NFL: 2014 Season

Peyton Manning has a very long history of not playing well in big games. How does someone who has been one of the best regular season QB of all time have a post season record of 11-11?

He had similar problems in college. At the time his major rival at Tennessee was the Florida Gators.
He lost to them 62-37....his only loss of the season
Lost 35-29 and threw 4 INTs....only lost 2 games this season
Lost 33-20....his only loss of the season.

He struggles in big games over and over again. That will always something that lingers in peoples mind when they look back at his career.

I don't dispute that Utrecht, and sadly my personal all time favorite (besides Staubach) Brett Favre was only 13-11 even Dan Marino was under .500 in post season. We have to be a bit gentle on career playoff records as in theory due to byes from reg. season records, a QB in theory could go to 15 straight Super Bowls and only have a 15-15 record to show for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John Fox just got the boot

Four AFC West titles in four years and a 46-18 record. That's pretty damn good. His contact was up so it's not like he was fired, he just wasn't re-hired.

Peyton Manning has a very long history of not playing well in big games. How does someone who has been one of the best regular season QB of all time have a post season record of 11-11?

He had similar problems in college. At the time his major rival at Tennessee was the Florida Gators.
He lost to them 62-37....his only loss of the season
Lost 35-29 and threw 4 INTs....only lost 2 games this season
Lost 33-20....his only loss of the season.

He struggles in big games over and over again. That will always something that lingers in peoples mind when they look back at his career.

He's now lost NINE first playoff games in his career. Since 1966, the next worst is four.

Peyton factor, indeed.

Colts fan here, and as I watched the Colts bleed the clock on Peyton in the fourth quarter, I thought, "I've seen this before from the other side." injured or not, Peyton's blown an awful lot of games his teams should've won in the playoffs. While the "he can't win a big game" is inaccurate, he definitely doesn't play as well when things aren't 100% his way.

Sadly, I don't think Peyton will be remembered as the best quarterback for either franchise. He's not better than Elway, and Luck will end up better than Peyton in Indy, in my opinion. He's already ahead of where Peyton was in year three, and with less offensive talent around him to boot.

A commentator said yesterday that one thing PM had to consider about next season was that Denver would likely have a new OC.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

He's now lost NINE first playoff games in his career. Since 1966, the next worst is four.

Peyton factor, indeed.

Colts fan here, and as I watched the Colts bleed the clock on Peyton in the fourth quarter, I thought, "I've seen this before from the other side." injured or not, Peyton's blown an awful lot of games his teams should've won in the playoffs. While the "he can't win a big game" is inaccurate, he definitely doesn't play as well when things aren't 100% his way.

Sadly, I don't think Peyton will be remembered as the best quarterback for either franchise. He's not better than Elway, and Luck will end up better than Peyton in Indy, in my opinion. He's already ahead of where Peyton was in year three, and with less offensive talent around him to boot.

The media sure jumps on the meat....They make it sound now like he was playing in a wheelchair. I am convinced something was wrong, but if it was an extreme injury the Broncos will be ponying up a big fine for not disclosing on injury report. So I imagine it is somewhere in between all the reports. As far as coaching regime change. Does an old dog like Manning even want to learn a possible new system and philosophy?

The media sure jumps on the meat....They make it sound now like he was playing in a wheelchair. I am convinced something was wrong, but if it was an extreme injury the Broncos will be ponying up a big fine for not disclosing on injury report. So I imagine it is somewhere in between all the reports. As far as coaching regime change. Does an old dog like Manning even want to learn a possible new system and philosophy?

Any OC that comes in with Manning at this stage is OC in name only. Manning's running the offense.

To the injury, Aaron Rodgers didn't do any running for two weeks prior to yesterday's game, and was clearly limited, yet he found a way. With Peyton, part of it I'm sure is his health and slower healing at age 38, but as I said if things aren't 100% right for him - whether it's pass protection (Pittsburgh) or DBs getting away with a little bit of holding (New England) - he's rarely been able to overcome it, particularly in the playoffs. He's done it once or twice (the incredible AFC Championship game in 2007 when they went on to win the Super Bowl), but it was a rarity when he was in Indy and continues today.

