Clothes make the man

REWahoo! said:
I'm constantly amazed at the creative ways people on this forum come up with to cover healthcare and insure they don't run out of money...

I wouldn't be surprised if they figured out a way for me to pay for my long stay. (see, paranoid)

like so many others ... SCHIZOID ... but as is noted, and is worth noting again, "some of the smartest people in history were schizoid because they occupied a remote end of the intelligence bell curve. Schizotypal personality can encompass highly original thinkers as well as totally insane people ..."  yep, seems to cover most of those who post here.

back to the original issue ... i most often wear jeans, t-shirt & deckshoes.  when the temps fall, i add a chamois or wool shirt, wool socks and switch to boots.

d said:
back to the original issue ... i most often wear jeans, t-shirt & deckshoes.  when the temps fall, i add a chamois or wool shirt, wool socks and switch to boots.

Yeah, but as I am sure the "Ding Ding Daddy" (Az) is wondering: what kind of watch are you wearing? The serial killer kind or the gay kind?

polloloco said:
My SS watch was 10 dollars at Roses.
Armitron, who ever that is.

Ah, the serial killer kind.

Paranoid |||||||||||||||| 62% 49%
Schizoid |||||||||||||||| 66% 53%
Schizotypal |||| 14% 53%
Antisocial |||||| 26% 47%
Borderline |||||||||||| 46% 47%
Histrionic |||||| 22% 43%
Narcissistic |||||||||| 34% 41%
Avoidant |||||||||||||| 54% 39%
Dependent |||||||||||||| 54% 37%
Obsessive-Compulsive |||||| 30% 40%

Mostly accurate, although I thought I was more OCD than the test showed.

2Cor521

I've done a bunch of these for various "leadership retreats" over the years. What's really interesting is to do a "360" where others evaluate you on the same scale you used to evaluate yourself. The discrepancy between how we see ourselves and how others perceive us is often staggering (and helpful if viewed in the right light).

what kind of watch are you wearing?
... several years ago i stopped wearing a watch ... life has been so much more relaxing ever since.

I guess I am a little bit on the lack of empathy side myself.    If the DW dumps me or dies ahead of me, I will go with the Euro look since Azanon assures me it will help get me laid.  But no gold chains.

Ha, well i think having "A look" is important, but its a minor thing when compared to some other things like your attitude, confidence, and self-respect. "Euro's" just one approach. I think its more important that you just do something to look nice (be hot to them), than just being lazy about it. Make an effort and they'll notice it, and ya put them in the right mindframe.

I picked out a couple of nice Bulova Marine Star watches I like too - love that goth looking emblem and I saw some nice black ones with black leather straps (I dont like silver bands).  As far as Movado goes Brewer, they sell some more contemporary looking ones too.  With Movado, my aim is not to say "I'm gay" rather, I have money and I'm not afraid to spend it. Yes, i'm going to avoid the metrosexual looking ones like the plague since my demenor is extreme masculine (so i like to dress that way too).  Yeah, i'm not a big guy, but there's nothing about my demenor that's feminine.

I'm still mulling over a chain though.  I had a hot latino (cuban origin) women in Miami where i used to live that said she'd ignore a guy that had no necklace.   But yeah, I think "they" might like more bling bling than caucasians do.   So I dunno - bare neck vs a gold/silver chain.  hmmm, i haven't decided.

Azanon

d said:
... several years ago i stopped wearing a watch ... life has been so much more relaxing ever since. 

Agreed.  Getting close to ER, time (e.g. "what time is it") is less important.  In ER, I expect to "tell time" by the changing of the seasons (I live in NE US) rather than the movement of the minute/second hand...

- Ron

If i was buying a watch just to tell time, i'd just get a cheap timex.    I want a watch as a male jewelry piece, per the "clothes make the man" thread title.

We maybe need another thread for the personality tests.  I"d like to see some results from some of you other guys.   Take your time on the test;  i actually went back through it twice to "tweak" my answers so that i got the most accurate results.   

I guess with me, its pretty clear, i'm a combo Antisocial/Narcissistic personality disorder.  So go easy on me on my arrogant and heartless posts, because i have a medical condition and its part of who i am.

Azanon

Ron'Da said:
Agreed.  Getting close to ER, time (e.g. "what time is it") is less important.  In ER, I expect to "tell time" by the changing of the seasons (I live in NE US) rather than the movement of the minute/second hand...

- Ron

You may find, as I did, that it's not wearing the watch and knowing what time it is that is unpleasant, but rather what working life forces you to do with chronological information.  I find in ER my attitude towards time changed dramatically.  I still wear a watch, but use the information to help with things like knowing when to turn the ribs on the grill, coordinating meeting DW at the walking trail, getting to the theater before the play starts, etc.

Don't let the symbol of the wrist watch cover up what's really important.  Getting to FIRE is what's key!  After that, knowing what time it is probably won't bother you anymore.

FIRE, ususally not easy to get to, but damn well worth it! 

Azanon said:
We maybe need another thread for the personality tests. I"d like to see some results from some of you other guys. Take your time on the test; i actually went back through it twice to "tweak" my answers so that i got the most accurate results.
You are a narcissist so we can't trust your tweaks - you just want to make yourself look better ;)

I am late to the party, but what a thread!

