Join Early Retirement Today

Inflating car tires
Old 11-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Inflating car tires

My car informed me of low tire pressure yesterday. I checked, and indeed, it's only 25-28 psi in all 4 tires. There is one local gas station. Their air pump is broken. The next closest is the one near work. Their air pump is broken. So now I am going to have to travel to more distant stations...hoping they have an air pump that works and isn't blocked by garage customers' cars.

So, what do y'all do? Is there a reliable car-tire inflator for home use?

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Frank has one. I think he got it at Autozone? Anyway, that's what we use. I don't really know what brand or type it is but I'm sure some other people will post about brands and types.

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a 30 gallon compressor in my garage, with a 50' hose. I use it to power my impact tools and fill tires.

I also have a twin portable compressor, and a 1.5 gallon lightweight compressor.

I would buy a 1.5 gallon compressor if you use it much at all.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have a little compressor I bought at autozone or something
Old 11-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have a 1.5-HP compressor at each of my two homes to run air tools. I also carry a portable 12V compressor in my car, and it is strong enough to pump up my RV tires (80 psi) while on the road.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I had a small Sears tire inflator/compressor that served us well for 20 years or so, but it finally broke a few years ago. I bought a $30 cheapo at Autozone, but it died almost immediately. So I use the free air compressor at a local gas station, and intend to continue. Where I live (population only about 29K), I can always find a mini-mart/gas station with an air compressor. I gather you live in a remote area if there are no others nearby.

If you do buy one, a decent one will probably cost you closer to $100. Best of luck...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I still have an inexpensive Sears compressor that has been working well for ~ 20 years. I do have a moisture filter on it that has been changed once or twice. If that fails, I have a bicycle pump that could be used in a pinch.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I also carry a portable 12V compressor in my car, and it is strong enough to pump up my RV tires (80 psi) while on the road.
+1
I've carried one of these in my car for years. Great little gadget, takes up hardly any room in the trunk, and hasn't failed me yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Hausbell-Port...833523&sr=1-14
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

General International 3 Gal. 1/3 HP Oil-Free Portable Electric Hot Dog Air Compressor-AC1200 - The Home Depot

mine is about like that one
Old 11-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #10

There are a large number of tire inflators out there that run on 12 volts. I suggest carrying one in the car at all times. (After all a lot of new cars come only with an inflator and sealant kit, no spare tire)
In some cases the inflator can pump a tire with a slow leak enough to get to a tire store also.
One thing to be aware of is that typically in the fall you need to add air as the temperture goes down to keep the pressure up.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #11

Oh yes, by all means, get a good compressor. I have a small 2 gallon model in the garage attached to a 25 foot air hose with quick disconnects to fit a blow gun and a tire chuck.

Trust me, old people need this. You could get a heart attack from pumping a car tire with a hand pump. And then there are the motorcycles whose tires lose air at least 5 times faster than car tires and proper inflation is much more important.

If my air compressor dies getting another one would be priority one.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I carry a bicycle tire pump in each car all the time.
Its easy to use, does not rely on the battery and having the wires reach the tire, so I can use it for things like trailer tire, friends tire, spare tire, etc.
It was cheap ($10) and is super reliable.

It is similar to this example

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

If I used that bicycle pump to inflate one of my RV or truck tires I'd want to invest in a good defibrillator, too. A 12v compressor is probably a lot less expensive...

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
My car informed me of low tire pressure yesterday. I checked, and indeed, it's only 25-28 psi in all 4 tires. There is one local gas station. Their air pump is broken. The next closest is the one near work. Their air pump is broken. So now I am going to have to travel to more distant stations...hoping they have an air pump that works and isn't blocked by garage customers' cars.

So, what do y'all do? Is there a reliable car-tire inflator for home use?

Amethyst
My Chevrolet's tire was incredibly low one day and I happened to see a ford dealership. The mechanics were happy to fill it up while unloading joke after joke pertaining to the reasons I ended up at the Ford dealership.

Green Slime air compressor will get your tire aired up in a pinch. The bigger the compressor, the faster it fills usually.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

If my air compressor dies getting another one would be priority one.
First thing I did when I bought my new home was run a compressor and hose reel so I don't even have to think about it anymore.

Turn on, pull hose, fill tires. It gets REALLY cold up here in Minnesota winters and its nice to be in the garage out of the elements rather than at a service station in the snow.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

You can go to any tire store and get it filled up...

I have never heard of one charging for this service...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Since your car "told" you the tires are low, you may need to reset the system once you have them inflated. That is what our 2015 Audi requires. Check the manual.
user5027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #18

I buy my tires from Townfair tire and when the gauges in both cars signal low pressure I go there and they inflate them free of charge.

They also rotate, balance and repair roadside hazards (assuming repairable) for free.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
There are a large number of tire inflators out there that run on 12 volts. I suggest carrying one in the car at all times. (After all a lot of new cars come only with an inflator and sealant kit, no spare tire)
In some cases the inflator can pump a tire with a slow leak enough to get to a tire store also.
One thing to be aware of is that typically in the fall you need to add air as the temperture goes down to keep the pressure up.
+1

We have a 12V compressor in every car in the family. More than once, one of us has had a slow leak (picked up a nail), and the small pump gets you on the road again, safely, so you can deal with it at home, or drive to a tire shop.

Far better than the inconvenience/cost of waiting for a repair truck, or the inconvenience, and getting dirty changing it to the spare, which can also be dangerous.

Cheap, convenient insurance, and a large compressor at home won't help you away from home.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by user5027 View Post
Since your car "told" you the tires are low, you may need to reset the system once you have them inflated. That is what our 2015 Audi requires. Check the manual.
I'll also add that you should be checking them, and topping off before your system tells you.

Now, do I always do that? Hmmmm, OK, do as I say, not as I do! It's for your own good.

-ERD50

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automotive, inflating tires, tire pressure, tires