Clothes make the man

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This one is a little strange so feel free to recommend anti-psychotics... but I have been wondering what clothes ERs tend to wear. The question was prompted by a visit to the hardware store on Saturday. A woman walked in wearing an expensive looking pair of pants, a comparable blouse, and a mini-leather jacket thing. Then a guy came in wearing a nice pair of dockers, leather loafers, and a pretty nice polo shirt.

I have a fair amount of nice leasure clothes - I wear them when I teach (volunteer gig), go out to a nice restaurant, or other "civilized" activities. The other 90% of the time I wear shorts or jeans depending on the weather with T shirts, sweatshirts and the like. For some strange reason I feel uncomfortable "dressing up" to the dockers level unless I am doing something that "calls" for better dress.

Other people appear to feel more comfortable if they are better dressed regardless what they are doing. I sometimes think I "should" like to routinely dress better but it just doesn't feel right when I am sitting around doing nothing in particular.

What about you folks?

donheff said:
The other 90% of the time I wear shorts or jeans depending on the weather with T shirts, sweatshirts and the like.  For some strange reason I feel uncomfortable "dressing up" to the dockers level unless I am doing something that "calls" for better dress.

What about you folks?

I resemble your remark.

When I retire in a few months, it will be shorts and a golf or t-shirt. During our short winter it will be blue jeans. The dry cleaning bill will go away.  :)

Hmmm

Sometimes I'll dress up for yard work, errands, etc - cause that's what's clean and I'm too lazy to wash my 'good' shorts, cutoffs, T shirts until I'm in the mood.

Dress for weddings, funerals, and women - otherwise pretty casual and eclectic - what's in da closet. I do try to match socks.

heh heh heh heh

I absolutely love women, so I tend to not necessarily dress "nice" like one would for the office, but i dress for the manly/sexy look.   For instance, if i'm going around town, i might throw on a white tee with kackie (sp?) shorts, a nice leather belt, nice shoes, nice watch, and make sure i'm well groomed (recent haircut, hair long on top, messy but not messy if that makes sense).  My beard 1-3 days old also looks cool. I'm getting a gold rope chain soon too just for a little bit of jewelry for my neck.

I've noticed when i get lazy and just have on, say, bluejean shorts and some boring shirt and running shoes, i just dont get noticed by the women.

Azanon

Only been RE for about ten weeks, so no RE wardrobe built up yet......  Closet is full of "business casual" stuff left over from working.   :(   At 50+ yo, well worn slacks feel/fit better than new bluejeans so I imagine it'll be a while before I buy a bunch of that kind of stuff.  I set aside a few better pants/shirts combos for "dressing up."  Everything else is religated to getting trashed working in the yard, etc.  This, of course, pending DW's success at her wish of emptying my closet to Good Will and replacing everything with the latest casual look from Bean's, Cabella's, Land End's, etc.!   :mad:

donheff said:
This one is a little strange so feel free to recommend anti-psychotics... but I have been wondering what clothes ERs tend to wear.  The question was prompted by a visit to the hardware store on Saturday.  A woman walked in wearing an expensive looking pair of pants, a comparable blouse, and a mini-leather jacket thing.  Then a guy came in wearing a nice pair of dockers, leather loafers, and a pretty nice polo shirt.

That's the European look.  They all dress up all the time.

I have a fair amount of nice leasure clothes - I wear them when I teach (volunteer gig), go out to a nice restaurant, or other "civilized" activities.  The other 90% of the time I wear shorts or jeans depending on the weather with T shirts, sweatshirts and the like.  For some strange reason I feel uncomfortable "dressing up" to the dockers level unless I am doing something that "calls" for better dress.

That's the American look.  More casual.

As long as you and your clothes are clean and untattered, it doesn't matter how you dress in the US.

When I go to Europe, I tend to dress more formal.  In the US, I tend to dress more casual.

It's interesting to see how people used to dress in the US a few decades ago.  If you look at some of the films of classic boxing matches from the 50s and 60s, you can see almost everyone dressed in shirts and ties.  People in Canada used to dress in shirts and ties to go to the hockey games as well.

