Road Rage Self-Check?

Purposefully tailgating: 51 percent (104 million drivers)
Yelling at another driver: 47 percent (95 million drivers)
Honking to show annoyance or anger: 45 percent (91 million drivers)
Making angry gestures: 33 percent (67 million drivers)
Trying to block another vehicle from changing lanes: 24 percent (49 million drivers)
Cutting off another vehicle on purpose: 12 percent (24 million drivers)
Getting out of the vehicle to confront another driver: 4 percent (7.6 million drivers)
Bumping or ramming another vehicle on purpose: 3 percent (5.7 million drivers)
Seriously? That's a good way to end up a murder victim around here. It happens all the time, according to local news anyway.

And good grief, why would I endanger my life that way just to save a few minutes? That would be just stupid. I'm retired. I don't care if I get where I'm going in a minute, or in an hour, these days.

In some places it's not a crime at all. Many states, like mine, allow legal open carrying of weapons hence there is no "brandishing" law to break. Being attacked for not breaking any laws would provide such a person with a reasonable defense for use of deadly force if attacked by a vehicle that had already exhibited "aggression" however. Just food for thought in case anyone is ever in a state where firearm rights are more prevalent than some other areas.

My understanding of brandishing is its about the attitude and actions of the one who may be acting to threaten others. I'm sure that varies by state too.

Point is its always great to understand the laws and plan any evasive actions accordingly.

There was a time when we were attacked by a car full of drunks. They said they would kill me and rape my future wife. I wasn't armed but when the opportunity arose to take off I did. The look on the guys face as he was flying off the hood was awesome! His buddy almost got run over and I had zero care if I'd have run him over. Would have made finding and prosecution much easier.

Never did any ramming, getting out of the car, but did all of the rest of the list back in my youth.

Nowadays, I don't do any of them. Maybe I'll be a little closer in a zipper-merge situation where I think someone is trying to "cheat", but if they weasel the advantage, I just say "more power to ya", and move on with my life.

One thing I can say is that if there is any kind of kerfuffle, I'm probably going to have put it behind me in a couple of seconds; they may be ahead of me physically, but I'm ahead of them in the most important way.

Where's mount a rocket launcher on the hood and blew the idiots off the road.

• Purposefully tailgating: 51 percent (104 million drivers)
  • Yelling at another driver: 47 percent (95 million drivers)
  • Honking to show annoyance or anger: 45 percent (91 million drivers)
  • Making angry gestures: 33 percent (67 million drivers)
  • Trying to block another vehicle from changing lanes: 24 percent (49 million drivers)
  • Cutting off another vehicle on purpose: 12 percent (24 million drivers)
  • Getting out of the vehicle to confront another driver: 4 percent (7.6 million drivers)
  • Bumping or ramming another vehicle on purpose: 3 percent (5.7 million drivers)

I have never done any of the above, other than honking. Often just a short tap to let people know that they are driving unsafely, or to remind them to get off their fricking phone when the light turns green.

Nowadays, I try to avoid rush hour traffic to minimize any frustration. Why submit myself to avoidable aggravation?

I was in a taxi in Tanzania and the driver was shaking a machete at another taxi driver, all while driving, of course. :LOL:

Though not perfect, I try my best to tone things down during a possible road rage situation. Too much to lose in a crazy rage situation.

I used to just be a fast driver but then became aggressive to the point of yelling at people at the stop lights because they cut in front of me without blinkers (which is an epidemic around here, no one uses their blinkers anymore!).

However, I recently made a huge break-through when I realized that if I slow down my avg traveling speeds it cuts down on suddenly finding the clueless drivers (without blinkers) about to meet my front bumper as I try to brake from 20-30+mph their speed. Slowing down, picking a lane where I can maintain a steady speed really helps, I've also switched from heavy metal to smooth jazz while driving (j/k about the last part). It's not a 100% solution but enough to the point that I no longer feel enraged from the doings of idiot/drone/zombie drivers.

I think it was George Carlin who had the idea to give everyone suction-cup dart guns with little flags on the darts that say, "Stupid".

If a cop sees someone driving around with more than 5 darts stuck to their car he could stop them and give them a ticket.

The time I honk in a mild rage are: (a) green light, car in font of me doesn't move, usually cuz the driver is texting or yapping on cell phone (WAKE UP!), (b) driver ahead of me fails to attempt a legal right-on-red at an intersection (i.e. move forward, I can see driver's head checking for crossing vehicles, etc.). I remember a few years ago being one of several cars honking at some nitwit who was blocking a whole line of cars wanting to make a right-on-red at a T-intersection.

Other driver actions which annoy me a lot are driving in the left lane of an expressway but going too slow (and not passing anyone), and the next lane to the right is clear to move over. One badly placed car like that can back up an entire highway because it can take a long time for everyone stacked up behind to complete a difficult and often dangerous pass on the right. "If you are being PASSED repeatedly on the right, then you have MOVE to the right." Someone speeding up when I try to change lanes is annoying. I have had this done to me when I try to enter an expressway and am already near highway speed, like where am I gonna go when my entrance ramp disappears?

And of course there is the nonuse or improper use of turn signals.

I was guilty of honking and yelling at times but I stopped this practice about 15 years ago after I observed a driver pointing a gun at another vehicle that inadvertently cut him off.

I now find myself much more tolerant of other drivers' aggressiveness and stupidity. I attribute this to being retired and not feeling stressed at all.

I had a guy stop his truck in front of me once and he approached my vehicle with a bat. All I had to do was display the firearm I had, and he hightailed it out of there. There are crazy people out there and I don't think the increasing population and resultant density helps anything.

I often honk when I saw somebody texting or using cellphone while driving on freeway, especially the fast lane. Very dangerous habit. I don't want people to die uncessarily because of their stupid behavior. My husband if he is with me, will wag his finger and shake his head as if they're are two year olds. I even read that insurance raise rates for everybody because some drivers drive carelessly. Now I make it my duty to even honk. Hey they affect my bottom line.

I did tail gate one girl because she made the left turn overtaking me while I was on the left most side. That would have caused an accident, the girl was driving a brand new BMW. When we stopped her and told her that was dangerous move, she barked. Very typical.

I've done probably the first 5 at some point in my life, but it 's likely been decades since my last one. Yeah, I'll get ticked off if someone cuts me off because he or she didn't look. But there are simply too many nuts out there; long ago I realized that tailgating. or cutting off in revenge, etc accomplishes nothing and might escalate. Just not worth it.
So, honest to goodness, I haven't done those things in a very long time.

Sound like some of the hyper-careful posters here are considerably less careful with expressions of anger on the highway.

Ha

I often honk when I saw somebody texting or using cellphone while driving on freeway, especially the fast lane. Very dangerous habit. I don't want people to die uncessarily because of their stupid behavior. My husband if he is with me, will wag his finger and shake his head as if they're are two year olds. I even read that insurance raise rates for everybody because some drivers drive carelessly. Now I make it my duty to even honk. Hey they affect my bottom line.
You've got it right. Honking at someone on the phone isn't road rage, it's a safety enhancement. And you're right about the insurance rates because of it.

I think it was George Carlin who had the idea to give everyone suction-cup dart guns with little flags on the darts that say, "Stupid".

If a cop sees someone driving around with more than 5 darts stuck to their car he could stop them and give them a ticket.

It was Gallagher, I remember that bit. :)

I wonder how often someone is honked at for being an idiot and they blame it on road rage instead of their own stupidity??

It's not road rage if you honk at someone that cut you off or who made an unsafe lane change.

I have honked, but it was to warn somebody they were about to back out into me in the parking lot, or suchlike - not just to express anger.

That's not to say I don't get angry or scared by other drivers' rude behavior. I can feel my heart racing and my face heat up.

No one does it??

lol...that was awesome. And just fyi...the person blocking the lane on purpose was also road raging. Just not the kind of rage you think of. I guarantee they'll never do that again...blocking a lane on purpose and running someone off the road. They should both be in jail.

^^ that may not buff out

(ricer, figures)

I just want to clarify - I said yes to 'angry gesture', like waving my hands in frustration - but I'd never make an obscene gesture, that would be asking for trouble.

And when I said yelling, I meant to myself, in the car, not that the other driver would hear.

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom