Dogs peeing on lawns

I doubt anyone is "responsible" for cleaning a trash bin, unless maybe the city/owner has requested that it be clean when it is returned to them.
Now, since people have varying standards of cleanliness they expect for these bins that they keep near their homes, that would be another reason for dog owners to avoid using a bin that is in a neighbor's custody (unless invited).

I clean my trash cans from time to time (and I own them). They get yucky, and I keep them in the garage (hot in summer). They look bad outdoors, and attract raccoons, etc. We can't have outbuilding in our subdivision, so that's not an option for me.

I don't want someone's dog poo added to the mix. Period. It's your (general 'your') dog, you deal with it. Even though I like dogs, one reason I don't own one is having to deal with all these things. I don't appreciate other people making their pet responsibilities my problem, when I don;t even own a pet.

-ERD50

Actually, in my town its not your trash can. Its municipal property.

You do things your way, I'll do things mine. It will all work out okay.

Incidentally, 20 years of putting trash in cans, no complaints-several thanks.

An empty can is not the same as a bag of dog poo (Reminds of an old joke about not sending someone to the store for a head of cabbage ;) ).

I actually would be a bit miffed at even an empty can being thrown into my trash can. It's my property, and I have to deal with cleaning it - just keep your mitts off! If it's got sugary residue it's gonna tract flies, and then maggots. Use your own darn trash can.

Maybe the empty can fits the de minimis definition, but an empty can isn't as bad as a bag of dog poo.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Over 170 posts on dog pee and dog poo...amazing.

Our dog won't per or poop in his backyard. He developed this weird habit when we moved to a smaller backyard. So we take him to either of our neighbors, who don't care at all.

When we settled on our ER home, dog-friendly was a big criterion. Some places, like Vero Beach, don't even allow dogs in public.

But not everyone is dog-friendly, of course, so we try to respect their opinions. A couple have little, don't pee signs in their yards. One lady came runnings out of there house when we were picking up our dog's business, asking us not to do that in the future.

I'll toss a bag in an outgoing trash can. My wife will toss in any trash can. We have one neighbor who offered her trash can to us. It's off the street, but still feels a little odd to me. Of course, she is a dog owner.

So definitely a spectrum of opinions. Best to modify your own behavior and reactions if you can. Otherwise, you may trigger some worse behavior from 1% of the people.

So while walking the dog (cue Aerosmith) today I came up with a question. The yards are starting to go dormant. Say in 2 or 3 weeks many/most will be all brown.

OK to pee? ;) :D

We have seen two guys pee in our neighborhood. That was worse[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

If I saw someone depositing a poop bag in my trash can, I would be extremely “pissed” and would likely have some unkind words for the offender. Luckily, our neighborhood has back door trash pickup. My trash cans are located behind a gate at the rear of my house. That’s where the trash guys pick it up. So, I’ve never seen this type of atrocious behavior. But, after reading all of these posts, I’m still having a hard time believing that some folks (maybe even a lot of them) think it’s no big deal!

If I saw someone depositing a poop bag in my trash can, I would be extremely “pissed” and would likely have some unkind words for the offender. Luckily, our neighborhood has back door trash pickup. My trash cans are located behind a gate at the rear of my house. That’s where the trash guys pick it up. So, I’ve never seen this type of atrocious behavior. But, after reading all of these posts, I’m still having a hard time believing that some folks (maybe even a lot of them) think it’s no big deal!

As I have an equally hard time believing people that leave their cans out would be upset when people use them.

When walking I pick up the odd drywall screw or nail and if it is trash pickup day toss them in unemptied cans. Figure it may save someone a bad morning. Also sometimes pick up paper trash and do the same thing - figure it improves the look of the street they live on. Deserted bags of dog crap I leave alone - a man has to have some limits.

What you want to do with a bag of dog poo is set it on fire on the neighbor's door step then ring the bell and run!

As I have an equally hard time believing people that leave their cans out would be upset when people use them.
Our trash gets picked up very early in the morning so most people put their cans out the night before.

It rarely happens in my subdivision, but it does annoy me when someone puts something in either my trash or recycling bin which is not acceptable to the private company that does the pick up. Examples are non recyclable items in the recycle bin or unwashed items or glass which they no longer accept. Also in the trash dog poop bags not in double bag or added to another larger bag of trash would not be acceptable. This, if I notice it, gives me an extra unappreciated re bagging job prior to pick up. Its just rude and inconsiderate.

Personally i consider such bins to be what they are, the private property of the collection company being loaned for use to the homeowner/renter, and would never put anything in anyone's bin but only in my own.

I would caution those who make this a habit, using others bins for convenience, to make sure they have the owners permission because some would not be as forgiving as I try to be. Also, you may not be as anonymous as you think in doing so as so many folks have cameras monitoring their property and its approaches.

There is no reason to sugar-coat it by saying "would likely have some harsh words." People who put random stuff - especially horrible stuff, like excrement - in other people's trash cans are violating those people's property rights. And don't say "Oh, but there's already trash in the can, what's the diff?" It's no better than going through someone's trash, with the excuse of "Oh, they were throwing it away anyway, so I figured nobody would mind."

Even worse is what happens on our street. We have weekly, morning trash pickup. Owners bring cans to the streetside, which is 750 feet away and cannot be seen from our house. We put cans out the night before, and bring them back the following afternoon. On several occasions, when we haven't immediately brought the emptied can back to our house, passersby have dumped stuff in it. Not always nice stuff. Then we're stuck with that trash until next week's pickup.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:!

Dogs pee for lots of reasons besides relief. Often it is to signal other dogs (whose scent they pick up) that they were there. A simple solution would be to get a large rock, or decorative post or lawn ornament strategically placed near the sidewalk. Surround that with decorative stone and let nature take her course. The dogs will preferentially pee on the rock where other dogs have done the same and likely leave your well groomed grass alone.

Unfortunate that you have the extra work to do, but being a good neighbor isn't always easy.

Good luck!

Dogs pee for lots of reasons besides relief. Often it is to signal other dogs (whose scent they pick up) that they were there. A simple solution would be to get a large rock, or decorative post or lawn ornament strategically placed near the sidewalk. Surround that with decorative stone and let nature take her course. The dogs will preferentially pee on the rock where other dogs have done the same and likely leave your well groomed grass alone.

Unfortunate that you have the extra work to do, but being a good neighbor isn't always easy.

Good luck!
Good idea, but the onus on the property owner. Serves them right for not welcoming all the dog presents.

I guess I'll do the experiment and just pee in the same spot in my yard for the rest of the summer. Here is the "Before" pic:

[...]
I'll make the dog pee in the same place, too.
All the rain this week has messed up my experiment. Things were going well as we had another dog that we were dog sitting and keeping at our house. The visiting dog was actually going to the spot I photographed every single time because it was closest to the back door. And my pooch marked right over it in a show of "Hey, I'm the alpha dog." Then I marked it myself.

I'll just say that the grass is all green and stop at that.

Back
Top Bottom