When reading Azanon's posts, I am reminded of this from an old post of his:

Azanon said:
If my goal was to people please, there's a good chance i'd be one of your favorites here.   I'm known at work as a really nice guy.   I can be anything i want to be with the blink of an eye.  To use an analogy, in RL/work, i'm Garth Brooks.  On these boards, i'm Chris Gaines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Gaines

Azanon said:
Ha, well i think having "A look" is important, but its a minor thing when compared to some other things like your attitude, confidence, and self-respect.   "Euro's" just one approach.  I think its more important that you just do something to look nice (be hot to them), than just being lazy about it.  Make an effort and they'll notice it, and ya put them in the right mindframe.

I picked out a couple of nice Bulova Marine Star watches I like too - love that goth looking emblem and I saw some nice black ones with black leather straps (I dont like silver bands).  As far as Movado goes Brewer, they sell some more contemporary looking ones too.  With Movado, my aim is not to say "I'm gay" rather, I have money and I'm not afraid to spend it.  Yes, i'm going to avoid the metrosexual looking ones like the plague since my demenor is extreme masculine (so i like to dress that way too).  Yeah, i'm not a big guy, but there's nothing about my demenor that's feminine.

I'm still mulling over a chain though.  I had a hot latino (cuban origin) women in Miami where i used to live that said she'd ignore a guy that had no necklace.   But yeah, I think "they" might like more bling bling than caucasians do.   So I dunno - bare neck vs a gold/silver chain.  hmmm, i haven't decided.

Azanon

As a married man (with a kid), you just earned a new moniker: the Ding Dong Daddy.  See: http://lyrics.astraweb.com/display/...le_car..ding_dong_daddy_of_the_dcar_line.html

If you want to show off with your spendiness, why bother with a Movado?  How about a Rolex, or even a real watch like a Breitling, Cartier, or Jaeger-Lecoulter?

A silver chain?  You might as well just wrap some tinfoil around your neck (at least it will match the helmet).  Even gold is, well, I'd best not say.  How about platinum?

Might not look so good with the tin can Honda, though.

One thing you have to say for Azanon- he is not into polishing his image on this board. Give him an A for that.

Ha

HaHa said:
One thing you have to say for Azanon- he is not into polishing his image on this board. Give him an A for that.

Ha

What's the saying? Oh yes: "@ssholes always advertise."

Most days: I have about 300 T-shirts. Many of them were free. I pick the one on top and rotate the stacks as required. In the summer I wear shorts. In the winter, I wear jeans. When I go out, I add straw hat and sunglasses. Tennis shoes or hiking boots depending on where I'm going.

For professional and volunteer activities: White cotton dress shirt. Carefully selected Carhart jeans (ie. no paint splotches or stains). Newest tennis shoes.

For more formal activities: same as professional and volunteer activities but add sport jacket.

:)

Summer: shorts (denim usually), tees, polos, flip-flops or "running" shoes

Winter: jeans, rugby shirts, running shoes

Bad hair day: cap

Up here in Montreal, the French women are all pretty dressy. The lowest they'll go is a pair of tight, form-fitting jeans and a tight T-shirt. Otherwise, school is like a fashion show everyday. Thank god for the undergrad marketing department.

I don't know why everybody is jumping on Azanon for admitting he's a bit of a showboat. Heck, Saluki9 didn't get this much heat for admitting to performing body grooming for his (wife's?) pleasure.

I know what the "right" thing to say especially on an ER board is that it's the man and not the clothes. (Just goes to show you that every place eventually develops a dogma.) That may be great for you lucky ERs or married folks who no longer need to pay a lot of attention to your looks. After all, there is no WSJ article on the latest fashion for vision quests and for posting on ER forums. However, for us slaves who still need to run around in the world, we still need to maintain our outward appearance. It's one kind of the grease that eases our way.

If you don't believe me, then do you ever notice that when you're making a presentation, it doesn't hurt if you're dressed one notch above your normal day-to-day wear? Why is that? Why can't I show up in a T-shirt for interviews? A tie certainly constricts blood flow, making a stressful situation a lot more difficult to handle. It's because your employer wants to see if you're presentable when and if your work calls for you to be presentable even if your job calls for you to be a data monkey all day.

BunsOfVeal said:
I don't know why everybody is jumping on Azanon for admitting he's a bit of a showboat.

Because we can:confused:  ;)

BunsOfVeal said:
I don't know why everybody is jumping on Azanon for admitting he's a bit of a showboat. Heck, Saluki9 didn't get this much heat for admitting to performing body grooming for his (wife's?) pleasure.

Hmmm, maybe it is because he is so concerned with impressing women other than his wife with his serial killer fashion choices?

brewer12345 said:
Hmmm, maybe it is because he is so concerned with impressing women other than his wife with his serial killer fashion choices?

Hey, give him some space on this too- after all he is just trying to single-handedly and with no little sacrifice shove a new generation of Arkies a bit to the right on the bell curve.

Maybe 100 years from now, they'll all be GS 13s, and Az will have his statue on the statehouse lawn. :)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom