Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I need to get a new car!
Old 05-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #21

Quote:
The first two years we had the car, it was flawless, and the ride is still great. When we bought it, it was the consumer reports #1 car, breaking the hammerlock honda/toyota had on that spot for half a decade. We though it was a no lose.
You have to be a bit careful when you read the reliability reports. Most are only after 1 year of ownership. These are the studies that American Auto makers point to when they say they are catching up with the Hondas and Toyotas. It's after 5 years old that the Japenese makes are still trouncing the American and German Makes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2005, 12:32 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My sister and BIL have a now 9 yr old Honda like that - used to die or not not start mysteriously - usually in hot weather - once at our house. Dealers never could find anything broke to fix. Runs fine now that they've moved to greater Seattle/Kent.

It also ran great in Vermont when they first bought it. Didn't like Ohio, Kentucky or La in summer/city driving.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

The car obviously had good taste.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:12 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

For lots of room, smooth riding, easy maintenance, and above average rating from Consumers Report, the Chev Impala is the Zipper's choice.

We have a 2003 and have had no problems.

The 2006's in the fall are getting a major re-work.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately, many german makes have gone severely downhill in the last 3 years. I wonder if the 'unification' has anything to do with that. Mercedes management types were quoted saying they had cut their quality control costs to the bone as they felt "the quality was baked into the processes and the people at this point". Their plunge from top 5 to bottom 5 in reliability suggests a little further baking was warranted.

My dad had a passat, and it was a piece of crap too. He finally got rid of it when some engine control dingy died at 40k miles for a $900 cost after he spent over a grand on some fairly pedestrian maintenance that would have cost a lot less on most cars.

In the toyota and honda model lines, you'll find a few that share quite a bit of engineering with the lexus and acura's. The camry and mid-rage lexus lines share a lot. The avalon and larger lexus' also do. A honda pilot and Acura MDX are quite close in heritage with the pilot costing a lot less. Look for those model parallels, buy a loaded camry or avalon vs an ES300 or LS430, save a bundle. Of course, you dont get the extra $10-15k 'cachet'.

Sounds like you like the sporty sedan? Check out the newer Infiniti Q45's, since they went from the 'american' styling to the more streamlined teardrop shape in 2002. Nice, 340hp, reliable, and frequently very inexpensive for the type of car. And the dealers kiss your behind. Or a Camry Solara convertible? An Acura 3.5RL? You can find 3 year old Q45's and 3.5RL's with 20-40k miles on them from the low 20's to the mid 30's; they're in the 50-60k range new.

The solara isnt an expensive car and holds it value, has a good resale too. The Q45 and 3.5RL will be cheap to buy but there isnt a big resale market, so its not a good car to own for 2-3 years and then sell; they're own until they die car.

The "anything japanese' idea falls a little short too...many Mazda and Mitsubishi models have terrible relibility ratings, although I owned an Isuzu Trooper and a Mazda Miata and had no problems with them at all.

As a last comment, dont buy that '3000 mile oil change' thing. That was a marketing constuction created and propogated by Jiffy Lube to double their revenues. Modern motor oil and its additive packages doesnt START breaking down until at least 5000 miles, and most quality oils in most engines in most applications will still be very viable through the manufacturers 6000-7500 mile recommendation. "Its cheap insurance" sounds good, but you're doubling the amount of dirty oil that needs to be recycled. Obviously some applications like diesel engines, turbo's, extensive towing, lots of very short trips, and very high heat opeation might want to make you shorten the oil change times, but I dont think you're going to help yourself much by changing your oil faster than the owners manual tells you to.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:46 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

You know what's crazy? VW sent me out a letter stating "if this happens to you, we may help you....or not". Ends up if the engine basically blows up wtih a $5000 repair cost if you don't change the oil every 5000 miles with full synthetic. "some customers say they have experienced this problem despite having followed our maintenence plan. If this has happened to you, please bring proof of every oil change for the life of your car and you may be eligible for the work to be done for free." .......nice. Good thing I have all those reciepts....oh wait.

