I need to get a new car!

th said:
Hmm...a better option than giving the employee discount might be to call the dealerships and tell them to stop putting "extra dealer markup" stickers on all the halfway desirable vehicles.

I remember when I bought my expedition, all of them had "extra dealer markup - $8000" stickers on them.  I laughed at the sales guy and said "So...does the guy who puts those on have to wear a mask and carry a gun?  And is that 'bennie hill' music playing in the background?".

He didnt get it.

Yep, there are some stupid people going in and bidding up the price.... if there were not, the price would go down quickly.

Now you can ge $5,000 to $8,000 off, because they are not longer 'in demand'....

Isn't capitalism great!!

You could do that then too. I think mine was $28k and had a $35k price tag 'after additional dealer markup'. I got it for about 23K.

Well it was in december of 1999.

However, I leave sales managers whimpering in my wake. Last time I bought a car they trotted out one of the owners kids to work on me. When the finance manager got the paperwork he wanted the kid to come in and initial the pricing as he couldnt believe she agreed to it.

Now you have to admit that you could have gotten a similarly good price without having to go to a dealership, right? You just enjoy the bloodsport, admit it! ;)

Actually I do. The best part is the first moment when they realize that I'm not a bumbling, indecisive, malleable idiot.

I did have my best luck once buying my girlfriends mother a car over the phone; she lives in another state. I got her about 4k off the list on a loaded camry, $2500 for her rustbucket 12 year old thunderbird in trade, and had the salesman drop the car off at her house and pick up the trade-in.

Well, I have the opposite experience of most of you. My first car was a Honda Civic, and it sucked a valve at about $50,000 miles. I went through countless throttle cables...finally got tired of messing with it, and bought a full size Ford van (1981). I drove the Ford (300 straight six) until 1997, and sold it to my brother...who still has it; it is still going strong, and to my knowledge has had no major work.

th said:
Well it was in december of 1999.

However, I leave sales managers whimpering in my wake.  Last time I bought a car they trotted out one of the owners kids to work on me.  When the finance manager got the paperwork he wanted the kid to come in and initial the pricing as he couldnt believe she agreed to it.

I love to negotiate car deals or most anything. After I bought my last Cadillac,
the main sales guy said "The next time I buy a car I'm taking you with me!"

:)

JG

They say that when they've picked your pocket but want you to feel like you got a deal ;)

They just glare at me when I'm leaving like they know I stole their dog but they cant prove it.

O.K., so we looked around at the local dealers today, trying to find a nice used, near luxury sedan to replace the satanmobile. First we hit Mercedes Benz (I know, but you gotta dream sometimes) and the sales guy was probably the best I've ever experienced. Low key, talked about his baby and cooed over ours, real classy and understated pitch, I told my DW later I didn't even feel the knife go in as he worked us over to the cars. He actually got us away from the C classes, looking at a used E class with 30k on it for exactly $30,000 (who does that? Aren't all prices mandated to end in "999"?). We chatted a bit further and left feeling pretty good. Went to the infiniti dealer next, this guy was good, but a little more obviously slick, silk shirt, gold bracelet and fossil watch etc. They had some used G35's for 25-30k, still a little much for what we want to spend, he kept it brief and we moved on. So now we are getting excited that if we keep looking we'll find the one we want.

We go to the Acura dealer and head over to the used lot. A painfully thin kid comes out, had to be his first week. Clothes to big, no undershirt under white dress shirt, missed several spots shaving etc. Had some TLs there for ~23k, and they had a C320 Mercedes for 22k with only 30k miles on it. But it had orange interior - that must knock the blue book down on it a grand alone. So we went to walk away, and he starts in with "used cars are like fingerprints, you're never going to find this exact car again!" I mumble, "thank God -I mean, THANK YOU!" :D :mad:

We're done. We've lost the taste for spending money. There was a day we would have had the E class in the driveway right now. We are hitting Lexus this afternoon, then were going to wait until the end of the year and try again.

....maybe we'll just get a Hyundai. :)

Laurance,

You have to remember why you are looking at buying another car. The Passat. Right? reliability issues.

What the heck were you doing at the Mercedes Place. Another German make? :confused:

I know, that was just a visit to fantasy land. As far as the Lexus goes, it was the best experience by FAR. The dealer had a slew of ES300's released from their courtesy fleet. The one we test drove only had 30k miles on it, leather power wood trim everything, all the features, wonderful ride etc.

But it's 27k, that's a lot of jack. We are going to think about it. But if we go with anything, it's lexus at this point.

We've got a Lexus rx300 and a Toyota Prius (hybrid). I almost always drive the Prius: average 50 mpg, every tech gizmo available (eg voice controls, nav, engine op display, steering wheel mounted controls and switches, all-around airbag protection, hatch, accepts a rack for kayaks and sailboards).
The Lexus drives as though on silk. However, the "routine" service is where one gets hammered; I go for the minimum of that to keep the longer than average warranty in effect but, while there last week, being the cheap bastard I am, I had 3 v-8's from the nice stash of free snacks and drinks they keep on hand in the nicely appointed waiting area.

Laurence said:
But it's 27k, that's a lot of jack.  We are going to think about it.  But if we go with anything, it's lexus at this point.
If you must have a Lexus, can you do it from the classified ads & eBay Motors?  I wonder if there's a significant price difference.

windsurf said:
I almost always drive the Prius: average 50 mpg, every tech gizmo available (eg voice controls, nav, engine op display, steering wheel mounted controls and switches, all-around airbag protection, hatch, accepts a rack for kayaks and sailboards).
Windsurf, have you had this problem with the combustion engine stalling?

[Windsurf, have you had this problem with the combustion engine stalling?

Nope; my understanding is that it is 33 reports and that there is a cpu fix. There have been  a couple of campaigns and a free nav upgrade.  Just about the same room inside as a Camry and lots of zip.  The car is very nice to drive.  Last winter, vehicle stability control probably saved my life on an interstate bridge when I hit a patch of black ice with a semi passing me on the right. 

windsurf said:
Nope; my understanding is that it is 33 reports and that there is a cpu fix. There have been a couple of campaigns and a free nav upgrade. 
Sounds like a Windows OS... or the original Intel Pentium?

Nords said:
or the original Intel Pentium?

Heyyyyyyyyyyy!

mercedes has had one of the worst reliability records over the past 5 years. The construction fit and finish has also plunged. I've owned older ones and liked them. Wouldnt touch one right now.

th said:
Heyyyyyyyyyyy!
I sure hope you weren't the sales/marketing* guy that initially stonewalled the Pentium customer's complaints!

*Sales or marketing-- sorry, I don't have enough knowledge or experience to distinguish the difference. I don't mean to be accusing you of being whichever one is deemed to be worse...

The Mercedes did feel very poorly put together. All squeaks and wobbles with the seats and doors. I was very unimpressed. The Lexus ES300 kicked all competitors a**es in my opinion.

DW gets an annual bonus, usually around November. We are thinking of waiting until then. We may wait later still, just run this thing into the ground. As annoying as 1000 dollars in unexpected repairs is per year, it's still not as expensive as upgraded to another car.

But unless there is a dramatic change, we know the next car is a Lexus.

Nords said:
I sure hope you weren't the sales/marketing* guy that initially stonewalled the Pentium customer's complaints!

*Sales or marketing-- sorry, I don't have enough knowledge or experience to distinguish the difference. I don't mean to be accusing you of being whichever one is deemed to be worse...

Uhh...no...I was nowhere near that mess. I was in IT at the time screwing something else up.

My first thought was to tell people exactly how miniscule the problem was and then in the same breath tell them that they were welcome to take theirs out and send it in for a new one. We'd have had about 400 of them actually show up.

The difference between sales and marketing: the marketing guy knows when he's lying.

The difference between sales and marketing: the marketing guy knows when he's lying

When I was in the software business. It used to be the difference between a used car salesman and a software salesman.

And of course, the Car Salesman knew when when he was lying. :D

Nords said:
*Sales or marketing-- sorry, I don't have enough knowledge or experience to distinguish the difference.
The difference, by definition, is Marketing defines new products/services, establishes pricing, develop market strategies/campaigns/promotion, identifies target customers, provides sales training, etc. Sales carry out the strategies developed by Marketing. The focus is on making the sales target.

I can distill it further. Marketing creates the bullshit. Sales slings it. Part of the marketing bullshit makes people want to be slung at by a sales person. Perfect marketing makes someone want to pay extra for the pleasure of having extra slinging done to them, then tell all their friends what they paid for the slinging, after which the friends will be excessively jealous.

Back
Top Bottom