Join Early Retirement Today

Really Good Foods You Probably Haven't Tried
Old 07-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Really Good Foods You Probably Haven't Tried

Sometimes you come across some food that tastes good, but you've never seen it before. Some of these are foreign foods that aren't widely known in this country.

Anyway, if there's something you've tried that's good, but relatively unknown, post it here. I'm talking about things you can buy at the store rather than recipes for things you make at home.

I'll start it off with these things which look like Styrofoam, but are great with some margarine on them. Every time I have one I say "wow."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #2

Ooh, those are good with cream cheese or peanut butter as well! And only 40 calories each for the multigrain ones!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Okay, it's not really very exotic, but most Americans probably haven't tried Nutella. It's more popular in Europe, but available in most US supermarkets. Cocoa and hazelnut tastes. A nice treat on almost any kind of bread or roll.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I get the multigrain ones that come in a paper (not cardboard) wrapper. They're by Wasa as well.

Umm... good store-bought foods that are relatively unknown...

Newman's Own Ginger-O's
Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #5

I've always like the regular WASA, with some nice sharp cheddar.

One thing comes to mind, which is black olive paste. You might find it in small jars where they sell capers and such. I always figured it was for making little appetizers, spreading on a bit of bread or something, and it never reeled me in. Then someone gave me some and mentioned you could use it on pasta.. and it's really great on spaghetti for a quick meal, like an olive pesto. Now I always keep a jar on hand.

another excellent cracker you don't find everywhere (and nowhere in Italy, unfortunately) is Ak-Mak:

Old 07-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Okay, it's not really very exotic, but most Americans probably haven't tried Nutella. It's more popular in Europe, but available in most US supermarkets. Cocoa and hazelnut tastes. A nice treat on almost any kind of bread or roll.

Hell, give me a bag of pretzels and a jar of nutella, and I'll make an afternoon of it. That stuff is good.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Nopales. They come in jars and cans at mexican grocers and at walmart (they even have store brand here). Basically cactus. Not sure how to describe the taste. Maybe like green beans with a sour tang to them (from the jar at least).
Old 07-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #8

In Italy I have seen them selling Nutella pizzas.

Nanni Moretti drowning his sorrows in a giant vat of Nutella (from the film, Bianca. That block-y thing is full of the stuff; they probably used an aquarium as it wasn't exactly a high-budget movie):

Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I think we might need a companion thread, maybe two...foods that are awful and foods that might be best avoided due to their name...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shitto.jpg (40.7 KB, 361 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Hmmm.....I'll have to try it. Just got through eating a piece of fig cake with cream cheese icing. Mom made for my b'day from figs right out of my back yard. Is that living off the fat of the land or what?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #11

Quote:
When I worked in France, I always looked for the street vendors that served it with crepes. Good stuff.

Also had it on waffels (in Belgium, where else? ) when we were in Brussles earlier this year.

As far as the Wasa crackers (e.g. "Swedish bread"), they were on all hotel breakfast buffets when I traveled (wo*k) to Sweden. I still buy them here, and top them with PB & cinnamon ...

As far as my favorite "new food" found while traveling in Europe is steak tartare. Most folks in the U.S. (can't get it here) would probably never try it, however with the right spices (and the raw egg) it's really good. And hey, it's low carb!

- Ron
Old 07-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #12

Holland Rusk spread with Roses Lime Marmelade creates a party in my mouth!

Rusks are known in France as "biscotte" and in Germany as "Zwieback." A rusk is a slice of yeast bread (thick or thin) that is baked until dry, crisp, and golden brown. In America, rusks are given to babies when teething.
You might try the baby section of your grocery store. If you still can't find them, google a recipe to make your own.

I have been able to buy both of these in larger grocery stores coast to coast in the import section as well as Pier Ones.

I got hooked on these when in Scotland at my sister-inlaws home 30 years ago.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Nopales. They come in jars and cans at mexican grocers and at walmart (they even have store brand here). Basically cactus. Not sure how to describe the taste. Maybe like green beans with a sour tang to them (from the jar at least).
Look in the produce section and get the fresh ones.

How about this, you can make them yourself but it sounds like too much work. Bought one at the grocery a few days ago and it's what's for dinner tonight:

Turducken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Naan. Indian flatbread. Like pita (sort of) but a more dough-like and with a charcoal baked flavor on the outside. Common at indian restaurants, indian supermarkets and trader joes. Naan is to india like tortillas are to mexico I suppose.

Goes great with hummus, or with toasted with some ham and cheese on top. You can make great wraps or sandwiches out of it instead of using tortillas or wraps.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post

As far as my favorite "new food" found while traveling in Europe is steak tartare. Most folks in the U.S. (can't get it here) would probably never try it, however with the right spices (and the raw egg) it's really good. And hey, it's low carb!

- Ron
It's neat to eat raw meat.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
It's neat to eat raw meat.
Actually, it is ...

I've had it prepared a few different ways, but here's one of my favorites:

Steak Tartare

- Ron
Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That's pretty good, but we had some dark chocolate spread called 'Nirvana', and it *was*, hmmmmmmm.

Got it in a gift pack, and the only places I've seen it charge 2x the product price for S&H. It would be worth it, but I keep figuring I'll find it for less. So I am....

still seeking Nirvana....

-ERD50
Old 07-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=ladelfina;691614]I've always like the regular WASA, with some nice sharp cheddar.

One thing comes to mind, which is black olive paste. You might find it in small jars where they sell capers and such. I always figured it was for making little appetizers, spreading on a bit of bread or something, and it never reeled me in. Then someone gave me some and mentioned you could use it on pasta.. and it's really great on spaghetti for a quick meal, like an olive pesto. Now I always keep a jar on hand.

We use this paste, my DW calls it tapanade, as a spread on sandwiches instead of mustard, mayo, etc. It can be made out olives, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. very tasty. I know they sell it at Trader Joe's.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Have you ever had this cereal ? It is a year's supply of fiber . If you need a Colonscopy just have this for a few days and skip the prep. It tastes like shredded wheat so that is the positive .
Attached Images
File Type: gif weetabix_12_1t.gif (5.3 KB, 310 views)
Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
....but are great with some margarine on them.
BTW, who uses margarine anymore? I thought that was debunked years ago?

Butter, or olive oil.

-ERD50