Moving to New Computer and Windows 8.1

I used Linux since maybe the mid-90s (Slackware?). We could tell which way things were going at the uni. I already was versed in Unix during college, so it was a snap.

Now I'm banished to Windows. But mainly on iOS ;)

I've had Windows 8 for over a year and I still hate it. I don't swear nearly as much when I'm on the computer as I initially did, but I still think the developers were smoking crack.

I used Linux since maybe the mid-90s (Slackware?). We could tell which way things were going at the uni. I already was versed in Unix during college, so it was a snap.

Now I'm banished to Windows. But mainly on iOS ;)

Slackware was one of the original distributions of linux. It's still going. I liked the the installation, it was easy to pick what packages to install and build your own system from it.

Slackware was one of the original distributions of linux. It's still going. I liked the the installation, it was easy to pick what packages to install and build your own system from it.

I needed TeX. Fast (i'd made a big mistake on a presentation). I couldn't believe I didn't need to go into work to fix it!

I needed TeX. Fast (i'd made a big mistake on a presentation). I couldn't believe I didn't need to go into work to fix it!

If you have a computer that does virtualization in the cpu install virtualbox, and then install your favorite version of linux (relatively modern) as a guest os. Or do things the other way around wipe windows (save your data), install virtual box and run your favorite version of windows as a guest. You can thus have the best of both worlds.

Here's a question. Maybe it's been talked about before I haven't found it.

Since Windows has so many non-fans and nobody really, actually likes it, they just use it because "everybody else does", and because lots of you are engineer/tech types.....

...does anybody here engage the computing world via Linux? Maybe saving Windows for a few minor chores Linux doesn't handle?

Since Windows has so many non-fans and nobody really, actually likes it, they just use it because "everybody else does", and because lots of you are engineer/tech types.....

...does anybody here engage the computing world via Linux? Maybe saving Windows for a few minor chores Linux doesn't handle?

Some of the recent posts had me wondering the same thing. So I started a new thread on the subject...

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...s-tell-your-story-here-72298.html#post1456591

-ERD50

My entire working life was Unix (SunOS), then IRIX, then Linux. But we had to use Windows for office-like work and presentations. I think I lost a year waiting for it to boot..

Ah, but your assumption is false. Even though I am an "engineer/tech type", I really, actually like Windows in all of its various incarnations. I even liked Me, and Vista. I was the very FIRST person in College Station, Texas to be sold Windows 95 when it first came out. Yes, I waited in line for it just like iPhone fans wait for their new telephones these days. And even though everyone was sourly growling and loudly complaining about Windows 95 and saying how much better Windows 3.1 was at that time, I said I liked it. So shoot me now and get it over. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

We had documents in Runoff ( more of a type setter , similar to Tex, LaTex ) on a Prime minicomputer, and Dec Alphas with openVMS and a few other things.

I use windows PCs to download virus/malware so I can see what they do and remove them :LOL:

I guess I do keep one running for Quicken because I have been to lazy to convert it over to one of the linux ones like GnuCash or moneydance. Can't think of much else. I guess games were a sticking point if you are into those. Also just to learn/test new windows releases.

I was to go to Canada and give a talk. I found errors in my paper and slides.

I stayed up really late to fix it (but at least I could with Linux).

I get to the airport, get on a plane, and am seated next to a mom and her little boy (probably 7 or so). I was trying to review the material, and this kid kept drooling on it. Then the mom leans over, points at it, and says, "IS THAT A MATRIX??".

Then the taxi guy forgot to give me my bags. I drank vodka and spoke crap French the rest of the week!

I now like Windows 8.1. On balance, that is. There are still a lot of things I hate, but overall, I am enjoying it now. Part of that is due to the nice keyboard and large screen.

My main complaints are with the lack of consistency. Windows was supposed to have a consistent interface for all apps. That worked great for a while, but now many developers have gotten all artistic and ignored standards. Options in different places, no menus, etc.

But the worst is that even Microsoft is not consistent. Change the display settings, and you have to press Apply. Change the power settings, and you don't. Other dialogs have OK, Cancel. Some dialogs have an Apply, but you have to scroll down or you miss it.

The worst (I better stop soon) is the error messages that pretty much just say "An error happened." Imagine if every error message had a unique number that you could look up on the net.

The worst (I better stop soon) is the error messages that pretty much just say "An error happened." Imagine if every error message had a unique number that you could look up on the net.

That's pretty consistent for MS, been that way since DOS. Like " Error Opening File"... OK, what #$@%! file are you trying to open!

Actually there are code numbers which can be looked up.

