Inflating car tires

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My car informed me of low tire pressure yesterday. I checked, and indeed, it's only 25-28 psi in all 4 tires. There is one local gas station. Their air pump is broken. The next closest is the one near work. Their air pump is broken. So now I am going to have to travel to more distant stations...hoping they have an air pump that works and isn't blocked by garage customers' cars.

So, what do y'all do? Is there a reliable car-tire inflator for home use?

Amethyst

Yes, Frank has one. I think he got it at Autozone? Anyway, that's what we use. I don't really know what brand or type it is but I'm sure some other people will post about brands and types.

I have a 30 gallon compressor in my garage, with a 50' hose. I use it to power my impact tools and fill tires.

I also have a twin portable compressor, and a 1.5 gallon lightweight compressor.

I would buy a 1.5 gallon compressor if you use it much at all.

I have a little compressor I bought at autozone or something

I have a 1.5-HP compressor at each of my two homes to run air tools. I also carry a portable 12V compressor in my car, and it is strong enough to pump up my RV tires (80 psi) while on the road.

I had a small Sears tire inflator/compressor that served us well for 20 years or so, but it finally broke a few years ago. I bought a $30 cheapo at Autozone, but it died almost immediately. So I use the free air compressor at a local gas station, and intend to continue. Where I live (population only about 29K), I can always find a mini-mart/gas station with an air compressor. I gather you live in a remote area if there are no others nearby.

If you do buy one, a decent one will probably cost you closer to $100. Best of luck...

I still have an inexpensive Sears compressor that has been working well for ~ 20 years. I do have a moisture filter on it that has been changed once or twice. If that fails, I have a bicycle pump that could be used in a pinch.

There are a large number of tire inflators out there that run on 12 volts. I suggest carrying one in the car at all times. (After all a lot of new cars come only with an inflator and sealant kit, no spare tire)
In some cases the inflator can pump a tire with a slow leak enough to get to a tire store also.
One thing to be aware of is that typically in the fall you need to add air as the temperture goes down to keep the pressure up.

Oh yes, by all means, get a good compressor. I have a small 2 gallon model in the garage attached to a 25 foot air hose with quick disconnects to fit a blow gun and a tire chuck.

Trust me, old people need this. You could get a heart attack from pumping a car tire with a hand pump. And then there are the motorcycles whose tires lose air at least 5 times faster than car tires and proper inflation is much more important.

If my air compressor dies getting another one would be priority one.

I carry a bicycle tire pump in each car all the time.
Its easy to use, does not rely on the battery and having the wires reach the tire, so I can use it for things like trailer tire, friends tire, spare tire, etc.
It was cheap ($10) and is super reliable.

It is similar to this example

k2-_0f897792-2ef7-4a4a-b5ea-67dba504c140.v1.jpg-2e689fcd375ebae4c2702861d04e590838d853e2-optim-450x450.jpg

If I used that bicycle pump to inflate one of my RV or truck tires I'd want to invest in a good defibrillator, too. A 12v compressor is probably a lot less expensive...

My car informed me of low tire pressure yesterday. I checked, and indeed, it's only 25-28 psi in all 4 tires. There is one local gas station. Their air pump is broken. The next closest is the one near work. Their air pump is broken. So now I am going to have to travel to more distant stations...hoping they have an air pump that works and isn't blocked by garage customers' cars.

So, what do y'all do? Is there a reliable car-tire inflator for home use?

Amethyst
My Chevrolet's tire was incredibly low one day and I happened to see a ford dealership. The mechanics were happy to fill it up while unloading joke after joke pertaining to the reasons I ended up at the Ford dealership.

Green Slime air compressor will get your tire aired up in a pinch. The bigger the compressor, the faster it fills usually.

If my air compressor dies getting another one would be priority one.
First thing I did when I bought my new home was run a compressor and hose reel so I don't even have to think about it anymore.

Turn on, pull hose, fill tires. It gets REALLY cold up here in Minnesota winters and its nice to be in the garage out of the elements rather than at a service station in the snow.

You can go to any tire store and get it filled up...

I have never heard of one charging for this service...

Since your car "told" you the tires are low, you may need to reset the system once you have them inflated. That is what our 2015 Audi requires. Check the manual.

I buy my tires from Townfair tire and when the gauges in both cars signal low pressure I go there and they inflate them free of charge.

They also rotate, balance and repair roadside hazards (assuming repairable) for free.

There are a large number of tire inflators out there that run on 12 volts. I suggest carrying one in the car at all times. (After all a lot of new cars come only with an inflator and sealant kit, no spare tire)
In some cases the inflator can pump a tire with a slow leak enough to get to a tire store also.
One thing to be aware of is that typically in the fall you need to add air as the temperture goes down to keep the pressure up.

+1

We have a 12V compressor in every car in the family. More than once, one of us has had a slow leak (picked up a nail), and the small pump gets you on the road again, safely, so you can deal with it at home, or drive to a tire shop.

Far better than the inconvenience/cost of waiting for a repair truck, or the inconvenience, and getting dirty changing it to the spare, which can also be dangerous.

Cheap, convenient insurance, and a large compressor at home won't help you away from home.

-ERD50

Since your car "told" you the tires are low, you may need to reset the system once you have them inflated. That is what our 2015 Audi requires. Check the manual.

I'll also add that you should be checking them, and topping off before your system tells you.

Now, do I always do that? Hmmmm, OK, do as I say, not as I do! It's for your own good.

-ERD50

+1
I've carried one of these in my car for years. Great little gadget, takes up hardly any room in the trunk, and hasn't failed me yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Hausbell-Por...wer-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1479833523&sr=1-14

+2: A tiny, crummy, noisy little compressor that runs from the cigarette lighter is a must in every trunk. They are normally less than $20 at a place like Harbor freight. They aren't fast (it may take 2-3 minutes to go from 25-30 PSI in a typical tire), but they are always where you need them and can be more convenient than trying to find a gas station with a pump. When you get a >real< flat and find that the donut spare is at 10 PSI, having that little compressor in the trunk is super handy.

BTW: At self-serve stations with a coin-operated air pump, ask at the counter if use of the pump is free with gasoline purchase. It is at Kroger stores where I am--they just flip a switch in the booth and you are good to go.

My complaint: Tire pressure gauges. The cold weather causes tire pressures to get low and the "low pressure" light to come on, but some cars don't even tell you which tire is low. And I own 4 gauges and none of them appears to be very accurate, or at least they don't agree with the "smart" senders in my tires, or with each other. I've spent from $2 to $15 and still haven't found a reliable one. I'd prefer to avoid anything that needs a battery.

Last edited:
+2: A tiny, crummy, noisy little compressor that runs from the cigarette lighter is a must in every trunk. They are normally less than $20 at a place like Harbor freight. They aren't fast (it may take 2-3 minutes to go from 25-30 PSI in a typical tire), but they are always where you need them and can be more convenient than trying to find a gas station with a pump. When you get a >real< flat and find that the donut spare is at 10 PSI, having that little compressor in the trunk is super handy...
For emergency use, these cheapo ones may be all you need. Spending a bit more, around $60+, will get you a nice beefier one which comes in a nice carrying case with accessories, lasts longer, and can pump high-pressure tires on trucks and RVs. I bought mine at Walmart. People without a 12V inflator should get one for themselves for Christmas.

Last edited:
If you have a full size spare, check the pressure. Each time I had a low pressure alarm it was the spare

I carry a bicycle tire pump in each car all the time.
Its easy to use, does not rely on the battery and having the wires reach the tire, so I can use it for things like trailer tire, friends tire, spare tire, etc.
It was cheap ($10) and is super reliable.

It is similar to this example

k2-_0f897792-2ef7-4a4a-b5ea-67dba504c140.v1.jpg-2e689fcd375ebae4c2702861d04e590838d853e2-optim-450x450.jpg

+1. We used our manual bike foot pump w/built-in gauge to bring a very flat SUV tire from 0 to 28 psi two weeks ago so we could drive it three miles for repairs. Not difficult and body weight does the trick.

A tire store will probably fill your tires, Amethyst: Discount Tires, e.g., does it no matter if you bought the tires there: http://m.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoServicesAirCheck.do

Last edited:
I have a 12 volt compressor from Harbor Freight as well as a small 110 volt compressor in my garage. The 12 volt ones are slow and don't have a long life, so I only use that one when I have an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom