Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What have you checked off your bucket list so far?
Build your own house 22 26.83%
Buy a yacht 5 6.10%
Climb a mountain like Everest 6 7.32%
Dedicate time to volunteering 33 40.24%
Deep sea dive 12 14.63%
Dine at Michelin star restaurant 13 15.85%
Complete Outward Bound or equivalent (miliary course) 6 7.32%
Go on an African safari 10 12.20%
Go skydiving 10 12.20%
Hot air balloon ride 19 23.17%
Learn to fly a plane/helicopter 17 20.73%
Learn to surf 10 12.20%
Live & work abroad OR start & run your dream business 33 40.24%
Run a marathon OR ride a century (bike) ride 20 24.39%
See the Northern lights 26 31.71%
Swim with dolphins/sharks 23 28.05%
Travel the world (3 or more continents) 45 54.88%
Trek the Great Wall of China 13 15.85%
Try out an F1 car/NASCAR/dragster 3 3.66%
Write a novel 5 6.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Okay, now I am depressed. I have not done any of them. I do not have a bucket list either, but I might think about starting one. Putting down goals, helps you to achieve them. Maybe, if I had an actual bucket list, I would get going. I think that I keep falling into the OMY for traveling. Maybe I will go to (fill in the blank) next year or the year after. Most of the things on my bucket list would be travel related also. I agree that if I don't get to certain places, I have still had a very good life!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Okay, now I am depressed. I have not done any of them. I do not have a bucket list either, but I might think about starting one. Putting down goals, helps you to achieve them. Maybe, if I had an actual bucket list, I would get going. I think that I keep falling into the OMY for traveling. Maybe I will go to (fill in the blank) next year or the year after. Most of the things on my bucket list would be travel related also. I agree that if I don't get to certain places, I have still had a very good life!
I am sure you're kidding, but it's just a list of the most common list items, your bucket list is just different. We've all had memorable experiences...so have you.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I also share my attitude with the middle aged Texas lady who at the leaning tower of Pisa was heard to say, "well I seen the thing leaning, and that's enough for me!"

Ha
I was in western Kansas last week....in a 50 MPH wind, everything is leaning. I guess that trip could be a candidate for my bucket list..St. Francis, KS or bust..
Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I took poetic license with the poll - a land yacht is an RV right? Check - done!
Climbing Everest is the same thing as hiking a really big part of the Pacific Coast Trail? Yes! Want to do!
Above all, I have always wanted to write a good novel that sells (or gets lots of free downloads, don't really care about the $). I haven't written one since in my teens. I really don't want to go without having done that.
Don't find travel bucket list goals that interesting - seems pretty lame and easy to just pay for a ticket, get on a plane and go somewhere. I have always wanted to do a Mississippi River riverboat cruise though. And spend about 6 months touring the southeast and all the plantations etc. Since I live in Northern Lights world, that would be wonderful to me.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I am sure you're kidding, but it's just a list of the most common list items, your bucket list is just different. We've all had memorable experiences...so have you.
Yes, I was just kidding. I have had some memorable experiences and I know that I will have more providing that I keep living. However, life does end, and I need to start planning more adventures! Thanks for the kind reply.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Yes, I was just kidding. I have had some memorable experiences and I know that I will have more providing that I keep living. However, life does end, and I need to start planning more adventures! Thanks for the kind reply.
Memorable maybe, but not life threatening. Most of those on the list I would have done 30 years ago. Now a days, I'm not interested in anything that will give me a heart attack, blow my knee out, or scare the hell out of me.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I have and will do a few things on the list but I don't have any official bucket list. I am quite happy to just have financial security, live some place with warm weather and lots of nice parks and beaches, and free time for my inexpensive hobbies.

Eventually I would like to do something in public service that has a major impact - help get a far reaching social justice law passed or work on a national political campaign. I guess that is my only big goal, and I'm still fuzzy on how to make that happen. First we have to get the kids launched, declutter and downsize so we have more free time for loftier goals.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Memorable maybe, but not life threatening. Most of those on the list I would have done 30 years ago. Now a days, I'm not interested in anything that will give me a heart attack, blow my knee out, or scare the hell out of me.

One rule I would add is that the ass is never allowed to be higher than the head. Head, up here, ass down there...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
One rule I would add is that the ass is never allowed to be higher than the head. Head, up here, ass down there...
I guess that rules out yoga.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

None of those things interest me. There is much more to life than any of the listed things. I have no list and never will. I get up and give thanks for making it to another day. I would like to hit the lottery though
Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 AM   #31

Hot air balloon ride is the only item I checked off. Visit all US National park is one of my list and I am 40% done. It's impossible one to complete as they keep adding more National Park to the list.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I guess that rules out yoga.

And perhaps some of the Kama Sutra...

Actually more directly related to "amusement" park rides.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #33

Like many I don't have any list of things to do that will make me feel unfulfilled if they don't get done. I've already done the biggies - security for myself and DW, nice but not elaborate home and enough money to cover all but Armageddon.

Especially during the winter we're very much stay-at-home types and like day trips or a bit longer trips for an overnight or two when the weather is suitable. The last two years especially were consumed with FIL's issues so we're looking forward to having more free time for us.

So this spring/summer we're going to take some trips, don't know where yet and it probably doesn't matter. A few years ago we went on an overnight trip to WV's southern end to the coal country and I was surprisingly interested in the history there. So we'll probably do some more of that type thing, and we want to look at some CCRC's for later on down the road.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Results so far...(pleasantly) surprised, and every choice has at least one vote now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BList.jpg (95.1 KB, 18 views)

Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have no plans for a bucket list. IMO, nothing more than a travel marketing gimmick. Hey kids, remember when you collected bubble gum cards? Now you lucky old person, you can check off bucket items!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I may have a list of things I would like to do, but I do not feel the need to prove anything any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I don't know if I have a bucket list, as such. There are a near-infinite number of things I would like to pursue, but I do not need to do any of them to be happy. ... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Like many I don't have any list of things to do that will make me feel unfulfilled if they don't get done. I've already done the biggies - security for myself and DW, nice but not elaborate home and enough money to cover all but Armageddon. ...
Gotta agree with the above. The whole idea of comparing 'bucket lists' is rather silly to me.

The only thing that is really on my bucket list is getting to the point in my life where I don't have to do most things that people tell me to do, and I'm pretty much there! So....

Quote:
just have fun with it!
Don't tell me what to do!!!!

-ERD50
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The whole idea of comparing 'bucket lists' is rather silly to me.
You don't have to participate or contribute. And the poll is anonymous, so there's really no comparing...

Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You don't have to participate or contribute.

But you said "Have Fun"!

-ERD50
Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Hot air balloon ride is the only item I checked off...
Only one I checked.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I get to checkoff off one more as I forgot about my stint as a Girl Scout leader .My girl's got badges for everything and the other leader did the camping .
Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #40

I think my "retrospective" bucket list is going to include things like "survived day after day in -40 degree MN weather." Check!