I loved the guy as a Colt, but Luck makes something happen regardless of circumstance. Peyton would be out of football behind the lines Luck's had these first three years. Luck just figures out ways to make plays more often than not.

... You do not get old suddenly in middle of the season...

Not true, Mulligan. I suddenly got old in the middle of the season. Season of '82, I think it was.

As long as Manning and Rodgers are able to stand upright and have a functional right arm, then they are better than their backups.
But the injuries are somewhat different in terms of how it affects throwing. The injury to Manning seemingly prevented him from being able to get any zip on his throws. Rodgers couldn't scramble much, but he was still able to plant his leg and throw darts. And that last TD pass was pure money.

Before the game, the color guy on CBS (can't remember which crew) said Manning looked as good as ever at practice and during warm ups. Convenient that now he was hurt. Clearly he didn't play well, but from my experience in Indy as a Colts fan, there's often some excuse when Peyton doesn't play well.

But the injuries are somewhat different in terms of how it affects throwing. The injury to Manning seemingly prevented him from being able to get any zip on his throws. Rodgers couldn't scramble much, but he was still able to plant his leg and throw darts. And that last TD pass was pure money.

I wonder if Rodgers off the mark earlier in the game was due to injury or rust with the bye week. Yes, he did zip that last TD pass in. It will be interesting if the Seahawks will try to flush him out to test the calf.

You cant be serious. Its clear as day that the ball hit the ground. Nobody even disputed whether or not it hit the ground. The argument was what the rule was.

Did the pigskin even hit the ground? Possibly. But it wasn't that cut and dry.

Dez Bryant Non-Catch Proves NFL Must Make Big Rule Changes This Offseason | Bleacher Report

Looks like I wasn't alone in questioning did the ball even hit the ground?

Thought, I did see an angle that the ball touched.

Dez Bryant Non-Catch Proves NFL Must Make Big Rule Changes This Offseason | Bleacher Report

Looks like I wasn't alone in questioning did the ball even hit the ground?

Thought, I did see an angle that the ball touched.
Not a Cowboys fan, and while I think it's possible Bryant didn't "catch" the ball according to the rules, and it's possible the review's outcome was technically correct according to the rules, I still think there's enough legitimate question about what is a "football move" that the ruling should have stood since there was no "indisputable evidence" that Bryant did not make a football move.

Not a Cowboys fan, and while I think it's possible Bryant didn't "catch" the ball according to the rules, and it's possible the review's outcome was technically correct according to the rules, I still think there's enough legitimate question about what is a "football move" that the ruling should have stood since there was no "indisputable evidence" that Bryant did not make a football move.

I think because the ball hit the ground and moved doesn't mean incomplete since he did make three (very quick, but still three) while the ball looked in control. I could see how the play could have been ruled down at the one and the ball can't cause a fumble. Yes, the ref it seems forgot about the "indisputable evidence" part.

For example, what happens if a receiver has the ball in control and does the tippy toe thing on the sidelines, then when when goes out of bounds on the ground the ball comes out? Would the football move thing still apply? I wonder.

Yes, the ref it seems forgot about the "indisputable evidence" part.
Yup. Frankly I don't see how you could overturn the call on the field either way, whether ruled a catch or incomplete. I saw nothing indisputable about it, especially given how subjective the definition of a "football move" is.

Disagree that the ball looked in control. Even Bryant said he tipped the ball to himself. As Cris Carter said on ESPN this morning, if that's true, the process of the catch starts over when you tip it, thus the first two steps are irrelevant since he didn't have control.

I saw that the DB tipped the ball preventing Bryant from securing the catch at the highest point (when he first got hands on the ball). Once he actually caught the football and secured it, he took only one step (the "pushoff step") and maybe dove with the ball hitting the ground and popping free. The "steps" and "football move" don't start until you actually secure the football, not when you first try to make a play on it. Thus, one step, no football move, ball hits ground and comes free... incomplete. I didn't really see what all the debate was about. I thought it was pretty clear-cut under the current rules. By rule, incomplete pass. (Colts fan, no vested interest either way). Frankly, I was surprised they called it a catch on the field, and I was pretty certain it would get overturned after seeing replays.

