Poll: Bucket Lists

What have you checked off your bucket list so far?

• Build your own house

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Buy a yacht

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Climb a mountain like Everest

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Dedicate time to volunteering

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Deep sea dive

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Dine at Michelin star restaurant

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Complete Outward Bound or equivalent (miliary course)

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Go on an African safari

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Go skydiving

• Hot air balloon ride

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Learn to fly a plane/helicopter

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Learn to surf

• Live & work abroad OR start & run your dream business

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Run a marathon OR ride a century (bike) ride

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • See the Northern lights

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • Swim with dolphins/sharks

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Travel the world (3 or more continents)

Votes: 45 54.9%
  • Trek the Great Wall of China

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Try out an F1 car/NASCAR/dragster

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Write a novel

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters
Yes, I was just kidding. I have had some memorable experiences and I know that I will have more providing that I keep living. However, life does end, and I need to start planning more adventures! Thanks for the kind reply.
Memorable maybe, but not life threatening. Most of those on the list I would have done 30 years ago. Now a days, I'm not interested in anything that will give me a heart attack, blow my knee out, or scare the hell out of me. :)

I have and will do a few things on the list but I don't have any official bucket list. I am quite happy to just have financial security, live some place with warm weather and lots of nice parks and beaches, and free time for my inexpensive hobbies.

Eventually I would like to do something in public service that has a major impact - help get a far reaching social justice law passed or work on a national political campaign. I guess that is my only big goal, and I'm still fuzzy on how to make that happen. First we have to get the kids launched, declutter and downsize so we have more free time for loftier goals.

Last edited:
Memorable maybe, but not life threatening. Most of those on the list I would have done 30 years ago. Now a days, I'm not interested in anything that will give me a heart attack, blow my knee out, or scare the hell out of me. :)

One rule I would add is that the ass is never allowed to be higher than the head. Head, up here, ass down there...

None of those things interest me. There is much more to life than any of the listed things. I have no list and never will. I get up and give thanks for making it to another day. I would like to hit the lottery though:D

Hot air balloon ride is the only item I checked off. Visit all US National park is one of my list and I am 40% done. It's impossible one to complete as they keep adding more National Park to the list.

Like many I don't have any list of things to do that will make me feel unfulfilled if they don't get done. I've already done the biggies - security for myself and DW, nice but not elaborate home and enough money to cover all but Armageddon.

Especially during the winter we're very much stay-at-home types and like day trips or a bit longer trips for an overnight or two when the weather is suitable. The last two years especially were consumed with FIL's issues so we're looking forward to having more free time for us.

So this spring/summer we're going to take some trips, don't know where yet and it probably doesn't matter. A few years ago we went on an overnight trip to WV's southern end to the coal country and I was surprisingly interested in the history there. So we'll probably do some more of that type thing, and we want to look at some CCRC's for later on down the road.

Results so far...(pleasantly) surprised, and every choice has at least one vote now.

Attachments

• BList.jpg
    BList.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 18
I have no plans for a bucket list. IMO, nothing more than a travel marketing gimmick. Hey kids, remember when you collected bubble gum cards? Now you lucky old person, you can check off bucket items!

I may have a list of things I would like to do, but I do not feel the need to prove anything any more.

I don't know if I have a bucket list, as such. There are a near-infinite number of things I would like to pursue, but I do not need to do any of them to be happy. ... .

Like many I don't have any list of things to do that will make me feel unfulfilled if they don't get done. I've already done the biggies - security for myself and DW, nice but not elaborate home and enough money to cover all but Armageddon. ...

Gotta agree with the above. The whole idea of comparing 'bucket lists' is rather silly to me.

The only thing that is really on my bucket list is getting to the point in my life where I don't have to do most things that people tell me to do, and I'm pretty much there! So....

just have fun with it!

Don't tell me what to do!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

-ERD50

The whole idea of comparing 'bucket lists' is rather silly to me.
You don't have to participate or contribute. And the poll is anonymous, so there's really no comparing...

Last edited:
I get to checkoff off one more as I forgot about my stint as a Girl Scout leader .My girl's got badges for everything and the other leader did the camping .

