Computer question: Why is my time/clock stopping?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Several times lately I have had to change the time on my computer clock in the gadgets section (so it shows on the screen saver). I never had this problem before. Does anyone know what is causing this? :confused:
It's bizzare as I haven't unplugged the computer or touched it in any way to have the time on the clock stop and show like 2 hours behind. Weird. What's happening?

There is a battery that powers the internal clock. If it's not keeping time, it may need to be replaced. You have to open up the computer to do that.

Is this problem on a laptop?

Not sure if I'm reading your question right, but yes, laptops have the coin batteries too. They aren't too hard to replace, but you'll need to find a Service Manual, or Hardware Maintenance Manual, for your product. The coin battery is attached to the motherboard, which is usually under the biggest panel under your laptop. Replacing it is easy, although you may have to pry it off. They glue them down sometimes. Look in the manual to be sure.

Not sure if I'm reading your question right, ...

Actually, I was asking OrchidFlower if the problem was with a laptop computer... as apposed to a desktop version. I know everyone jumped to that conclusion but I simply wanted confirmation before sticking my nose in.

Yes, it is a laptop. Does that make a difference, RonBoyd?
And computer not been unplugged, Ziggy29.
This has happened enough that I am getting concerned. And it always happens when I come back to the computer after some hours. Never happens while I'm using it.

Yes, it is a laptop. Does that make a difference, RonBoyd?
And computer not been unplugged, Ziggy29.

I was wondering along the same lines as Ziggy29's observation. Desktops rarely have a battery problem.

Anyway, if you click on the Time at the right bottom of your screen a window will open. Click on "Change date and time settings." What are the settings in the "Internet Time" tab?

I use 'time-a.nist.gov' and set to "automatically sychronize on a scheduled basis."

Confirm that your settings are similar, then we can go forward.

I was wondering along the same lines as Ziggy29's observation. Desktops rarely have a battery problem.

Anyway, if you click on the Time at the right bottom of your screen a window will open. Click on "Change date and time settings." What are the settings in the "Internet Time" tab?

I use 'time-a.nist.gov' and set to "automatically sychronize on a scheduled basis."

Confirm that your settings are similar, then we can go forward.

I think you need to ask which OS she's running. In XP you have to edit the registry setting.

I think you need to ask which OS she's running. In XP you have to edit the registry setting.

Hmmmm. My XP Machine has the same window (Date Time Properties) as the Vista and Windows 7 machines.

Anyway, I was just looking for a place to start the diagnostics. Any additional information should be useful.

Hmmmm. My XP Machine has the same window (Date Time Properties) as the Vista and Windows 7 machines.

Anyway, I was just looking for a place to start the diagnostics. Any additional information should be useful.
OK, my personal XP laptop has this. My work one that I checked first does not, and when I googled, the first hit I got showed how to do it via the registry. Either corp IT has turned this off or the image isn't as up to date as mine. So, never mind what I said.

Yes, is an XP.
RonBoyd, I cannot find that time-a.nist.gov thing at all. However, all is set to Central time US.
What's odd to me is that the clock works almost all the time, but, once in awhile--and only when I have put the computer on sleep and then return to the computer--the time jumps forward.

I think I may have figured it out, but we'll see: the time zone was somehow not correct.
Will be watching this for the next few days, and will let you know if the clock jumps forward again.

(Now I'm wondering how the time zone got screwed up? When did it happen?)

Yes, is an XP.
RonBoyd, I cannot find that time-a.nist.gov thing at all. However, all is set to Central time US.

Okay... now is the time to ask; what operating system are you using?

Since Windows 2000 (and perhaps before) the bar at the bottom of the screen has the time in the right side.

Time.JPG

In this case it is to the right of the sound icon.

If you click on that (the time) you will open a window that at the bottom has a link to "Change Date and Time Settings." This will open up this window:

Time 2.JPG (Doggone it. Not the right image -- although the correct window -- and I don't know how to edit this.)

If you click on the Internet Tab, you will open this window:

Time 3.JPG

If you click on "Change Settings": it will open this window:

Time 4.JPG

At "Server:" click on the down arrow. There will be a list of Time servers. Pick the one that is closest to you -- or simply try each to test.

Anyway, I am unsure that this will solve your problem but it will rule out the most common time problem.

And it always happens when I come back to the computer after some hours.

Another thought: You need to be connected to the Internet to have the time constantly updated. If the machine loses time while it is disconnected (asleep?), then it would be a battery/memory issue.

Uh, Win2K pro does not have the internet time sync feature. I use a program called "About Time" for time corrections.

It's an "undocumented" feature of the operating system.
:cool:

I'm very familiar with these, even with hugely expensive computers designed to run chemical plants :nonono:

We built and then commissioned a new plant that came on line last June. The computers that run it include 3 redundant pairs of controllers and ever since March last year we have had a pair lose redundancy and it takes 10 seconds to click on the controller icon and tell it to re-boot. It happens to all 3 pairs and it never fails to regain it's redundant status so why can't it attempt to re-establish without human intervention? Also no reason why the shaow computer drops out anyway. This has happened many, many times on all 3 pairs of controllers, and the manufacturer (a very large vendor, with 30+ years experience) just cannot seem to find out or why or fix it. It started happening again this week and a few weeks respite and it was thought the latest firmware upgrades had fixed the problem.

A little off topic, but it appears there's a Godmode capability in Windows 7 that also works in the 32 bit version of Vista. It's pretty cool. It allows you to control hundreds of administrator functions from a single folder (including clock functions). This isn't a joke, and it's easy to do.

Posted on ZDNet News: Jan 05, 2010 5:18:10 AM

Although its name suggests perhaps even grander capabilities, Windows enthusiasts are excited over the discovery of a hidden "GodMode" feature that lets users access all of the operating system's control panels from within a single folder.

To enter "GodMode," one need only create a new folder and then rename the folder to the following:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Users are able to have a single place to do everything from changing the look of the mouse pointer to making a new hard-drive partition.

The trick is also said to work in Windows Vista, although some are warning that although it works fine in 32-bit versions of Vista , it can cause 64-bit versions of that operating system to crash.

For more, read "Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode'" from CNET News.

Thanks, Ron, for the explanation, and I've done that each time the clock wasn't set right.
This is my 3rd computer with the last two being Dells. I have always put the computer on sleep or hibernate when I leave the room with each computer, and I have never ever had this problem before. It's not a big problem, but it is puzzling as to why it's even happening. It's just bizarre is all.
I'm using Vista, a Dell Inspiron 1525 and a 6 (or however you refer to it), so maybe that's why Dell doesn't like it either. Maybe a whole bunch of Dell Vista folks have had lots of problems, but I know they aren't keen on this model; and they have told me they've had lots of complaints about it. It's only a year old, so too early to replace it, too.

A little off topic, but it appears there's a Godmode capability in Windows 7 that also works in the 32 bit version of Vista. It's pretty cool. It allows you to control hundreds of administrator functions from a single folder (including clock functions). This isn't a joke, and it's easy to do.

Now that's impressive! Wow!

And if you drag the folder to the Start Menu, it will be at your fingertip at any time.

Back
Top Bottom