Garbage poll

Where do you store your trash and recycle containers?

• In a garage

Votes: 89 47.8%
  • Outside

Votes: 82 44.1%
  • Other

Votes: 15 8.1%

• Total voters
In the kitchen we have the trash and recycling pails hidden inside a kitchen cabinet. In the garage we also have a big recycling pail for bigger items. We bring the bags of stuff down our 700 foot driveway where we have our huge garbage and recycling pails for the garbage truck to pick up.

Wow!!!! That's amazing. Here, I'm scared of seeing a possum in the yard :eek:, and even rumors only go so far as possible alligators in the canals. I'd freak if I saw a bear or heard of lions out there.

I stepped on a possum on my way to the compost bin the other night. I put my foot down and something didn't feel right, so I stopped in my tracks and looked down. There was a possum laying on the ground, with his mouth and eyes open but stock still. I had stepped on his tail. I went around him and dumped the compost, and while I was doing that, he jumped up and ran away.

I stepped on a possum on my way to the compost bin the other night. I put my foot down and something didn't feel right, so I stopped in my tracks and looked down. There was a possum laying on the ground, with his mouth and eyes open but stock still. I had stepped on his tail. I went around him and dumped the compost, and while I was doing that, he jumped up and ran away.

:)

I know they "play possum", but as a genuine, bonafide, dyed-in-the-wool city girl, I find that logic goes out the window when I see a possum and they scare me half to death.

I mean, really, look at their eyes :eek: and you'll see what I mean. They look like crazed Martian rats, no doubt about it, and it's kind of unnerving to see a crazed Martian rat out there in my yard.... :LOL:

I mean, really, look at their eyes :eek: and you'll see what I mean. They look like crazed Martian rats, no doubt about it, and it's kind of unnerving to see a crazed Martian rat out there in my yard.... :LOL:

One morning when I was about eight years old I woke up with one in my bed.

On the way home from some outing, my father had accidentally run over one and injured it. Not wanting to leave it in the road to suffer and die, he brought it home to suffer and die. He made it a "bed" out of a cardboard box, put some rags in it for bedding, and naively assumed a normally nocturnal animal would stay there overnight. It didn't of course, and found my bed to be a better resting place.

One morning when I was about eight years old I woke up with one in my bed.

On the way home from some outing, my father had accidentally run over one and injured it. Not wanting to leave it in the road to suffer and die, he brought it home to suffer and die. He made it a "bed" out of a cardboard box, put some rags in it for bedding, and naively assumed a normally nocturnal animal would stay there overnight. It didn't of course, and found my bed to be a better resting place.

Not too many people can say they actually slept with a possum! :cool:

We are on acreage and would have to take our trash all the way down our driveway in the car, about 3/10 mile for curbside pickup.

So... and this started after the garbage people really upset my spouse by driving all over our property with their garbage truck and churning up mud etc.

We decided after we moved to our new house to take our own garbage to the recycling center/dump. We go once every two weeks, taking all household garbage and recycling. We compost everything we can. I keep three re-cycling boxes in my pantry - paper, glass/cans, plastics - very close at hand and things go in there immediately. The regular trash from my kitchen compacter is kept in a sealed plastic box in the garage. Large cardboard boxes are flattened and stored in the garage. We generate 2 small white plastic garbage bags per 2 weeks max. It costs me nothing to recycle and $3 a time for the 2 small garbage bags.

I reckon it saves us about $350/yr on the garbage pick-up fee, which is now more than $100 every three months. Better than recycled dryer sheets!

Back
Top Bottom