As CC also said this morning, he thinks Bryant knows damn good and well it wasn't a catch under the rules, and that Bryant would've been better off just securing the ball and going down rather than even trying to "lunge for the endzone" if that's indeed what he did. He also said that, like Bryant, he wouldn't publicly admit that.

Hmmm...Dez Bryant's effort ruled not a catch. When I think about his behavior the prior week on the field san helmet I can only think KARMA.

Not true, Mulligan. I suddenly got old in the middle of the season. Season of '82, I think it was.

Your post made me think of my favorite line (lifted from a Toby Keith song) I use to my GF.... I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Redduck, your post made me think of my favorite line (lifted from a Toby Keith song) I use to my GF.... I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Your post made me think of my favorite line (lifted from a Toby Keith song) I use to my GF.... I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

That man sure could sing the blues.

Cowboy fan here. Sure seems like it was 1) a catch or 2) a bad rule that needs to change.

However, that's the way it goes and sometimes you get the breaks and sometimes not.

I'm now rooting for Seattle. I love Russell Wilson. And I love and fear the legion of boom. They are great. They talk smack but sure back it up. That Cam field goal jump block was nothing short of awesome.

I don't like Seattle fans attitudes including the ones on this board. But I get it. If it was my team I'd be full of it too.

Muir
Welcome to the 12s!

FIFY

A stark contrast to the classy comments made by Jason Garrett after the GB victory. I'd be a bit embarrassed by this Tweet if I was a Lions fan.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I thought it was clearly in jest and not objectionable given the circumstances.

Seriously, dude. It was funny, definitely not unclassy. Maybe juvenile, since it's a bunch of grown men playing a game. Personally I can't think of a more appropriate response.

Did you watch the game? He can't throw a ball beyond 10 yards with any accuracy. He started the year well but his arm strength declined as the season progressed. Now this may be related to a recent injury or something physical but I doubt it.

I think he should retire and be remembered as the great QB that he is rather than the mediocre QB that he would become.

And if it comes right down to it, he's not even the best QB that ever played for the Colts. But I remember watching Johnny U. playing for the Chargers and thinking "you should have quit three seasons ago". But now, a few years later, most people don't even remember that he did that. Greatness will step forward and be remembered, whether you go out like Jim Brown or Unitas. It will happen for Peyton too, whether he goes out now or not.

And if it comes right down to it, he's not even the best QB that ever played for the Colts. But I remember watching Johnny U. playing for the Chargers and thinking "you should have quit three seasons ago". But now, a few years later, most people don't even remember that he did that. Greatness will step forward and be remembered, whether you go out like Jim Brown or Unitas. It will happen for Peyton too, whether he goes out now or not.

I think your correct. Hall of Fame QB Warren Moon spent his last 2 years in KC as a backup. He played in 2 games(2000) when Elvis Grbac was injured. It was sad to watch, even sadder than watching Grbac. But Warren was well past his prime. I recall thinking "just fall down, before the defense rips your head off ". He was a great QB and that's how I choose to remember Warren. Grbac that's a different memory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Current odds:
Seattle is favored to win this year's Super Bowl. The Seahawks are currently listed at 5-to-4, followed by the Patriots (8/5), Packers (5/1) and Colts (8/1).

Seriously, dude. It was funny, definitely not unclassy. Maybe juvenile, since it's a bunch of grown men playing a game. Personally I can't think of a more appropriate response.

Harley your last paragraph reminds me of how I have judged the all time greats. My only memories of Johnny Unitas was getting creamed in his high tops and going to the bench for the Chargers, so I can't give him his proper respect. I only remember Joe Namath and Dick Butkus playing as cripples. But on the other hand watching in my youth I saw Roger Staubach play at his peak and retire with basically a career year. Now 30 years later I don't remember him ever throwing an incomplete pass or ever losing a game! :)

Back
Top Bottom