NFL: 2014 Season

16710_10153136808886742_5631663919916250658_n.jpg

I think that sometimes we take for granted that come crunch time coaches make terrible decisions too.

The Seahawks kind of live by taking chances and die by taking chances. Carroll might have figured, a gusty pass in the first half worked for a TD, so why not try again?

Those calls, if they work then the call is brilliant. If they fail, well :facepalm:

What comes to mind is the on side kick during the Saints vs Colts SB. Had that fail, the call could have lost the game right there, but instead, it was brilliant move by Sean Payton.

With all that said, Carroll should have just handed to ball off. If try a pass, then at least do a play action and have Wilson do a QB option. He probably would've have a wide open receiver or walked in.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda :)

Last edited:
Having heard Carroll's explanation, the call made sense. If it had worked, he would have been a hero. However, it did give the Monday Morning Quarterbacks a lot to talk about.

Having heard Carroll's explanation, the call made sense. If it had worked, he would have been a hero. However, it did give the Monday Morning Quarterbacks a lot to talk about.

Seems to me the Seattle coaches overthought it, trying to get too fancy. sometimes simple is better.

Unfortunately, Carroll and the O.C. gave away a "Jimmy Chitwood" moment to Lynch.

Carroll, to his credit, was a stand-up guy with the media post-game and took all the blame for things going haywire. And there is, technically, a marginally feasible explanation for why you go with the pass in that situation.

But it just doesn't stand up to logic. Not with Lynch at your disposal, and especially not with him showing signs in the second half of wearing down the New England defense. But here we are — this isn't Hollywood, Marshawn Lynch isn't Jimmy Chitwood and Pete Carroll isn't Norman Dale.

Pete Carroll, Marshawn Lynch and the Hollywood ending that never was

Pete Carroll is now the only coach to win an NCAA championship, win a Super Bowl for his team, and win a Super Bowl for his opponent.

This young Seahawks team is making history. And we are only in the beginning chapters of their ultimate story. From a Tweet a bit ago:

Yes, the Seahawks are making history. They are making history by being a classless bunch of thugs. A running back that grabs his crotch and flashes gang signs when he scores, a wide receiver that emulates pulling down his pants and crapping on the football when he scores, a cornerback that is an over educated, immature runner of the mouth that needs to grow up AND a Coach that espouses theories about the World Trade Canter being taken down by our own government. The NFL needs to straighten out these classless wonders and return some dignity to their fields. There! I said it......give it to me, baby! :D

Thank heaven the 2014 NFL season is over, on to 2015. But the killer bees are on the way: basketball and (my favorite) baseball. Yay!!!

Yes, the Seahawks are making history. They are making history by being a classless bunch of thugs. A running back that grabs his crotch and flashes gang signs when he scores, a wide receiver that emulates pulling down his pants and crapping on the football when he scores, a cornerback that is an over educated, immature runner of the mouth that needs to grow up AND a Coach that espouses theories about the World Trade Canter being taken down by our own government. The NFL needs to straighten out these classless wonders and return some dignity to their fields. There! I said it......give it to me, baby! :D

Over educated? How do you hammer a guy for that?

The NFL thugs, morons and idiots have been around for a long time doing what they are doing. It's now there are more ways to demonstrate it to the public with constant TV coverage, social media, etc.

Plus, monetary fines don't mean much to them since they make so much money and love the publicity from their actions. Only when they get taken into court and are looking at jail time does the light start to glow.

The NFL thugs, morons and idiots have been around for a long time doing what they are doing. It's now there are more ways to demonstrate it to the public with constant TV coverage, social media, etc.

Plus, monetary fines don't mean much to them since they make so much money and love the publicity from their actions. Only when they get taken into court and are looking at jail time does the light start to glow.

ummmm.......it's just a game played primarily by people in their 20's. 20 year olds do lots of immature stuff. But I'm not going to watch if only old farts that 'should know better' are allowed to play.

And thinking about it, society expects a lot of our 20 somethings. The military needs them, professional sports needs them, graduate professors need them, and entry level jobs need them. Maybe we should cut them some slack. :flowers:

You could make that case about most if not all NFL teams, they all have some questionable players. It's too easy to pick out a few 'bad guys,' and ignore the good player/citizen majority, to run down any team.

A wise old guy once told me:
'You'll never convert me to your religion/team/other by running down others, you just make a fool out of yourself and attract other fools. Can't you make a case for your religion/team/other instead? Just tell me what's good about your religion/team/other, I'll decide for myself from there.'

Last edited:
ummmm.......it's just a game played primarily by people in their 20's. 20 year olds do lots of immature stuff. But I'm not going to watch if only old farts that 'should know better' are allowed to play.

And thinking about it, society expects a lot of our 20 somethings. The military needs them, professional sports needs them, graduate professors need them, and entry level jobs need them. Maybe we should cut them some slack. :flowers:

I don't think the discussion is about the entire universe of 20 - 35 years old men in the U.S. My gut feeling it's referring to the high paid, pampered athletes in the NFL in particular.

This year has been a bad year, publicity wise, for the NFL with the highly publicized cases of athletes beating up wives, children, etc. You can figure it out from there.

I don't think the discussion is about the entire universe of 20 - 35 years old men in the U.S. My gut feeling it's referring to the high paid, pampered athletes in the NFL in particular.

This year has been a bad year, publicity wise, for the NFL with the highly publicized cases of athletes beating up wives, children, etc. You can figure it out from there.

I don't see that much difference between NFL 20 somethings and the 20 somethings who also make a lot of money in entertainment or wall street or silicon valley. they all behave like 20 somethings with an lot of money.

I don't see that much difference between NFL 20 somethings and the 20 somethings who also make a lot of money in entertainment or wall street or silicon valley. they all behave like 20 somethings with an lot of money.

Agreed, but this is a thread about the NFL season.

I think the action of the players on a team is a reflection of the head coach' s style. Pete Carroll has never been a disciplinarian. For the 3 years he coached the Pats his team regressed every year. At the time I thought his brouhaha cheerleading style would be better suited for the college level as he would be able to recruit and motivate college kids better than millionaire superstars with big egos. He had great success at USC and when he returned to the NFL he drafted and and got players that fit his style and to his credit he has been successful.

I prefer old school coaching where the coach controls his players and won't tolerate actions such as making obscene and vulgar gestures at games watched by hundreds of thousands youngsters and families.

When he was in NE Pete never disciplined a player for being late for practice or for other infractions. Belechick on the other hand sent Darrell Revis home when he showed up 15 minutes late for practice and when Wes Welker openly mocked an opposing coach he stayed on the bench for the first quarter of a playoff game.

Last edited:
BTW, what the hell are we going to do now? Football is over until Fall!

http://youtu.be/yGzCwwnwDkM

Yeah, but this past SB might be the one that'll be compared to all others going forward. I fear we'll be disappointed if we ever expect similar excitement. Unless there's a re-match! Now THAT would be sumptin!

Back
Top Bottom