System Error Codes (Windows)

And there are some error code lookup tools

Windows Error Code & Message Lookup Tools

Yes, but unless those code numbers appear in the error dialog, they don't help. The best strategy is to Google the exact text of the message, then you get to see forum posts by thousands of others with the same problem (and sometimes a solution).

In my programming days, I realized that it's not always the fault of the app's programmers; the OS simply doesn't always return clear information about what went wrong.

In my programming days, I realized that it's not always the fault of the app's programmers; the OS simply doesn't always return clear information about what went wrong.

I've run into that, but even if the OS doesn't tell you what's wrong, hopefully the error trapping in your program can throw out something about what was going on when the error occurred. But I guess sometimes the OS grabs the error and throws it out, w/o getting back to the program control?

Or the error occurs in a generic subroutine that was called thousands of times - difficult sometimes to throw out anything useful to identify any uniqueness.

But this was long ago and I'm fuzzy on the details, and they will all vary depending on OS and language and so on.

-ERD50

I finally got around to trying out Linux Mint on an extra PC I have laying around. Overall, very nice (heck I could even make a shortcut to applications :)).

One frustrating thing though (maybe I just don't know how to make things work) is getting some applications that I like. The a Linux version, but not for Mint? For example, I like the Maxthon web browser. Maxthon says there's a linux version. I go the the Software Manager in Linux Mint, but Maxthon isn't listed. Does this mean, "sorry Charlie" until the browser works with Mint?

The same with Teamviewer. There's a Linux version, but I guess not one for Mint.

I finally got around to trying out Linux Mint on an extra PC I have laying around. Overall, very nice (heck I could even make a shortcut to applications :)).

One frustrating thing though (maybe I just don't know how to make things work) is getting some applications that I like. The a Linux version, but not for Mint? For example, I like the Maxthon web browser. Maxthon says there's a linux version. I go the the Software Manager in Linux Mint, but Maxthon isn't listed. Does this mean, "sorry Charlie" until the browser works with Mint?

The same with Teamviewer. There's a Linux version, but I guess not one for Mint.

The various distributions package some software. If you want to you can go to the maxthon page and download it. Here are instructions on how to do that: How To Install Maxthon Cloud Browser 1.0.5.3 On Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Elementary OS, Fedora, CentOS, Mageia, OpenSUSE And OpenMandriva | LinuxG.net
That is of course not for the faint of heart since you actually have to use the command prompt to do the install. (that is what the dpkg command on the second line is all about)

Linux Mint has a software updater (which you already know), and that application looks at approved repositories. You can add other repositories (sooner or later you will probably do this), but Maxthon is not in an approved third party repository. So go with meierlde link and have a go at it,

In that link it shows $ in the command line, but that is your prompt, and won't be typed in as part of the command.

You also need to find out if you need 32-bit or 64-bit version. Look for System Profiler, and it will give you this info.

There are engineer/tech types here who don't use Windows. We remain very happy with the Mac OS and Apple infrastructure. And part of that is because we are tech types and enjoy using nice tools.

BTW Apple uses Unix at the lowest levels of the MacOS.

Last edited:
The various distributions package some software. If you want to you can go to the maxthon page and download it. Here are instructions on how to do that: How To Install Maxthon Cloud Browser 1.0.5.3 On Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Elementary OS, Fedora, CentOS, Mageia, OpenSUSE And OpenMandriva | LinuxG.net
That is of course not for the faint of heart since you actually have to use the command prompt to do the install. (that is what the dpkg command on the second line is all about)

Thanks for the link. I tried in the terminal screen but no go. Got some type of dependency error. That's okay as I'm not quite ready to jump ship anytime soon to a different OS.

Linux Mint has a software updater (which you already know), and that application looks at approved repositories. You can add other repositories (sooner or later you will probably do this), but Maxthon is not in an approved third party repository. So go with meierlde link and have a go at it,

In that link it shows $ in the command line, but that is your prompt, and won't be typed in as part of the command.

You also need to find out if you need 32-bit or 64-bit version. Look for System Profiler, and it will give you this info.

I tried but no go. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take the lazy man approach and wait until Maxthon is in one of their approved repositories :)

Overall, I like Mint and will poke around with that a bit more. :)

I tried but no go. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take the lazy man approach and wait until Maxthon is in one of their approved repositories :)

Overall, I like Mint and will poke around with that a bit more. :)
Sorry it did not work out for you. What is the version of your Linux Mint?

On an older P4, I went with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Update:
Try this, then repeat the Maxthon install.
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install libgtkhotkey1
It worked for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom