NFL: 2014 Season

Maybe they could place an asterisk in the book with a footnote: "Indianapolis Colts accused New England Patriots of cheating".

Maybe they could place an asterisk in the book with a footnote: "Indianapolis Colts accused New England Patriots of cheating".

Well, the preponderance of the evidence suggests they DID cheat (again). That they didn't need to cheat to win, or win big even, isn't really relevant, much like it's not relevant whether Pete Rose's gambling ever impacted the result of a game on the field.

They couldn't beat them on the field losing 6 games in a row with the last 4 by a combined score of 189-73.

They will meet again in week 6 next season. Can't wait........

I really did think the Broncos would be there. They did beat New England.

If anyone wants to laugh at teams I support, they are welcome to join the thread with this calendar year in the title!

I vote that for Brady's punishment that the Pats footballs for the next Colts game be inflated to 14.5 PSI. That'll teach him. :facepalm:

This whole thing is ridiculous and the Patriot haters' vitriol is even more ridiculous.:horse:

I really did think the Broncos would be there. They did beat New England.

If anyone wants to laugh at teams I support, they are welcome to join the thread with this calendar year in the title!

The PATS beat the Broncos last year 43-21 at Gillette. I was at that game

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Warren Sharp argues: 'The New England Patriots Prevention of Fumbles is Nearly Impossible' (suggesting this may have been going on since 2007):
The 2014 Patriots were just the 3rd team in the last 25 years to never have lost a fumble at home! The biggest difference between the Patriots and the other 2 teams who did it was that New England ran between 150 and 200 MORE plays this year than those teams did in the years they had zero home fumbles, making the Patriots stand alone in this unique statistic.

Today, May 7, Sharp posted this update: 'The Wells Report May Have Uncovered the Tip of the Iceberg'

...In the meantime, I still hold firm in my position (which is further supported by this report) that something happened in the 2007 season which began to aide the Patriots in preventing fumbles, and that carried on thru the 2014-15 season. I don’t believe the NFL has any desire to attempt an investigation back that far, nor do I believe they could find any evidence of anything significant. But then again, I didn’t think the Wells report would result in any key findings or punishment.

The Patriots may have simply learned a new way to hold the football starting in 2007, and it wasn’t until 2014 that they started deflating footballs. I (still) won’t say the Patriots became fumble-proof because of deflated footballs, because I don’t know. I only have the data, and the data says “something” happened. If, what the Wells report found from 2014 began to happen as early as 2007, than his report may have uncovered only the tip of the iceberg.

I am eager to see what rule changes the NFL makes regarding the footballs for the 2015 season, and if NE's fumble stats fall back into the "normal range."

Last edited:
I wonder why people who love the Pats think that anybody how says they are cheaters and they should be punished are called 'haters'.... heck, I like the Pats over many other teams... I just think cheaters should be punished... and when they do something again should be punished hard...

And if there is a third time.... well, I would take them out a full season.... coach and QB....(if they were the guilty ones)....

Like Brady's recent answer, I haven't had much time to digest this fully. :)

IMO, he definitely wasn't truthful in his press conference back in Jan. But if the Commish decides there's enough to warrant a suspension, I'd only give a 1 game suspension and a moderate fine. If there's not enough evidence, I'd give him no punishment and let the perception yay or nay play out over time.

My guess is a the ball guy get canned. Nothing for any player for any player. New rules and process put in place for ball control. It's just improving the game.....

🐑

Tom Brady's legacy = Barry Bonds' legacy?

What an odd comparison. Footballs perhaps, maybe but no one is sure other than one game, a PSI or so below standard compared to performance enhancing drugs. That sounds a bit warped to me.

Not a Brady or Pats honk by any means, but if what he did was so egregious why didn't any of those idiot zebras catch it. The ball is handled by two officials almost every down and not one of those clowns noticed it all these games and/or years? Brady may serve a suspension but the zebras collectively should have to pass the hat to pay the fine just for being unobservant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Probably more likely than not" that it happened and Brady "perhaps generally aware".
Such a firm and conclusive condemnation!

And from that assessment, he's become a cheater, a liar, should be stripped of the SB, all records, deserves a million dollar fine and lifetime suspension?

Good thing he didn't smack his wife unconscious in an elevator or hit his kids with a switch!

Good gawd.

Not a Brady or Pats honk by any means, but if what he did was so egregious why didn't any of those idiot zebras catch it. The ball is handled by two officials almost every down and not one of those clowns noticed it all these games and/or years? Brady may serve a suspension but the zebras collectively should have to pass the hat to pay the fine just for being unobservant.

I would think because they are not squeezing the ball every time they touch it... being down a pound or so in PSI, the ball will probably feel the same without any pressure put on it...

I would also say (without any real knowledge) that the feel probably is not much different between the two either... just a hunch....

"Probably more likely than not" that it happened and Brady "perhaps generally aware".

And from that assessment, he's become a cheater, a liar, should be stripped of the SB, all records, deserves a million dollar fine and lifetime suspension?

Good thing he didn't smack his wife unconscious in an elevator or hit his kids with a switch!

Good gawd.

Meanwhile the other 31 teams in the NFL and their fans would kill to have him be their QB............

Good gawd.

Nobody here said he should get a lifetime suspension, or a million dollar fine, or be stripped of the SB, or any of his records.

Le'Veon Bell just got suspended 3 games for having marijuana which is becoming legal state by state right now. Texas which is a very conservative state is in the process of legalizing it right now. If players are going to be suspended for minor off the field infractions then Brady certainly deserves a 1-3 game suspension.

Nobody here said he should get a lifetime suspension, or a million dollar fine, or be stripped of the SB, or any of his records.

You obviously didn't read all the posts. Post #1331 mentioned a million dollar fine for Brady and a 10 million fine for the team.

Last edited:
I would think because they are not squeezing the ball every time they touch it... being down a pound or so in PSI, the ball will probably feel the same without any pressure put on it...

I would also say (without any real knowledge) that the feel probably is not much different between the two either... just a hunch....

I actually agree with you. Which reinforces my thought that this is being blown up a bit out of proportion. I think it is in line with Don Sutton sandpapering baseballs, and Gaylord Perrys use of vaseline, dozens of offensive lineman greasing their uniforms up, etc. None of those offenders were hearing of possible suspensions equal to or more than a quarter of a season. I am probably out of touch with todays view. In something like this to me its more like...Ok you caught me, suspend me a game and give me a fine and lets move on.

I actually agree with you. Which reinforces my thought that this is being blown up a bit out of proportion. I think it is in line with Don Sutton sandpapering baseballs, and Gaylord Perrys use of vaseline, dozens of offensive lineman greasing their uniforms up, etc. None of those offenders were hearing of possible suspensions equal to or more than a quarter of a season. I am probably out of touch with todays view. In something like this to me its more like...Ok you caught me, suspend me a game and give me a fine and lets move on.

I too compare deflating the footballs to getting an edge as similar to pitchers doctoring the ball in baseball and if there's enough proof, then Brady should be suspended accordingly. I think one game (1/16th of a regular season) is enough.

True, he may have cheated for years, but there's no way to know if and when he did and on previous games.

Gaylord Perry is a good comparison as he is in the Hall of Fame. His stats still should stand, though those who follow baseball know he had a little assistance from his helpers (as in Mr. Vaseline) :LOL:. In other words, he cheated his way to the Hall of Fame.

You obviously didn't read all the posts. Post #1331 mentioned a million dollar fine for Brady and a 10 million fine for the team.

Yeah, I missed that. No mention of lifetime suspension of taking away his records though.

Personally, based on the suspension happy NFL right now, I think Brady should get a 2 games suspension and the Pats should lose a first round pick next yr. Fines are pretty useless when you are dealing with multimillionaires. Besides Brady would lose a hell of a lot of salary already if he gets suspended for a couple games.

Not a Brady or Pats honk by any means, but if what he did was so egregious why didn't any of those idiot zebras catch it. The ball is handled by two officials almost every down and not one of those clowns noticed it all these games and/or years? .....

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me... if one PSI or so isn't very noticeable to the officials who handle the ball every offensive down I don't get how an underinflated ball can be such a significant advantage to cause such an uproar.

In any event, I hope that the league puts new procedures in place so we never have to go through this stuff ever again.

Back
Top Bottom