I think my "retrospective" bucket list is going to include things like "survived day after day in -40 degree MN weather." Check!

Same as many earlier posters, I do not have a bucket list. And many of the items in the poll are not of interest to me, bucket or not.

The only thing I still enjoy doing is travel. And while I still like to spend one summer of RV'ing in Alaska, then another summer going down St. Lawrence River and going to Newfoundland before returning to the US in the fall for foliage peeping and feasting on lobster, these are not really on my bucket list either. Who's to say the above is more enjoyable than to visit some other places that I have not been to, such as Long Island to see how the rich people live in the Hamptons, and to see how the duck farms coexist with the latter there, and to sample some farm products.

The world is a big place. Even the US is. There are so many places I can visit and enjoy. For me, even driving across the vast windswept prairies of Wyoming was an experience, or on a highway snaking through a remote valley along a stream in Montana. There were some people living there, even a rundown RV park. I did not stop, but wondered what people were doing there, and how they made a living. Every little corner of this world has some histories, some stories to tell, some mysteries. Too bad I could not stop at every place.

I have no idea what the average age is of the members here... but as far as a bucket list goes... it's never to early to live as if you have one.

I've never had a "list" of things I want to do someday.

Someday has always been "now" for me.

I don't know if I'd call it a bucket list, but there are places I'd like to see before I die. I haven't done much traveling so would like to change that someday. On the list: the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Hawaii, and an Alaskan cruise. I'd really love to take my kids to Disney World but that's more for them than me. Maybe someday!:confused:

Whether we have written bucket lists or what's on it are not important. We all fully grasp 'you only live once' at different stages in life, hopefully some early, unfortunately some too late...

Last edited:
Actually the only thing I can think of for my bucket list is living to 100. Now THAT would be pretty cool.

Good friends grand father just passed 2 weeks short of 102 ... but there wasn't any thing cool about the last 7 years. He was blind and deaf.

I kind of like the term "kick the bucket" but "bucket list"? Very ugly indeed. I won't participate using such a common term. It has to be more sophisticated. :cool:

Let's see ..... maybe:
1) Makes me cool list (Nope, too obvious)
2) Sets me apart list (Again, people might see through to my real purpose)
3) Cocktail chat list (A little better)
4) Silly list -- this gets my vote for the best list title replacement

p.s. This is just something I've wrestled with for ages now. Apologies to the OP for dissing the terminology.

I kind of like the term "kick the bucket" but "bucket list"? Very ugly indeed. I won't participate using such a common term. It has to be more sophisticated. :cool:

Let's see ..... maybe:
1) Makes me cool list (Nope, too obvious)
2) Sets me apart list (Again, people might see through to my real purpose)
3) Cocktail chat list (A little better)
4) Silly list -- this gets my vote for the best list title replacement

p.s. This is just something I've wrestled with for ages now. Apologies to the OP for dissing the terminology.
My list was a spreadsheet named "LIFEGOALS" that I started when I was 30, long before the movie and 'bucket list' term entered the vernacular. My filename hasn't changed. The terminology is beside the point no? And it was intended to be fun, nothing serious at all. Better? :flowers:

Good friends grand father just passed 2 weeks short of 102 ... but there wasn't any thing cool about the last 7 years. He was blind and deaf.
My last surviving uncle recently passed at 96. The last 3 years of his life were spent tied to an oxygen machine and for the most part confined to his house. I don't see that as living so much as just existing and don't know that I would want that for myself.

My list was a spreadsheet named "LIFEGOALS" that I started when I was 30, long before the movie and 'bucket list' term entered the vernacular. My filename hasn't changed. The terminology is beside the point no? And it was intended to be fun, nothing serious at all. Better? :flowers:
Hi Midpack, I know your intentions were honorable and tried to indicate it in my p.s. comment. And I know this is suppose to be fun which is why I had fun with a little black humor. I do try to keep my posts away from the negative but might have strayed too close to that boundary.

Anyway, how are you doing on your Lifegoals list?

Back
Top Bottom