So, this dumbing down of quality is why Mercedes are so cheap? We looked all over the spectrum, and just in my area MB has about two dozen c230 sedans "certified pre-owned" with maybe 35k miles on it for ~20k. Sounds like a great deal, right? But I don't want another lemon!

The infiniti Q45 is a bit rich for my blood, but the G35 might work. I dunno, my local mechanic thinks he can get my needed part for $150-200 refurbed, that doesn't sting too bad. Maybe we'll stick with running this thing into the ground after all. My temper has cooled.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to live in Germany for a few years. Most of the people I worked with drove a VW, a BMW, or Mercedes. ALL those people ever talk about is what their car is in the shop for! After a while it became like some funny TV stereo-type about Germans. Like Liederhosen, beersteins, and Koo-Koo Clocks. Every conversation was about their busted cars which they didn't consider busted. They considered it normal stuff that you have to do if you own a car.

The other popular cars there were Opals and Mitsubishis. Those people never had their there cars in the shop
Old 05-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #28

I bought my Camry early 92. Although I haven't used it much the last 4 years, I have over 103k so far. I have been real happy with it. No major repairs except necessary maintenance. I plan to keep it for another 5 to 10 years.

Regarding oil change, the last 4 years, I averaged about 2k to 3k a year, do I still change the oil after 3k or 4 k. I have read somewhere that it is advisable to change regular oil at least every 3 months even if you rarely drive your car.
This this true?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #29

My 95 Chev Lumina is getting close to 200 K and needs a few odds and ends. Still very road worthy. My friends 96 Camray with 165 K is in better shape but not a lot. A coworkers 93 Accord is in the graveyard with 230 K and many dollars of repairs on it. The winner among these is hard to tell. Regular maintenance on all. MY buddies 98 Windstar is another horror story. Know a couple of VW Horror stories as well.

Bruce
Old 05-24-2005, 08:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz
Every conversation was about their busted cars which they didn't consider busted. They considered it normal stuff that you have to do if you own a car.
I wonder if it could have anything to do with driving 100 miles an hour all the time? That has to be a little tough on the old beast...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
I bought my Camry early 92. Although I haven't used it much the last 4 years, I have over 103k so far. I have been real happy with it. No major repairs except necessary maintenance. I plan to keep it for another 5 to 10 years.

Regarding oil change, the last 4 years, I averaged about 2k to 3k a year, do I still change the oil after 3k or 4 k. I have read somewhere that it is advisable to change regular oil at least every 3 months even if you rarely drive your car.
This this true?
Yeah, it's a good idea even if you do little driving. Bad stuff still builds up.

JG
Old 05-24-2005, 09:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Every conversation was about their busted cars which they didn't consider busted. They considered it normal stuff that you have to do if you own a car.

Besides all those Opals and Mistubishis made the same trips without falling apart or shaking loose or gulping oil or needing some new part twice amonth
Old 05-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #33

Yeah John, "bad stuff" can build up!

It's best to keep the seminal fluids changed regularly.

Manually, orally, traditionally or professionally.*
Old 05-25-2005, 02:12 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Nope. Oil is fine in the car for up to a year if you drive it at least 10-15 miles at least once a month. As long as the engine reaches full operating temperature for a good 10-15 minutes, a year is no problem.

The oil change outfits, the companies that make oil and oil filters, stuff that was true 50-100 years ago, and old wives tales sure have made for some interesting myths around car maintenance...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by You dont know me
Nope.* Oil is fine in the car for up to a year if you drive it at least 10-15 miles at least once a month.* As long as the engine reaches full operating temperature for a good 10-15 minutes, a year is no problem.

The oil change outfits, the companies that make oil and oil filters, stuff that was true 50-100 years ago, and old wives tales sure have made for some interesting myths around car maintenance...
I think our "in disguise" friend is wrong about this (and some other stuff)
Anyway, too lazy to check and no one much cares anyway.........

