline.  When we last traveled (Continental to Europe) we had just two suitcases between the five of us and then got charged $50 ($25 per bag) for overweight!  DH was mad as we could have had 10 suitcases altogether - as long as none of them was over the 50# limit!  It didn't seem worth the hassle of repacking in the departure hall  :LOL:

We'll not be caught again though ....

Same problem here...we bought 6 tickets, each of us was entitled to 100lbs of luggage (50# per bag), but decided to travel "light" and only packed 2 suitcases in total...one was 52lbs, and the other was 55lbs, 107lbs total when we were "entitled" to bring 600lbs based on our tickets...sure enough they tried to whack us with an overweight charge...go figure. We did manage to re-pack on the fly and carry on a few more lbs to save the $100...

Back
Top Bottom