Baseball 2019

I don't think this has ever happened, but has any World Series ended where all the games were won on the away team's field? The possibility exists still in this series.

I know back in 2016, the Cubs won 3 games in Cleveland, but not all 4.
Never.

https://www.mlb.com/news/world-series-road-teams-notching-early-wins

This article shows two series where the road team won the first 5 games, and says this is the 5th team a series has had the first 4 games be road wins. It also says that 3 teams have won in the 2-3-2 format after losing their first two road games (1985, 86, and 96).

I can only hope, that the very unusual pattern of only winning while on the road, doesn't continue with this series. Last night the game was great. Maybe the Astros are just late series bloomers....

I can only hope, that the very unusual pattern of only winning while on the road, doesn't continue with this series. Last night the game was great. Maybe the Astros are just late series bloomers....

I think we are just witnessing some mean reversion - the nats were playing way over their heads this postseason

For game 6, I think the sentimental storyline may Justin Verlander, finally succeeding in the WS, and camera showing Kate Upton every 30 minutes.

But I'm picking Strasburg and the Nats in game 6 for force a game 7 where all hands on deck for both teams :).

That’d be nice. Game 7s can be magical things, and not just for the die-hard fans of the teams involved.
Not to mention all the extra money for the owners, vendors, TV, etc.... Makes you wonder especially after some of terrible/questionable calling of balls and strikes during the entire series.

Not to mention all the extra money for the owners, vendors, TV, etc.... Makes you wonder especially after some of terrible/questionable calling of balls and strikes during the entire series.

when will the robots start calling balls and strikes?

From the link: "This year’s biggest experiment is the use of the automated ball-strike system (ABS). The “robot umpire” will be in use at all games at Salt River Fields, which is the home for the Salt River Rafters and Scottsdale Scorpions this season. It was utilized for the Rafters’ first two games on Wednesday and Thursday and the Scorpions’ first game at the venue on Friday."
https://www.mlb.com/news/major-league-baseball-tests-robot-umpires-arizona-fall-league

when will the robots start calling balls and strikes?
Robots can be told what to do too! But they would probably be more consistent.

Last edited:

I suppose so. Just a naive person who likes the game. I stumbled across a podcast recently called “Infamous America” that featured the “Black Sox” story of 1919. It was pretty interesting although I bet most people have seen the movie or read the book.

Money money money!

Even if we (the Astros) don't win the series, it's been a great and fun year in H-Town. This town has great fans and this is a great franchise. :cool:

Wow! What a bizarre World Series! Home teams lose first six games? WTH?

I'm thinking the Nats are destined and will finish it off tomorrow night.... they are overdue.

I'm glad Nats won game 6. Not only because I like the drama of a game 7, but feel they got robbed on that runner interference play.

Now I'm hoping Game 7 goes about 14 innings :cool:.

Last edited:
Wow! What a bizarre World Series! Home teams lose first six games? WTH?

I'm thinking the Nats are destined and will finish it off tomorrow night.... they are overdue.

I recall reading a statistical analysis of the home field advantage across multiple sports some years ago. The math suggested that the primary contributor was bad umpiring in the home team's favor, likely subconsciously influenced by the crowd. Now with instant replay able to reduce the number of bad calls, perhaps the advantage for home teams (which was small) is diminishing.

Back
Top Bottom