JG
Old 05-25-2005, 07:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Yeah John, "bad stuff" can build up!

It's best to keep the seminal fluids changed regularly.

Manually, orally, traditionally or professionally.*
Alas, my fluids don't get serviced quite so often any more.
Others mileage may vary

JG
Old 05-25-2005, 07:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Say... she got the car about 1.2 years ago too... where did you say you lived?
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
What are you proposing, that he buy another VW? *Whether it's 1-2% or 3-4% it still seems that his lemon odds are halved by going with just about anything else...
It all comes down to priorities, Nords. *If one doesn't mind having a car that looks like everyone else's, by all means get a honda accord or toyota camry. *Very dependable cars, great quality, and reasonably priced.* *They're also about as unique as a penny.* *

My approach is what I said; *i'm of the opinion that virtually all cars (except i still have some bias against certain American brands, like pontiac) are reliable enough today, that reliablility is not a significant reason to avoid certain cars. * Opinions being what they are, I think the classiest looking cars are the european ones, be it bmw, volvo, vw, or some others i'm forgetting. * *IMO, VWs have the highest quality interiors (from an aesthetic stanpoint) in that price range of all cars, and their outside body styles are also very unique (granted, I realy dont much care for the new jetta's look). * *The other thing i like about VWs is you get a car with a build quality very close to BMW but without the massive price tag (meaning, great interior design, and classy, taunt looking outside build).

I love my jetta diesel. * Gets 44mpg on the highway despite being an automatic, the engine feels strong cause it has a lot of torque, and it isnt very loud compared to older type diesels. *

I'm also of the opinion (not talking about laurence per se) that many of peoples' so called "unreliable" cars are cars they didn't take care of. * *Perhaps I'm just lucky with cars. *But for the record, I think my lack of problems has a lot to do with me taking good care of my automobiles.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:29 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I repeat - my doughnut shop buddy - has a business(only semi retired) that puts 50k miles per yr on his vehicles - uses full synthetic and changes filers only. Swears by it. The retired motor pool cat says the Army got the same pitch but suck with regular oil/changes. It's the acid baby.

I change at 3000 miles on the beaters and with the oil change indicator on the Silverado(time at temp?).
Old 05-25-2005, 09:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Perhaps I'm just lucky with cars.
Yes, I've decided that even though a model is, on average, a very reliable car, you can be unlucky.* We bought our Echo and Tacoma based on reliability.* But the Tacoma just needed a valve job at 120K and the Echo's transmission had to be replaced just 2,000 miles after the warranty expired (Toyota still payed half).

Concerning Oil Changes

I don't want to start a big oil-change-frequency debate, but my Toyota owner's manuals recommend oil changes every 7,500 miles unless you pull a trailor or drive in hot dusty conditions. Of course the dealer still gives a sticker for the next oil change in 3,000 miles. I don't trust the dealer, but I go with every 5,000 miles. What do you think?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:45 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

With the oil change talk , I want to emphasize, my friends and I who have VW's have not had engine related problems. Turns over first time for 5 years running. It's everything else that has fallen apart. There is no ruitine maintenence for having door handles bust off or the overhead light switch falling off in your hand or the drivers side window falling down into the door or the plastic peeling or abs controllers failing or airbags failing for no reason and needing replacement etc. etc.

It's got 80k on it, and I bet it could go another 80k no problem, but why am I paying for premium gas to drive what feels like a piece of sh**? Conversely, my Jeep Grand Cherokee is a dream, feels so well made, never has anything go wrong with it, and maintenence is cheap. Plus it has power leather seats, power everything, and plenty of horses under the hood. Maybe we would just consider the Passat's issues normal if we didn't have the Jeep to compare it to.

T-Al, I change my oil every 5k, it's what my manual says, so I bet you'd be fine with 7500. They wouldn't give you a recommendation that didn't err on the side of caution.