Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Clothes make the man
Old 09-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
... several years ago i stopped wearing a watch ... life has been so much more relaxing ever since.*
Agreed.* Getting close to ER, time (e.g. "what time is it") is less important.* In ER, I expect to "tell time" by the changing of the seasons (I live in NE US) rather than the movement of the minute/second hand...

- Ron

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If i was buying a watch just to tell time, i'd just get a cheap timex.* * I want a watch as a male jewelry piece, per the "clothes make the man" thread title.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:29 AM   #63

We maybe need another thread for the personality tests.* I"d like to see some results from some of you other guys.* *Take your time on the test;* i actually went back through it twice to "tweak" my answers so that i got the most accurate results.* *

I guess with me, its pretty clear, i'm a combo Antisocial/Narcissistic personality disorder.* So go easy on me on my arrogant and heartless posts, because i have a medical condition and its part of who i am.

Azanon
Old 09-16-2006, 10:44 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
Agreed.* Getting close to ER, time (e.g. "what time is it") is less important.* In ER, I expect to "tell time" by the changing of the seasons (I live in NE US) rather than the movement of the minute/second hand...

- Ron
You may find, as I did, that it's not wearing the watch and knowing what time it is that is unpleasant, but rather what working life forces you to do with chronological information.* I find in ER my attitude towards time changed dramatically.* I still wear a watch, but use the information to help with things like knowing when to turn the ribs on the grill, coordinating meeting DW at the walking trail, getting to the theater before the play starts, etc.

Don't let the symbol of the wrist watch cover up what's really important.* Getting to FIRE is what's key!* After that, knowing what time it is probably won't bother you anymore.

FIRE, ususally not easy to get to, but damn well worth it!*
Old 09-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
We maybe need another thread for the personality tests. I"d like to see some results from some of you other guys. Take your time on the test; i actually went back through it twice to "tweak" my answers so that i got the most accurate results.
You are a narcissist so we can't trust your tweaks - you just want to make yourself look better
Old 09-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

I am late to the party, but what a thread!

When reading Azanon's posts, I am reminded of this from an old post of his:

Quote:

If my goal was to people please, there's a good chance i'd be one of your favorites here.* *I'm known at work as a really nice guy.* *I can be anything i want to be with the blink of an eye.* To use an analogy, in RL/work, i'm Garth Brooks.* On these boards, i'm Chris Gaines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Gaines

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ha, well i think having "A look" is important, but its a minor thing when compared to some other things like your attitude, confidence, and self-respect.* *"Euro's" just one approach.* I think its more important that you just do something to look nice (be hot to them), than just being lazy about it.* Make an effort and they'll notice it, and ya put them in the right mindframe.

I picked out a couple of nice Bulova Marine Star watches I like too - love that goth looking emblem and I saw some nice black ones with black leather straps (I dont like silver bands).* As far as Movado goes Brewer, they sell some more contemporary looking ones too.* With Movado, my aim is not to say "I'm gay" rather, I have money and I'm not afraid to spend it.* Yes, i'm going to avoid the metrosexual looking ones like the plague since my demenor is extreme masculine (so i like to dress that way too).* Yeah, i'm not a big guy, but there's nothing about my demenor that's feminine.

I'm still mulling over a chain though.* I had a hot latino (cuban origin) women in Miami where i used to live that said she'd ignore a guy that had no necklace.* *But yeah, I think "they" might like more bling bling than caucasians do.* *So I dunno - bare neck vs a gold/silver chain.* hmmm, i haven't decided.

Azanon
As a married man (with a kid), you just earned a new moniker: the Ding Dong Daddy. *See: http://lyrics.astraweb.com/display/8...dcar_line.html

If you want to show off with your spendiness, why bother with a Movado? *How about a Rolex, or even a real watch like a Breitling, Cartier, or Jaeger-Lecoulter?

A silver chain? *You might as well just wrap some tinfoil around your neck (at least it will match the helmet). *Even gold is, well, I'd best not say. *How about platinum?

Might not look so good with the tin can Honda, though.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:18 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

One thing you have to say for Azanon- he is not into polishing his image on this board. Give him an A for that.

Ha
Old 09-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
One thing you have to say for Azanon- he is not into polishing his image on this board. Give him an A for that.

Ha
What's the saying? Oh yes: "@ssholes always advertise."

- Will Rogers
Old 09-17-2006, 02:18 AM   #70

Most days: I have about 300 T-shirts. Many of them were free. I pick the one on top and rotate the stacks as required. In the summer I wear shorts. In the winter, I wear jeans. When I go out, I add straw hat and sunglasses. Tennis shoes or hiking boots depending on where I'm going.

