Garbage poll

Where do you store your trash and recycle containers?

• In a garage

Votes: 89 47.8%
  • Outside

Votes: 82 44.1%
  • Other

Votes: 15 8.1%

• Total voters
Ours is just outside the door on the street side of our side entry garage. They aren't visible from the road. No need to worry about odors during the hot summer months.

Many HOA's, including where I live, require that your trash containers be out of sight. Most in my neighborhood keep it in the garage, some behind a wall.

Many HOA's, including where I live, require that your trash containers be out of sight. Most in my neighborhood keep it in the garage, some behind a wall.

Our snowbird condo HOA requires that they be stored in the garage, and can only be out at the curb for narrow period of time for pickup. I think at the curb is limited to between 5pm the night before pickup to 5 pm the day of pickup.

I voted Other, which really means all of the above.

We have 3 cans. Yard waste is in the side yard behind a gate. Recycling can is in the garage close to the door into the house for easy access for items too big for the kitchen recycling can. Garbage can is also in the garage, but close to the overhead door for ventilation.

Keep garbage in the garage until the morning of pickup. It would be nice to leave it at the curb overnight on collection day, but we have too many critters. I’d rather get up early and put the garbage out than wake up later and clean up the garbage that got strewn about over night. I’m thinking about a metal can and a way to lock the top so I can get it out of the garage. I collection day, we still can just put a bag out and the pick it up by hand so I’d still probably get up early and just pull the bag and set it out. That way, I still wouldn’t need to retrieve the can after collection.

enjoying the garage service thread. Just curious where people store their trash and recycle containers.
I keep mine in my detached garage.

Even though my trash container is the extremely big, heavy type on wheels, high winds will blow it right down the driveway. This is why I don't keep it outside. I got tired of retrieving it.

But luckily, I have a very large two car garage, and only one car, so there is plenty of room for it in there. I thought of having a trash can enclosure built outside, but this seems to be working ok.

I kept my recycle container inside the garage for several years as it was easier to get to if I wanted to throw in a few items. And I thought the container might stay cleaner that way. I also rinsed out all my recycle bottles and cans before putting them in the recycle container to keep it from smelling. But my cat sitter started throwing empty but unwashed, stinky cat food cans in. Now the container does not smell so good anyway and over time my garage got more cluttered with junk and I bought a larger car. So the recycle container is outside with the trash container on the side of the house.

No HOA in our subdivision. People keep the containers by the side of their home.

My mother and my brothers living a few miles away have to keep the trash containers behind the side gates and out of view per HOA regulations.

+1, same here. Most people have them in the garage but some have them on the side or back of their homes concealed by bushes. Ours are in the garage, never had an odor issue in 40+ years.

Behind the garage, as is common in my neighborhood.

Keep garbage in the garage until the morning of pickup. It would be nice to leave it at the curb overnight on collection day, but we have too many critters. I’d rather get up early and put the garbage out than wake up later and clean up the garbage that got strewn about over night. I’m thinking about a metal can and a way to lock the top so I can get it out of the garage. I collection day, we still can just put a bag out and the pick it up by hand so I’d still probably get up early and just pull the bag and set it out. That way, I still wouldn’t need to retrieve the can after collection.

+1

Family next door is so wrapped tight. Two large containers left in the street several days after pickup. Eventually they move containers 20 feet to side of house, and place plastic fence around to hide the blight.
LOL

Behind the garage, as is common in my neighborhood.

Mine are behind the garage also. We have an attached garage but the side door opens behind the garage, rather than directly into the garage, so having the cans by the door makes for easy use.

Outside, side yard, behind a fence so it's not visible. Despite plenty of critters around here never been an issue.

Outside, our HOA doesn't care of it's visible. I keep the trash in the garage until trash day. Otherwise I have to unlock and relock the bear locks for every bag.

Too many bears around here to keep anything outside, you have to keep the garage door closed at all times too or they'll get in there too.

Voted other. Our condo has a garbage chute where all garbage drops to a dumpster in a trash room. Recycling gets taken there.

Our house has garbage cans inside a cedar cabinet on the side of the garage. The company we use empties from there, no dragging anything anywhere.

I had a roommate who grew up in the south. He taught me about freezing the garbage until trash day. It made eating more interesting.

Too much active wildlife for us to store containers outdoors, so they live in the garage until collection day. The hot summers in Florida make for some interesting garage based aromatic emanations, so we need to be careful with what goes into the garbage before collection day.

I had a roommate who grew up in the south. He taught me about freezing the garbage until trash day. It made eating more interesting.
We do this with some things.

We store our's in the barn until we take it to the transfer station a couple of times a month.

In cans in our carport. We keep then tightly covered to keep local critters (small ones) and insects out. Fortunately we do not generate a lot of non-recyclable trash these days so the can is rarely more than half full. For the recyclable stuff, if it cannot fit in that can, we will keep it inside until the night before our recyclables are picked up.

Back
Top Bottom