Are your neighbors insane?

Reading this thread has given me the urge to register at NextDoor. It opens a whole new world of opportunity - to mess with people.:)

It is really easy to do that. However, the drawback is on nextdoor they know what street you live on. To keep non residents from posting, one has to register. But what many people forget to do when they register is click the 'hide your address' box.

I'd almost forgotten. After we sold our house, we rented a house in a "high density" neighborhood. About once a week someone in the neighborhood would let out a Tarzan call for about a full minute. I could never figure out where it came from. :LOL:

I do not frequent NextDoor, but this gives me an idea.

What if I do an experiment by playing the above sound track on the loudspeakers that I will bring out to the backyard? I can play it only once a week and at a specific time, then see how long it takes for somebody to report it on NextDoor? :LOL:

I would not play it for a full minute though. That's long enough for people to poke their head over the block fence and discover the source of the sound. :nonono:

I'm surprised that my anecdote about a worker sneaking onto my property is still being talked about. I didn't expect to get any reactions or interest about it at all. What concerns me is that somehow, either I haven't expressed myself properly, or have been grossly misunderstood.

Context matters.

One - this happened over 20 years ago, when I was a young sleep-deprived mother at home alone during the day with a toddler and a baby.

Two - this man was a total stranger to me. We hadn't hired him to do any work on or near our house. None of our neighbors were having work done. All of the houses were recently built at the time, within a couple of years. We were new to this area. I wasn't familiar enough yet with who lived around here, what was commonplace for this area, what wasn't, etc.

Three - during this time, I regularly spent some time outdoors each day with my toddler daughter. Walking out with her in my backyard to suddenly find a strange man in it would not have been a good situation. Mostly for him.

Four - I didn't confront him the first time I saw him. I don't care much about an isolated incident. I observed him doing this regularly, several times a day, over maybe a few days, before I said something to him. It went on longer than I knew though, because it took awhile before I really noticed that I was hearing the sound of water running every day, at times when no one was using any water in the house.

Five - he had the nerve to act like he was entitled to come in my yard and take my water. He didn't introduce himself, try to explain anything, or even make up a credible story like, "Oh, sorry, I didn't realize anyone was home, but, blah, blah, blah," any of which might have softened me up enough to let him continue. He was just mad that he'd been caught.

Six - if we have people working on our property, yes, they have access to our water, sinks, bathrooms, whatever they need, within reason, to ensure they're comfortable while doing their job. Sometimes workers have asked, sometimes not, but I don't fuss about it. I want them to do the best possible job. That's not going to happen if they're dying of thirst or their bladder/bowels are screaming at them. :facepalm:

I may come across as still too emotional over an incident that happened so long ago. Why, you ask? A couple of reasons. :)

I don't know if it's because we live on a corner or what, but there's been a tendency of people to act as though our property is public property. Either that, or it just provides easy access for a quick getaway, if needed.

Several of our neighbors have had their homes/property broken into in the 23 years we've lived here. Among them, 3 of our 4 adjoining neighbors. Sometimes the neighbors were home at the time, sometimes they weren't. This is the nicest and newest neighborhood in an old community.

Among our experiences since living here:

My husband's bike was stolen between 3 PM and 4 PM on a weekday, right out of our garage.

More than once, I'd been woken up in the middle of the night with people making a racket on the 2 play sets we had in the back yard for our kids. Just kind of a hit-and-run through and too dark to be able to identify anyone. I mean, who goes into someone's back yard at 3 AM to do that? :mad:

An adult woman who appeared to have Down's Syndrome, regularly sat on a bench swing on one of the play sets. I asked some of the neighbors about her. They said she was trouble and they had to keep chasing her off their porches. I told her she was on private property and had to leave. She came back several times after that, to the point I had to threaten to call the police. That worked. I've got nothing against people with Down's Syndrome. I once had a temp assignment at a workshop and found them to be some of the most delightful people. Again, it's the "stranger using my stuff without permission and I've got young kids to protect" Syndrome. We took the play sets down years ago, so at least that stuff isn't going on anymore.

Around 11 PM, right after I'd gone to bed, I heard a bump against the side of the house by the patio. The following morning, I found fresh cigarette butts on our patio. We don't smoke. I cleaned them up. Over the next few weeks, I kept finding them, kept cleaning them up. I starting looking around the entire back yard. Every day. At the time, we still had the play sets up. I kid you not - I found a partially buried Yoplait yogurt cup in the dirt right beneath the bench swing. We didn't have any in the house. By this time, our kids and their friends weren't using the play sets anymore. So, sometime the previous night, someone decided to have themselves a little sit on the play set, eat a yogurt, and bury their garbage in my yard!

We've had stolen CDs tossed into our back yard. Twice. Several years apart.

One time there were adult footprints in the snow that pointed to someone walking down the sidewalk, coming across our lawn, and standing there, peeking through a gap in the curtain into our family room. It wasn't any of us.

Around midnight once, we were awakened by a loud banging at our front door. It was so loud that my husband, who can sleep through almost anything, started to get out of bed to answer it. He was groggy, of course, and not thinking. I stopped him quick! Just before that, there had been warnings in our local paper about burglars who were using that as a tactic to gain entry into homes. It was working, unfortunately. People had been hurt already. I think we dodged one that time.

About a year ago, someone knocked on our door around 8 PM, when it was still dark, maybe around February. We didn't have a curtain on the window (now we do) and all I could see was a man with a hood up, looking in. Our kitchen lights were on and he could see me quite clearly, I'm sure. I immediately told my husband. He started walking down the hall towards the door. The guy immediately turned away and left. He hadn't even been standing there a minute. We both figured that if it had been anyone we knew, or anyone with legitimate business, he wouldn't have left.

One day, I noticed that an old man started parking his car in the street next to my house suddenly, in an area where no cars are usually parked. I wouldn't have thought anything of it, except it was starting to get light around 7:30 AM, so I'd open my patio curtains. As soon as I did, he'd drive away. After several days of this, I left the curtains closed longer. Sure enough, he still sat there, until I opened the curtains. I'll spare you the long story of that, but several neighbors got involved, the sheriff's office, the local police. Myself and many of the neighbors still had kids catching the school bus at our corner and the next corner, so it was a concerning matter to us.

I tell you this honestly, I felt safer living in Cleveland!

Disclaimer: our house in Cleveland was broken into before I ever lived there, but my husband wasn't home at the time. It had been vacant for awhile before he moved in. He figured that they might have thought it was still vacant. We had a pumpkin stolen out of our back yard. It was massive. I was regularly awoken by the sound of a crazy ex-neighbor shooting off a gun in front of our house. It wasn't personal though. He was trying to frighten his ex, who lived across the street from us. I'd regularly clean up the bullet casings from where they fell in the street next to my car. Eventually, he stopped coming around. Still, I felt safer, as odd as that sounds.

We got an invite in the mail to Nextdoor with a code good for a week. This thread already warned me that I might not like it. Sounds like it’s mostly for complainers.

But actually we already have active private Facebook groups for our small subdivision, plus a things for sale group, so it seemed redundant, and an attempt to siphon people off existing forums?

So, sticking with the old stuff,I really do not want to participate in yet another forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for agreeing with me that he was stealing. :LOL: He probably took several quarts across many days before I bothered to investigate. I don't remember all that each of us said, but it went something like this: I opened a window and said, "Excuse me, but what are you doing?" He got startled and angry right away. If he would have said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know anyone was home. Do you mind?" I would have been fine with that. Instead, he said something snotty, so I said, "We're paying for that water." He said, "What do you want, a dime for the water?" in a snotty way. So I said, "No, I don't want your money. I would have liked you to ask first. Then you could have all the free water you want." It still could have been salvaged, but he walked away, still angry.

If you plant a vegetable garden, does that give your neighbors the right to take what they want without asking permission? BTW, if you think that's being upset...that's nothing. IIRC, I had 1 toddler and 1 infant at home at the time and was probably sleep deprived and massively short on patience. Can I plead temporary insanity? :D

I do try to pick my battles and not make every little thing into one.

To me, it's more about the respect, than stealing. You, and your property, were disrespected by a total stranger who just came onto your property, without permission. It's an invasion of personal space. And, a disruption, since you were alerted by his presence, with the sound of running water.

If the guy had just come up and asked if he could have some water from the tap, that would've been a different story. But, to just invade your personal space like that, and assume everything is there at his disposal, is just wrong, and disrespectful.

I always offer cold water, or agua fria, to whoever's working in or around the house. It is gratefully accepted - especially in Florida - yet you'd be surprised how often I get "No thanks, I'm good." People who spend a lot of time outside know to tote their own water and other refreshments.

I lend my bathroom grudgingly, since all too often it is returned to me very smelly and with the seat left up :mad: Still, it would be a truly stingy act to refuse someone who needs to go...what're they supposed to do, dig a hole in the yard?

In our neighborhood construction is still ongoing regularly enough that there are plenty of porta potties scattered about. Plus end work crew brings plenty of water with them.

This is current American trendy social behavior or ethos. It's all about me! You don't count. It's been building for a while. And I mean decades. It's not a product of the current political scene, although I see politics as an expression fo it. Everybody, at every level, feels entitled "get away with it." whatever it might be they are trying to pull. To paraphrase As Rodney: "I don't give no respect. No respect at all." Or as my uncle used to say in his famous rhyming advice: "Bravo a mi! Ba f*nculo, a ti!! "
In my Next Door community, there is a preponderance of "if you don't like what I'm doing, too bad" as in "dogs bark - that's your problem, not mine," "kids act up, that's your problem, not mine," "I rent my property, but I feel 100% entitled to complain about what homeowners do." That is the general tenor of many of the ongoing conversations. My husband likes to provoke the first standard deviation below the mean, but I avoid them now because they are just too stupid to engage with.

.......... "I rent my property, but I feel 100% entitled to complain about what homeowners do." .....
This one I don't get. Are renters second class citizens? :confused:

The North American Imbecile (Imbecilus Borealis Americae) is at home in all environments from the northern tundra to the southern deserts.

They reproduce rapidly and often loudly. They consume all available resources and their dwellings are often in poor repair. They will encroach on the habitat of more intelligent species if allowed to do so.

Best avoided or ignored if possible.

Touche'! Moving to cowboy country to escape "The Nothing".

I think I'm missing out. My Nextdoor feed consists of nothing but lost and found pets, questions about recommendations for contractors, items and services for sale, and one person who sells baked goods about once per week. I think once there was a post warning about a bear in the neighborhood.

Dang, this is no fun at all!

I think I'm missing out. My Nextdoor feed consists of nothing but lost and found pets, questions about recommendations for contractors, items and services for sale, and one person who sells baked goods about once per week. I think once there was a post warning about a bear in the neighborhood.

Similar experience here, just replace the bear warning with mountain lion...

Dang, this is no fun at all!

Just go to YouTube and search for "neighbor from hell" .... ;)

It was not easy to obtain an restraining order on a crazy neighbor I had. The guy refused to get served with the order which had to be handed to him in person. We had to ask a sheriff to help serve the order and he wasn't so happy about the task. 3 other neighbors had equally hard time serving the order as the crazy dude did his best to hide whenever he suspected of being served. He also hid from cops when the neighbors called them for various things the crazy dude did. It wasn't fun having a crazy guy living next door.

Well, I thought I was done with this thread, but...

The house next door is a quite a bit larger than ours. Over the years, the neighbors (middle aged brother and sister) slowly made their house color, siding, shutters and fencing etc the same as ours. At holidays, they pretty much copy our decorations. Imitation being flattery one would suppose. From a distance and a certain angle you'd mistake both homes as one, very large seaside house.

Don't get me wrong, they're great neighbors and we love them. Like us, they are living in their grandparents home, so both our grandparents were also neighbors and while not best friends, we've known each other all our lives.

