I need to get a new car!

I think you spelled it out well YDKM, but just to clarify:

I'm driving a vw with a turbo engine, and they say my warranty would be voided if I didn't use synthetic oil. This is a case where the temp does get high enough to break down regular oil before the detergents run out, yes? I think you already said that, just checking.

Probably more to do with the film strength of the base oil than anything.

Do what the car manufacturer says. However, i'm skeptical that synthetic will really do anything beneficial in short oil change applications.

Of course, we're talking about people who engineered the fuel pump in my BMW to require removing the drive shaft and exhaust system to replace it...

You dont know me said:
Of course, we're talking about people who engineered the fuel pump in my BMW to require removing the drive shaft and exhaust system to replace it...

Sounds like the alternator in a Ford Contour.  CV shaft and Exhaust had to come out and it was still a PITA

Bruce

You dont know me said:
John...I'm wrong but you're too lazy to prove it?  Well, that sure sums up the experience...opinionated in a non-informational manner ::)

synthetic oils are essentially a waste of money. 

Well, you forgot, maybe because of where you live, but if you live somewhere where it gets really cold (UP of Michigan? Duluth and the like) then you want synthetic in the winter. Starting is so much bettter than not starting.

yakers, although now warm in Pasadena, CA, grew up in Chicago and has relatives in northern Canada.

Just test drove a 97 Corrolla. It's great, and we're buying it. It has plenty of power, handles well, is inexpensive, and gets 30-35 mpg. It's also in excellent condition -- a rare find for a car around here.

JB said:
Just test drove a 97 Corrolla.  It's great, and we're buying it.  It has plenty of power, handles well, is inexpensive, and gets 30-35 mpg.  It's also in excellent condition -- a rare find for a car around here.

I have a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram. It has plenty of power (snap your neck man) :), handles well and was inexpensive. Excellent condition! Sucks gas like there is no tomorrow. But I haul and tow, etc. It's nice for that
and satisfies my testosterone requirements.

JG

Trucks never go out of style. Alas, the commute requires something a little better at the pump. We're officially shopping, but it usually takes us six months to make a decision this big.

What I find amusing is the media focus on gas milage - instead of total life cycle costs. Take the cost of 'your new vehicle pick' vs 10 -20 yr old big Detroit Iron with a seat belt. You could probably get good transport for less than the cost of a new airbag and buy a lot of $5/gal gas with the money saved.

unclemick2 said:
What I find amusing is the media focus on gas milage - instead of total life cycle costs. Take the cost of 'your new vehicle pick' vs 10 -20 yr old big Detroit Iron with a seat belt. You could probably get good transport for less than the cost of a new airbag and buy a lot of $5/gal gas with the money saved.

unclemick..................."You da man!" I doubt I ever met a more
sensible liberal. Kudos!

JG

First car, two year old saab 900. Drove for almost 13 years, 90% city driving. Due to driving habits, had to change brake pads about every two years. Otherwise, changed synthetic oil about every year and a half. About 11 y into it, key would sometimes get stuck in the ignition. Probably because of 11 y accumulation of crumbs, but a little WD40 did the trick. Brother still driving the car. But didn't like the saab test drive when looking for a replacement car.

MRGALT2U said:
I have a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram. It has plenty of power (snap your neck man) :), handles well and was inexpensive. Excellent condition! Sucks gas like there is no tomorrow. But I haul and tow, etc. It's nice for that
and satisfies my testosterone requirements.
That balances my vision of you driving the Miata. Did you ever notice the cute boys waving and winking at you when you're driving on a sunny day with the top down?

unclemick - Most Americans can't do basic math. Taking the cost difference between a hybrid and a normal engine, and comparing to the cost savings in fuel is way outside of their ability.

yakers said:
Well, you forgot, maybe because of where you live, but if you live somewhere where it gets really cold (UP of Michigan? Duluth and the like) then you want synthetic in the winter. Starting is so much bettter than not starting.

yakers, although now warm in Pasadena, CA, grew up in Chicago and has relatives in northern Canada.

32 years living in boston is still fresh in my mind. My old Mercedes 300td without an engine heater (a worst case if there ever was one) started just fine at 20 below zero with 5w30 in the crankcase. Synthetic doesnt necessarily flow any differently than plain old oil at the same flow rates.

Scraping the 1/4 inch sheet of ice off the car before driving away was a lot more troubling... :p

Just keep the car running. Where I was in Alaska, we kept the trucks running 24/7 from Oct/Nov to March. Only diesel trucks, gasoline would freeze in the tank. Build a fire under the engine if it did get turned off accidentally - works better than a blockheater.

vic said:
Build a fire under the engine if it did get turned off accidentally - works better than a blockheater.

Girl, that is 'core.

Ha

I am new to the forum so if I screw up the post please forgive me.
I am 55 yrs old- first car at 21. I have owned Buick,
Pontiac, Cadillac, Ford. I bought American for
"patriotic" reasons - keep Americans working!
I paid the price. Nothing but trouble.
In 1985 I switched to Honda- (Civic for me and Accord for the wife) never any troubles. Current automoblies are
1994 Lexus ES300 (55k)-- bought used in '98
1998 Honda Acord (70k)
Great cars-no problems and I do the maintainence religiously.
I plan to run them for another 5 years.

Hope this helps.

Paully said:
I am new to the forum so if I screw up the post please forgive me.
I am 55 yrs old- first car at 21. I have owned Buick,
Pontiac, Cadillac, Ford. I bought American for
"patriotic" reasons - keep Americans working!
I paid the price. Nothing but trouble. 
In 1985 I switched to Honda- (Civic for me and Accord for the wife) never any troubles. Current automoblies are
1994 Lexus ES300 (55k)-- bought used in '98
1998 Honda Acord  (70k)
Great cars-no problems and I do the maintainence religiously.
I plan to run them for another 5 years.

Hope this helps.

Well , this confirms my experience. Japanese cars have been
very trouble free for me. OTOH, I presently own none.
Not sure why exactly, except I am a very aggressive price shopper.
Of course, I often have bought cheap and been disappointed.
(Don't ask about my latest lawn tractor) :)

JG

I have a bought new 1999 Chevy Silverado which lately has been trying to convince me to buy Toyota - via A/C and unplanned rear brake problems requiring fixing.

OTOH - I've got this (free) 1994 GMC Sonoma pickup with 240,000 miles that just won't die as my daily driver. 5 speed, 4 banger, rusty fender, Maypop tires bought used at the junkyard - I wear my best Dickies coveralls - chain the dog in back - my kind of frugal.

Durn women are talking SUV. Harumphhh! Buying new was bad enough.

Unfortunately you get the "american discount" at both ends. You get to buy cheaper, but you get a lot less when you sell.

I used to fall for that false economy until I got tired of having my ass kicked at resale. I remember being shocked at a friend selling his old toyota pickup truck for more than he originally paid for it, 7 years later.

In my corner of the Midwest, talking to folks about what new car to buy tends to get this: "Oh, we only buy Ford/GM/Chrysler because grandparent/parent/parent-in law works for them and we get the discount"

Personally, I'm leaning toward a Camry (I have no family who works for the Big Three, LOL!) I'd consider a Hyundai, but I'm still worried about reliability past the 2 or 3 year mark.

Hyundai's had some good reliability records the last few years.

Problem you'd have there is on resale. If you're going to drive it into the ground it doesnt matter. If you sell in 4 years and get 50% of your OPP rather than 65-70, its worth the extra few dollars to go toyota/honda.

The American cars are not as bad as they once were... but I still will not buy a Ford because of how they screwed me back in the 80s... the car had a design defect and it would stall when it got hot... paid lots of money to try and fix, new tranny etc. etc.. they finally lost a lawsuit and gave a $500 credit for a new Ford ::)

But, I own a '95 Monte Carlo and it has been pretty good... it has eaten a couple of alternators, but nothing else except normal maintenance for 10 years.

Why I am posting... I just read that GM is going to give the employee discount for all vehicles soon!!! They want to 'clear out' inventory. So, not a bad thing is you do not mind a GM.

What I heard yesterday was that the employee discount would result in prices "4 to 5 percent below dealer invoice". I can get that deal any time.

Texas Proud said:
Why I am posting... I just read that GM is going to give the employee discount for all vehicles soon!!!  They want to 'clear out' inventory.  So, not a bad thing is you do not mind a GM.
"You built it with our specs at your standards, and now we're gonna see if you're willing to drive your families in one!"

Hmm...a better option than giving the employee discount might be to call the dealerships and tell them to stop putting "extra dealer markup" stickers on all the halfway desirable vehicles.

I remember when I bought my expedition, all of them had "extra dealer markup - $8000" stickers on them. I laughed at the sales guy and said "So...does the guy who puts those on have to wear a mask and carry a gun? And is that 'bennie hill' music playing in the background?".

He didnt get it.

Back
Top Bottom