Custody/divorce

The arguments were heard, and nobody got special treatment, as all the feminine charms or wiles wouldn't work on that judge.

One thing that happened, at least with my case, was that a lot got decided BEFORE the actual hearing. On a number of occasions my lawyer told me to just shut up while my ex went on a rampage full of drama and lies about me.

It just about killed me not to jump up and try to disprove every lie. What they were actually doing was making her feel like she'd had a chance to be heard, before they ruled against her. It was all scripted in advance. Of course, by this time my case was pretty infamous around the courthouse, so it may have gotten more attention than most.

Custody evaluation sounds like a scam to me but if thats how it works I’d be real careful about who performed it.

It's basically a delaying tactic. The temporary order is almost always totally in favor of the woman, and the longer she can maintain that status quo the more likely she is to prevail in the end.

But you certainly do NOT want some entry-level attorney or social worker appointed as a guardian ad litem or evaluator.

On one particularly bad day in court, I could see they were going to recommend a GAL be appointed. They were batting around the names of some junior staffers at one of the local law firms. I demanded a GAL with a strong mental health background.

I found out later that the head judge in the family court for that county was married to a psychiatrist. She had attended all the court Christmas parties for many years and knew all the judges socially. My judge that day appointed her.

Also unbeknownst to any of us, early in her career, she had been the psychiatrist for the school district where - you're gonna love this - my ex went to elementary school! She later told me that my ex was notoriously unstable even then.

This lady had my ex's number from day one. And when my ex's young, state-appointed, idealistic, man-hating pit-bull of an attorney tried to disparage the GAL's character and credentials, it all backfired.

Divorce is a war nobody ever wins, but it's nice when a battle or two goes your way.

Agree. I paid child support plus all child related direct expenses. Our agreement had child support ending at age 22. Xwife went back to court to try to extend it till “all schooling was complete”. Judge said “ I don’t understand why he should pay child support (to Xwife) as well as generously picking up all the kids expenses”. I paid tuition, rent, bought her a car, and gave her a generous allowance. That was the first reasonable judgement I got, and the breakthrough that precipitated the final agreement.

My overriding approach to the divorce was “the kid comes first and only”. Worked out great, in the end. Have a wonderful relationship with my daughter.

Crikey! You are wonder dad! Really commendable, regardless of whether it was ordered or not.

Back
Top Bottom