In a way, I can see how dressing up can at least give the image of more self-respect.  Sometimes people treat you better when you are dressed better.  

donheff said:
T The other 90% of the time I wear shorts or jeans depending on the weather with T shirts, sweatshirts and the like.

What about you folks?

You mean shorts, jeans ect are not dressing up?

Bruce

In the WSj today - What designers are planning for 2007 - will it work in your neighborhood.... :confused:

img_427860_0_3c294c26d7a1910fc98493317a1e2d38.jpg
img_427860_1_cc4377f4b4e1fa5736b49b394dd991c0.jpg

http://nymag.com/fashion/fashionshows/2007/spring/main/newyork/menrunway/johnbartlett/index.html

REWahoo! said:
Pants? I don't need no stinkin' pants!!

I didn't know you lived in Austin. :D

My uniform of the day is T-shirt, shorts, sandals/running shoes and a pair of shades. I wish I could find some shorts that were equally suitable to the golf course and to the gym or running in the park - that way I could cut down on the variety in my closet.

When I was working I wore whatever the assignment called for. When I was the big boss I wore suits, when I worked investigating stolen cars I dressed in the cheapest stuff I could find so I wouldn't ruin good clothes when I had to crawl underneath a car, and when I worked drug deals I dressed according to how the bad guys dressed (varied between business casual and what I wear now) or whatever was needed that day (shorts and t-shirt for surveillance and BDU's for raids). Like many of the other posters I found that how you dress often dictates how people see you and respond to you. But, most days I don't care and wear what works for me.

When I want to dress up I wear an ascot with my polo shirt and shorts.

That way, people know that I am sophisticated ;)

For me it's gonna be what I wear now on the typical weekend - basic hobo, sometimes with a personal flourish like an unzipped fly. DW's eyes have rolled skyward so often I'm surprised they're not stuck there.

IntoTheMystic said:
In the WSj today - What designers are planning for 2007 - will it work in your neighborhood.... :confused:

Are those topsiders?!? :LOL:

Azanon said:
I've noticed when i get lazy and just have on, say, bluejean shorts and some boring shirt and running shoes, i just dont get noticed by the women.

I think I am destined to be a perputual traveling bachelor.
Shorts, a tshirt and flipflops and I still feel overdressed.

I think I am destined to be a perputual traveling bachelor.
Shorts, a tshirt and flipflops and I still feel overdressed.

Man it makes a difference.  I'm an attractive guy, but I've noticed that despite that, if i dress boring and blend in with, say, your typical walmart shopper, I get ignored anyway.

If you like being a bachelor, dont worry about it.  But if you want that woman (or, preferably, women plural), ya gotta accentuate!!  (heh, got that from the movie 40-year old virgin; great movie btw).

Saw a tee shirt on an old hiker I passed a few years back.

"Retired.  This tee shirt is as dressed up as I get."

The friend I was with asked him where he got it (Florida).  The retiree replied that people loved the shirt and everyone wanted one.  So much so, in fact, that he had thought about making and selling them himself.  

But then he thought, "Nahhhhhh.  That would mean I was WORKING again!"

Azanon said:
I'm an attractive guy, but I've noticed that despite that, if i dress boring and blend in with, say, your typical walmart shopper, I get ignored anyway... But if you want that woman (or, preferably, women plural), ya gotta accentuate!!

What's that word I'm looking for...

Paging Astro?

And humble, too

LOL. In the real world (read: not forums), I am "humble" because society requires it.

I didn't say it to brag though; bragging about something you're born with is very lame. It was essential to my point (being that you can even be attractive, and if you dress like s***, you won't likely get noticed).

Azanon

Humility is a little silly if you ask me. Even last night in that Debra Lafave interview, Matt asked her if she was attractive, she shrugged knowing darn well the answer, then he asked some follow up question to try to trap her on the point, and she finally admitted "yes, other people say that i am" or something like that.

For peeks sake, quit walking on eggshells, and just say the truth; yes, Matt, i am attractive. Are you blind?

Back
Top Bottom