But here comes the kicker!!

We recently came across an online comment from a friend of theirs who stayed with them for a week. She was gushing about how she enjoyed her stay and how generous they were with allowing "the help" (that would be us) to live in such a nice, separate home "on the family compound".

We laugh about it because they're the sort who grew up portraying a certain image (some of it legit, some of it BS) so we just see it as another extension of their own 'positioning' of how they want to be seen. It's harmless and we ignore it but we found ourselves wondering how they explain how the help (that would be us) are able to be around all week and never set foot in our employer's house, entertain our own friends and come and go without checking-in. Why I was driving "their" new Mercedes and they were in an old Jeep would've been another good question.

Insane? A bit. Eccentric? Definitely! Fun? Always.

Last edited:
I would have set the friends straight with a comment. Yes your neighbors sounds crazy.

I would have set the friends straight with a comment. Yes your neighbors sounds crazy.

What would the comment be?

We don't even know who the friends are. And not quite sure what we'd say. As noted, we view it all as harmless.

And sometimes people just come to their own false conclusions without much prompting based upon their own preconceived notions.

"Never complain, never explain"

Last edited:
OMG, that friend sure is gullible! Although if it were me, I might comment publicly about the "help" to see if that prompted anyone to say "WTF are you talking about??"

Actually, the first thing I'd do if the property records were online would be to check if they actually owned both properties. But then, I've always believed one should trust but verify.

OMG, that friend sure is gullible! Although if it were me, I might comment publicly about the "help" to see if that prompted anyone to say "WTF are you talking about??"

Actually, the first thing I'd do if the property records were online would be to check if they actually owned both properties. But then, I've always believed one should trust but verify.

C'mon. It wasn't that big enough of a deal to go checking property records!
These people are quite wealthy, have many homes and to have a "family compound" would certainly be within the realm of possibility and one could easily jump to that assumption.
They do indeed have household help but they don't live on the premises.

Last edited:
We don't even know who the friends are. And not quite sure what we'd say. As noted, we view it all as harmless.

Yes, I see this as completely harmless, but a curious and a funny story which is what you (Marko) made it.

Terry Teacher: what is the need to set the friends straight? I don't get it.

Yes, I see this as completely harmless, but a curious and a funny story which is what you (Marko) made it.

Terry Teacher: what is the need to set the friends straight? I don't get it.

Thanks. I wasn't complaining or commenting. Just found it a humorous misinterpretation based on guests of some eccentric neighbors.

C'mon. It wasn't that big enough of a deal to go checking property records! These people are quite wealthy and to have a "family compound" would certainly be within the realm of possibility and one could easily jump to that assumption.
They do indeed have household help but they don't live on the premises.

Who says it has to be a big deal? I meant to say if the property records are online, which they are in my area, and a lot of others. It's usually very easy to check, although for some documents you have to provide an email address.

Thanks. I wasn't complaining or commenting. Just found it a humorous misinterpretation based on guests of some eccentric neighbors.
+1

They sound like some interesting folks to live next to.

Our first appartment as a young married couple was very interesting. The older couple who lived next door frequently talked about their family. One day the woman invited DW to meet some of her family. Her and her husband were glued to a daytime soap opera, that was the family.

Who says it has to be a big deal? I meant to say if the property records are online, which they are in my area, and a lot of others. It's usually very easy to check, although for some documents you have to provide an email address.

Well, the property records are on file. But I couldn't imagine a guest/friend visiting to go checking them to make sure who owned the house next door. Besides, both houses are in trusts to it'd be hard to nail down ownership anyway.

Regardless, we suspect that the guest came to their conclusion on their own based upon their history with our neighbors and the neighbors aren't the type who'd correct you if you did come to that mistaken belief.

+1

They sound like some interesting folks to live next to.

Our first appartment as a young married couple was very interesting. The older couple who lived next door frequently talked about their family. One day the woman invited DW to meet some of her family. Her and her husband were glued to a daytime soap opera, that was the family.

Now that really fits the theme of this thread!

Back
Top Bottom