Garbage poll

Where do you store your trash and recycle containers?

• In a garage

Votes: 89 47.8%
  • Outside

Votes: 82 44.1%
  • Other

Votes: 15 8.1%

• Total voters
I am in a townhouse . I kept the garbage can(empty) in my laundry room indoors. I bought a smaller plastic can that is half sized.I only put the garbage in it after I take the can outside and then take out the garbage sack to the can. (stairs)
If my HOA goes to a new service with the huge cans I will have to keep it out back and roll it to the front. No good place to put those with the cars parked in front.

We have a four car garage. Back in the 30's my grandparents converted the last bay into a home for their monkeys (don't ask...eccentric people).

We now use it as a storage area for trash bins, yard tools etc.

Stinky trash like food remnants....I put in freezer. Keep a plastic bag in freezer and add to it as I prepare a meal. It allows me to keep other trash indoors without any odor. Don't have to put trash out very often for pickup (though we have 6 days a week service). Recyclables we keep in a large pantry until full.

The freezing method works for us as it's only the 2 of us and I only make one meal a day at home. And I rarely buy anything in bulk to freeze so it's never crowded in there.

I thought you were kidding about making a garbage poll. Here's my post from the other thread:

Garage space is too valuable to put the hurby curbies in there. I think our neighborhood has a rule about taking them in from the street, but I'm not sure if there's any rule about being visible from the street...ours are not, most are not.

Originally, the trash was outside the back door, but ants liked it, and would then wander in the kitchen, so it's now about 75 feet away near the lot line. The recycling is outside the back door. We have a few of the old red recycling bins in the garage, so we can drop stuff into it by just opening the door from the kitchen.

I thought you were kidding about making a garbage poll.

Not kidding. I’m going to use the results of this poll to convince DW that I can store the garbage container outside. I used to be worried about critters. But I have doubts that critters can get into one of these 90 gallon cans.

I said "outside", but almost voted "other", because (as I mentioned in the original thread) I usually have them next to our garage, but hook a bungee cord to the rain spout on the corner of the garage and run that through the handle of one can and hook it on the handle of the other. I recently came home to find them shifted, but before I used the bungee cord I found them tipped over a couple of times on windy days.

Of course, if I know there's a high wind or hurricane warning I'll put them in the garage, but we don't go in there much, so getting the remote and remembering to put it back is more of a hassle. The bungee cord literally takes me 2-3 seconds to remove or replace.

Current house we keep in garage. Last house we kept in the driveway by the door. Food that might smell, we sometimes keep in the freezer until trash day.

Not kidding. I’m going to use the results of this poll to convince DW that I can store the garbage container outside. I used to be worried about critters. But I have doubts that critters can get into one of these 90 gallon cans.
I agree; I don't think that critters can get into them. They are so big and heavy! We have lots of critters around here; dogs, cats, possums, raccoons, rats, squirrels, red foxes, nutria, alligators, and rumors of coyotes which I have not personally seen. But, I have never seen evidence of any critters getting into trash cans.

Sometimes the wind blows them over and down the street, though, spreading their contents all down the street. What a pain in the neck that must be.

Also I suppose someone could steal a trash container left outside. Don't ask me why! But some people will steal anything that isn't nailed down.

Our garbage can and recyclables can are in our side yard - shared access for the tenants in our granny flat and ourselves. (The side yard is separate from our backyard and how the tenants enter/exit the casita.)

The green waste can moves around the backyard as we do various yard work... Right now it's under a palm tree that DH has been removing the dead fronds from.

We also have a small, covered, compost bucket under our kitchen sink, that gets dumped daily into the larger compost bin on the other side of our house... It later goes to the veggie beds as soil augmentation.

I agree with the poster who said the garage space is too valuable for putting the big cans in. We have cars and tools in our garage.... no room for the big trash cans.

At both homes, trash and recycling containers are in a kitchen cabinet . At home, trash and recycling then goes into the garage, and then I take it to the recycling center . . . . usually on Saturdays. In Florida, trash and recycling goes into the bins and the trucks come around and pick them up.

Garbage....
On Elder Street where I grew up, the Garbage container was a galvanized can with a close fitting cover that hung on the front corner of the 3 car garage, in the back yard. Our world, at the time was very protective of the garbage. Only select items went into the garbage, and it was inconceivable that anything other than edible items would be put there. The Garbage Man wore a leather shoulder protector, and had carried a large container on his back, into which he dumped the garbage from the can. He then poured it into the back of the garbage truck, (which stank), and brought it to local farms, where it would be ground up and served to the pigs as food.
We would no more put inedibles into the garbage than we would eat them ourselves.
It was in the 1940's, and forever before then. During the war, it was patriotic, but just the norm, and we knew nothing else.
Everyone was very careful to keep the garbage cans closed tightly because of the smell and the bugs. The bottoms of the garbage cans were inevitably covered with white mealworms... just nature at work.

We keep it in the garage. Sometimes there are odors but better in the garage than inside. Also the HOA does require that trash cans be concealed (except of course on collection days) preferably in the garage but not required.

At the old house with no garage they were kept by the back porch concealed behind a large bush.

Garage. The HOA police would come get us if we did otherwise. We can't even put them at the curb before 6.

Growing up we had separate trash and garbage collection. The garbage was pretty awful. Mixing it in with regular trash is much better.
My in-laws in CA are limited to about 60 gallons of waste per week. Everything gets compressed and If it doesn’t all fit in the can they hold it till next week, negotiate with a neighbor that has excess room, or pay extra. I think it’s about $15 per bag

Recycle is in the garage for convenience.
Garbage is outside.

Both large wheeled containers.

Have a 64 gallon can with a lid that we keep out behind the barn . Once a week we take it to the dump . They charge us 2.02 .
DW spent her career in the garbage business so she is like Jada on the Walking Dead , loves dumps and trash.

Garbage....
On Elder Street where I grew up, the Garbage container was a galvanized can with a close fitting cover that hung on the front corner of the 3 car garage, in the back yard. Our world, at the time was very protective of the garbage. Only select items went into the garbage, and it was inconceivable that anything other than edible items would be put there. The Garbage Man wore a leather shoulder protector, and had carried a large container on his back, into which he dumped the garbage from the can. He then poured it into the back of the garbage truck, (which stank), and brought it to local farms, where it would be ground up and served to the pigs as food.
We would no more put inedibles into the garbage than we would eat them ourselves.
It was in the 1940's, and forever before then. During the war, it was patriotic, but just the norm, and we knew nothing else.
Everyone was very careful to keep the garbage cans closed tightly because of the smell and the bugs. The bottoms of the garbage cans were inevitably covered with white mealworms... just nature at work.

I remember that! Our food garbage went into a can that was buried at ground level in the back of the yard. The city garbage man would come each week, pull the can up out of the ground and carry it to the truck. He had a big leather sheath on his hip. Remember the worms too.

As kids we all wanted to be garbage men because they got to stand on the running board of the truck as it went down the street, hanging on with one hand...they were so incredibly cool doing that! (Mom was less impressed by my career decision announcement..."We'll see")

Then it got even cooler: At one point we ended up with rats hanging around the can! Dad got his .22 rifle and from the kitchen window dispatched about 5 of them! He'd probably go to jail for that now, but at the time....even more coolness.

Then came garbage disposals and all the cool stuff went away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom