Garbage poll

Where do you store your trash and recycle containers?

• In a garage

Votes: 89 47.8%
  • Outside

Votes: 82 44.1%
  • Other

Votes: 15 8.1%

• Total voters
As kids we all wanted to be garbage men because they got to stand on the running board of the truck as it went down the street, hanging on with one hand...they were so incredibly cool doing that! (Mom was less impressed by my career decision announcement..."We'll see")

You too?

Not only riding on the running board, but getting to operate that humongous compactor (we called it a "crusher"). That was way cool!

My mother had about the same reaction to my future career choice as yours did.

You too?

My mother had about the same reaction to my future career choice as yours did.

Yes, and sadly I took another career path away from that just to please her. I'll never forgive her!

The other reason that our garbage/trash goes in the garage at home is because at certain times of the year it would attract bears if left outside.

Not to derail this thread, but I don't think anyone has mentioned trash compactors that are installed under the counter. We don't have one, but a condo we used to rent regularly did. We were slightly afraid of it, so never used it. I never quite understood the value of this appliance.

Not to derail this thread, but I don't think anyone has mentioned trash compactors that are installed under the counter. We don't have one, but a condo we used to rent regularly did. We were slightly afraid of it, so never used it. I never quite understood the value of this appliance.

Some places limit the number of bags you can put out, or charge hefty extra fees for over-the-limit bags of trash. That can make a compactor very valuable.

We had one in our old house... trash pickup was contracted and got to be over $30/month vs $4/bag.... so I bought the compactor used and for a family of 4 we usually had only a bag a week other than Christmas week.

Thinking about this thread - how far we have come environmentally. In the early 1960's, I don't remember our town having garbage pickup. I remember everyone burning garbage in 55 gal drums in their back yards. And dumping them at the "town dump" at the edge of town.

and a big pile of rusted, flattened tin cans.

Our garage is my workshop and there's no space inside for the garbage cans.

We keep our garbage and recycling cans on the back side of our garage. We don't have any issues with animals other than a random bear that comes through once every year or two. For a short time something kept getting into our garbage so I set up a trail camera for a few nights. I was surprised how much wildlife visits during the night.

Creatures of the Night

We keep our garbage and recycling cans on the back side of our garage. We don't have any issues with animals other than a random bear that comes through once every year or two. For a short time something kept getting into our garbage so I set up a trail camera for a few nights. I was surprised how much wildlife visits during the night.

Creatures of the Night

Like a creature super highway there.

Between my backyard shed and fence is a small cubby area that neatly fits my 3 cans, is out of sight from the curb, and also shields them from high winds.

Creatures of the Night

Cool - thanks for posting! We have lots of creatures also, but the bear deal would be too much for me to handle.

Cool - thanks for posting! We have lots of creatures also, but the bear deal would be too much for me to handle.

We also have bobcats, coyotes, and even a peacock that roams wild on our hill (someones pet gone rogue I assume). I've only seen the bobcat twice in the last 25+ years. We hear the coyotes every night but rarely see them.

The bears usually only show up in the fall when they're hunting for food to hibernate. I've never seen one in person.

I'm sure we probably have cougars roaming around too, but have never seen them either.

The wildlife is one of the things we love most about living out here.

We also have bobcats, coyotes, and even a peacock that roams wild on our hill (someones pet gone rogue I assume). I've only seen the bobcat twice in the last 25+ years. We hear the coyotes every night but rarely see them.

The bears usually only show up in the fall when they're hunting for food to hibernate. I've never seen one in person.

I'm sure we probably have cougars roaming around too, but have never seen them either.

We love seeing the wildlife crossing from one conservatory to another through our backyard. Note we do not live in a rural area.
It includes, bobcats, armadillos, lots of deer, turtles and one time a Florida panther.

Garbage Outside

I voted other, because I keep garbage outside where belongs & recyclable in the garage.

Our garage is my workshop and there's no space inside for the garbage cans...

Same here. The garage is my woodworking shop. There's no room to store trash or roll bins around. And the garage door is bolted shut for security.

We have a side door and small porch near the driveway. We keep the trash and recycling bins there so they are out of sight from the street, easily accessible from the house, and easy to roll to the street on trash day.

Garbage = hidden behind 2nd car outside bc people keep putting their dog poop in it if visible
Yard waste = next to it
Recycling = there too EXCEPT I have an additional plastic box just inside garage. Transfer as it fills up

We get this cutie a few times yearly. He's a Teddy Graham.

The second photo is our bear proof trashcan. Works great as long as you lock both sides![emoji12] They'll knock it over but give up quickly.

We had a lion in the neighbor's back yard last month. First one I've ever seen. We don't go out in the woods without a 10mm after that. You probably have them too.

When I lived in the KC area the conservation department said there were none in MO! Any that were seen, had to be a release of an illegal animal. Until one was hit north of the city on an interstate. It was a young male whose DNA traced back to South Dakota. He'd been living in a highway locked area for several years and eventually went out looking for love when he was hit. 50.jpeg20181031_132625.jpeg

Wish my neighbor had one. They have three 90 gallon garbage containers that seem to sit next to the street way too much.

We get this cutie a few times yearly. He's a Teddy Graham.

The second photo is our bear proof trashcan. Works great as long as you lock both sides![emoji12] They'll knock it over but give up quickly.

We had a lion in the neighbor's back yard last month. First one I've ever seen. We don't go out in the woods without a 10mm after that. You probably have them too.

When I lived in the KC area the conservation department said there were none in MO! Any that were seen, had to be a release of an illegal animal. Until one was hit north of the city on an interstate. It was a young male whose DNA traced back to South Dakota. He'd been living in a highway locked area for several years and eventually went out looking for love when he was hit.
Wow!!!! That's amazing. Here, I'm scared of seeing a possum in the yard :eek:, and even rumors only go so far as possible alligators in the canals. I'd freak if I saw a bear or heard of lions out there.

I'd prefer outside, but we have them inside the garage.

Otherwise, the critters (big and small) come out of the woods at night and spread the garbage all over. :(

Back
Top Bottom