For professional and volunteer activities: White cotton dress shirt. Carefully selected Carhart jeans (ie. no paint splotches or stains). Newest tennis shoes.

For more formal activities: same as professional and volunteer activities but add sport jacket.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Summer: shorts (denim usually), tees, polos, flip-flops or "running" shoes

Winter: jeans, rugby shirts, running shoes

Bad hair day: cap

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:18 AM   #72

Up here in Montreal, the French women are all pretty dressy. The lowest they'll go is a pair of tight, form-fitting jeans and a tight T-shirt. Otherwise, school is like a fashion show everyday. Thank god for the undergrad marketing department.

I don't know why everybody is jumping on Azanon for admitting he's a bit of a showboat. Heck, Saluki9 didn't get this much heat for admitting to performing body grooming for his (wife's?) pleasure.

I know what the "right" thing to say especially on an ER board is that it's the man and not the clothes. (Just goes to show you that every place eventually develops a dogma.) That may be great for you lucky ERs or married folks who no longer need to pay a lot of attention to your looks. After all, there is no WSJ article on the latest fashion for vision quests and for posting on ER forums. However, for us slaves who still need to run around in the world, we still need to maintain our outward appearance. It's one kind of the grease that eases our way.

If you don't believe me, then do you ever notice that when you're making a presentation, it doesn't hurt if you're dressed one notch above your normal day-to-day wear? Why is that? Why can't I show up in a T-shirt for interviews? A tie certainly constricts blood flow, making a stressful situation a lot more difficult to handle. It's because your employer wants to see if you're presentable when and if your work calls for you to be presentable even if your job calls for you to be a data monkey all day.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:01 AM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
I don't know why everybody is jumping on Azanon for admitting he's a bit of a showboat.
Because we can*
Old 09-18-2006, 07:02 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
I don't know why everybody is jumping on Azanon for admitting he's a bit of a showboat. Heck, Saluki9 didn't get this much heat for admitting to performing body grooming for his (wife's?) pleasure.
Hmmm, maybe it is because he is so concerned with impressing women other than his wife with his serial killer fashion choices?

- Will Rogers
Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Hmmm, maybe it is because he is so concerned with impressing women other than his wife with his serial killer fashion choices?
Hey, give him some space on this too- after all he is just trying to single-handedly and with no little sacrifice shove a new generation of Arkies a bit to the right on the bell curve.

Maybe 100 years from now, they'll all be GS 13s, and Az will have his statue on the statehouse lawn.

Ha
Old 09-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Hey, give him some space on this too- after all he is just trying to single-handedly and with no little sacrifice shove a new generation of Arkies a bit to the right on the bell curve.

Maybe 100 years from now, they'll all be GS 13s, and Az will have his statue on the statehouse lawn.

Ha
OK, now you are scaring me.

Won't they all want their own statues?

- Will Rogers
Old 09-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #77

Quote:
If you want to show off with your spendiness, why bother with a Movado? *How about a Rolex, or even a real watch like a Breitling, Cartier, or Jaeger-Lecoulter?

A silver chain? *You might as well just wrap some tinfoil around your neck (at least it will match the helmet). *Even gold is, well, I'd best not say. *How about platinum?

Might not look so good with the tin can Honda, though.
You're missing the point, Brewer. Where i live, said watches would more than create the effect i want. Overkilling only accomplishes wasting money.

Regarding the Honda comment, the moment that honda is actually attached to me everywhere i might run into women, i'll begin to worry about it being something like a Beamer instead. Until them, I think i'll save the 15K or so to spend on something else. I'm not into the ole drive around town, and do the nod up thing with my head. I'm more a one-on-one person, out of the car, face-to-face. The car's safely hidden in the parking lot.

Azanon
Old 09-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #78

Quote:
What's the saying?* Oh yes: "@ssholes always advertise."
Am I the only one that recognizes Brewer is a jerk?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:00 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You're missing the point, Brewer.* Where i live, said watches would more than create the effect i want.* Overkilling only accomplishes wasting money.

Regarding the Honda comment, the moment that honda is actually attached to me everywhere i might run into women, i'll begin to worry about it being something like a Beamer instead.* Until them, I think i'll save the 15K or so to spend on something else.* I'm not into the ole drive around town, and do the nod up thing with my head.* I'm more a one-on-one person, out of the car, face-to-face.* *The car's safely hidden in the parking lot.*

Azanon
Sorry, I'm not accomplished at the whole would-be philanderer thing the way you clearly are. I defer to your expertise. I was making comments purely on the basis of the obnoxious displays of wealth I see on a daily basis.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #80

Quote:
Just hilarious. * I assure you my wife is very happy; i wouldnt have it any other way. *

Serial killer fashion it may or may not be, but I think i have a decent handle on what is attractive.