Do you find that your mind cant keep up with Inflation?

Building a nice door from scratch might be craftsman labour but installing one certainly isn't.

Have someone run a hose against the door while you look on the inside where the water is coming in. Most times it's just a matter of replacing worn weather stripping or sometimes a sweep or threshold. Also check that the caulk on the trim/brick molding on the outside is still in good shape.

MusicLover, this leak is a hard one. You can spray water on the door all day and there's no leak. But if the rain and wind is blowing on the door, it will leak. The door itself doesn't leak, but water is somehow getting to the bottom left corner of the door and is getting inside the house there, and has rotted the flooring. A million different places it could be getting in. I need to find that million and first spot to caulk or tape up and I'll have it fixed! Just a matter of time. Don't want to get off the inflation topic, so will stop here.

Sounds like many of us [coughcheepscatescough] are doing our part against inflation by just saying "no". My contribution lately has been to refuse paying $500 per man hour to an HVAC outfit. I've got a new system delivered and it's mostly installed. I will pay maybe $500 - $700 to connect the refrigerant lines. Took the cost from $7,200 down to under $3K for the same hardware. Cheers to those of us that put elasticity into demand :)

Last Winter I tried to 'beat the system' a little bit, and turned off my heat pump during really cold snaps and used plug in radiators to heat my townhouse. My intent was to reduce wear and tear on the heat pump. Electric bill only went up about 10 to 20% or so. Well worth it to avoid a $5,000 to $7,000 expense for new heat pump installed, which includes sooooo much labor padding, as you know.

I have always carried high deductible. Our cars are now 10+ years and we'll be dropping everything but liability soon.

However, next car, I'm going to start with low deductible. We don't have "automatic glass coverage" in this state. It is just part of comprehensive. So, with a $1k deductible, I'm kind of SOL. Hearing about these expensive glass replacements on cars with vision has me convinced it may be time to Blow Some Dough and go with a lower deductible next car.

Comprehensive & collision can have different deductibles here.

I keep comprehensive with only a $100 deductible on vehicles even where I've dropped collision, since it's dirt cheap (averages ~$5/month on my older vehicles) compared to collision coverage.

Just used it to cover ~$3,000 of damages caused by a deer.

Sounds like many of us [coughcheepscatescough] are doing our part against inflation by just saying "no". My contribution lately has been to refuse paying $500 per man hour to an HVAC outfit. I've got a new system delivered and it's mostly installed. I will pay maybe $500 - $700 to connect the refrigerant lines. Took the cost from $7,200 down to under $3K for the same hardware. Cheers to those of us that put elasticity into demand :)
Well, seng, you hit the nail on the head. This exactly how markets work. For those who think central pricing is the answer (cough, cough, millennials) we have a wake up call for you. :)

I'm currently working on some siding repair, very small area. Got estimates of 2k, 5k and 6k. Yeah, I'm taking the 2k estimate. This is not rocket surgery. The others were clear high balls. Sorry, buds.

I pay extra for the oil at the local shop. They also dump out my 5 gallon used oil jug for free. I just move it from the trunk to just inside the front door. Not gonna shlep my 5 gallons a quarter mile though Wallmart.

I pay extra for the oil at the local shop. They also dump out my 5 gallon used oil jug for free. I just move it from the trunk to just inside the front door. Not gonna shlep my 5 gallons a quarter mile though Wallmart.
5 gallons fits in that bike in your avatar? :)

5 gallons:confused:?

Yeah, I bought one of those 5 gal "jerry cans" to pour the old drainings into. When it's full I take it to the place where I bought the oil and filters and they drain it into their tank.

No, I don't use the bike for that errand - :)

Yeah, I bought one of those 5 gal "jerry cans" to pour the old drainings into. When it's full I take it to the place where I bought the oil and filters and they drain it into their tank.

No, I don't use the bike for that errand - :)
:)

I actually use a 3 gallon gas container for the same, and take it to our dump/hazardous waste depot.

I don't use my bike either. :)

At dealer today, I declined:
Two license plate bulbs - $40 installed. Old style (non LED) bulbs $4.32 Amazon.
One cabin filter - $80 installed. $8.87 Amazon.

I did take the free engine they installed.

So a week ago Saturday we were visiting friends in a nice neighborhood and parked DW's 2017 CR-V on the street. Has all the bells & whistles including blind spot detection in the rear view mirror assembly.

Come out around 11p & the driver mirror is lying on ground intact, but split into about 20 segments. The colored back piece is also on ground. But frame around mirror is undamaged, so couldn't be hit & run. No one around. Clearly vandalism.

So went to Honda for replacement cost. Guess: a) $250, b) $500, c) $750, d) $1K
See below:

c) I'd predicted d) with the radar blind spot detection, but unbelievable enough. And of course we have $1K deductible insurance.
This is one reason i am not a big fan of the new sensing tech on autos. It SHOULD reduce accidents but sure does increase repair costs.

Back
Top Bottom