Road Rage Self-Check?

I just want to clarify - I said yes to 'angry gesture', like waving my hands in frustration - but I'd never make an obscene gesture, that would be asking for trouble.

And when I said yelling, I meant to myself, in the car, not that the other driver would hear.

-ERD50

Erd, thanks for the clarification. We were getting a little worried. [emoji3]

One of the more enjoyable, even fun, aspects of being a police officer is actually being able to do something about these ninja nitwits and write them the tickets they deserve. I don't mean the driver who goes through a stop sign at 5 mph, I mean the one who cruises through without even seeing it. Those are the dolts that kill people.

If things were slow and the timing right, I'd follow school buses around and make sure I was far to the right when they stopped so oncoming traffic couldn't see the marked cruiser. Even back then the fine was $250 and it was 5 points on the license. I think it was automatically suspended at 8 and I know for sure it was revoked at 12. It was rare, but when someone did pass a stopped school bus with the lights flashing and saw the cruiser the "Oh, sh*t" look was priceless. That was one violation I never, ever, issued a warning for.

Most people were surprised that traffic law enforcement was only 5 or 10 percent of what I did though. The Department did have a Traffic Section that focused on traffic law enforcement full time.

Walt34 thank you. Makes me smile about the dummies who need to really wake up. My cousin drives school bus and it amazes me how many people run buses.

I used to commute 125 miles round trip, probably 75 on a state Highway. Speed limit was 65 and I'd set the cruise on 72, till I came to a little town that was a serious speed trap. I'd knock it off cruise and coast through the towns 45 MPH speed limit at 45.

Some idiot on a crotch rocket got ticked when I hit the cruise off and the kid takes off. Pulls the front end up as he blows by me, he's in triple digits and climbing as he is way past me. Few miles away he's pulled over by the towns one cop.:D

I did some of these things a few times in the past; but this all stopped when I heard someone describe (the inherently dangerous) act of driving as not a competitive game where some win and some lose, but instead a cooperative activity, where everyone wins by staying alive a bit longer. Since then I try to do my cooperative part even if others are choosing not to do theirs. I tend then to make rational decisions and my blood pressure stays lower in the bargain.

-BB

Memories are made of this... but it's now just memories.
We've lived here in Peru for 13 years, and only one time in that period has anyone jumped a stop sign on me. We have but five redlights and all the rest stop signs. Traffic runs so courteousiy that even rush hour traffic is smooth.

Town is about 10,00 and mini metro 50,00. Not a small part in our decision to live here. As age begins to affect reflexes and driveability, where one lives can become more important. Many of our friends in our CCRC, still drive locally at ages well into the 90's, with no accidents that we've heard of. Nice town, nice people.

I love to offer pithy comments to other drivers with my windows closed so they can't hear me (eh, they're too busy texting to even notice me). It can be very cathartic.

I rarely honk but if need be (e.g., several seconds after the light turns green and the [-]texter[/-] driver in front of me hasn't moved) I might give two very short taps on the horn, so it's sort of friendly.

When driving in the city proper of Chicago, I don't want anyone finding a reason to turn road rage back at me....

I rarely honk but if need be (e.g., several seconds after the light turns green and the [-]texter[/-] driver in front of me hasn't moved) I might give two very short taps on the horn, so it's sort of friendly.
We need a light tap honk with a smiley sign as a standard car feature.

... (light honk) ... :greetings10:

I recall seeing in the news recently an incidence when a guy threatened a family in a truck with a gun after an altercation. When the guy went back to his car to get his gun after punching the truck driver in the face, the latter backed his truck onto the guy's car, flattening it. Police came and arrested the car driver, who had a criminal record, and was driving with his licence revoked.

See: Watch: Road rage ends with alleged victim's pickup on top of car - UPI.com.

I was waiting to pay toll on the Whitestone Bridge and a guy pulled up on our right and cut in just before the toll booth. They were playing the rage game after the booth and the news that night reported that one guy followed the other to his driveway in Brooklyn and shot him dead in the head.

We have always been mellow after witnessing that event.

+1

I lost a friend as a teenager, and the daughter of a friend as a young adult, to rage rage incidents. I have witnessed a road rage shooting. For me it is just not worth it to do any of those things. I do the math and figure how much difference will it make in terms of me getting to my destination.

I prefer to act the opposite... I will let drivers ahead of me, no problem. It is maddening to me that folks do not realize, when 2 lanes need to merge, it benefits everyone to simply alternate - it may slow you down personally, but overall it will keep things moving for everyone.

Everytime I see someone do something stupid when driving I just remind myself that I've most likely done the same thing at some point in time!

Just honked at someone today who didn't want to wait "her" turn at a 4 way flashing red light. "She" rolled thru the light at about 10 to 15 mph, never coming close to a full stop. I was fully stopped and waiting my turn. I honked at "her" as she rolled through and she must of thought I was #1 by her hand signal. Of course being the kind of guy that I am, I've always felt it was better to give than receive, so I gave it back.

Last edited:
Just honked at someone today who didn't want to wait "her" turn at a 4 way flashing red light. "She" rolled thru the light at about 10 to 15 mph, never coming close to a full stop. I was fully stopped and waiting my turn. I honked at "her" as she rolled through and she must of thought I was #1 by her hand signal. Of course being the kind of guy that I am, I've always felt it was better to give than receive, so I gave it back.
Rager!

jk

Rager!

jk

Yes, admittedly, I can be at times. What really gets me, I was driving a brand new full size 4w Drive Pickup and "she" was driving some little beat-up POS. Guess she didn't care about her car or health or anyone else.

Last edited:
I pulled over today and yesterday to let tailgaters pass. Also, when on freeway, I put my blinker on to change lanes--it's no longer a signal to change lanes, but to inform other car to speed up not to allow me ingress.

It's been happening for so long, I've just learned to not let it bother me. Kind of the idea of not allowing them to live in my head when they're not even paying rent.

Also, I find those who do the honking are usually the instigators.

Last edited:
I keep my cell on the front seat; whenever there is an a$$hole doing asinine things, I hold my phone up as if I was videoing.

If that guy even tried to pull out that weapon on me, he would have met my bumper.

You say that now, but when it's dark and it happens in a flash. It freezes you.

I have a cop friend who always says, when seconds matter, cops are minutes away.

Also, I find those who do the honking are usually the instigators.

Strongly disagree. I've honked at people and been honked at and seen others who have use their horns. I honestly can't recall seeing (or being) the person doing the honking be in the wrong. They (or I) could have been in the wrong but it didn't appear so. I'm sure it happens, but in my experience not too often.

Last edited:
People get shot around here in road rage incidents so I'm pretty mellow. Last time I gave a dude the finger for aggressive driving he pulled into the roller skating rink (yeah for real :) ) parking lot and boxed me in the parking space, mouthed gibberish at me (couldn't hear; was on phone with 911) and I think he spit at me or in the general direction of my car. Odds are he had a gun and it probably wasn't legal.

Don't really enjoy driving either so I walk a lot too. Never been involved in an aggressive walking incident so far (or any type of violent crime while on foot).

You say that now, but when it's dark and it happens in a flash. It freezes you.

I have a cop friend who always says, when seconds matter, cops are minutes away.

I agree, but my 9 mm is only an arm's length away, and I'm trained to use it.
If I feel threatened, I'd rather run him over and be judged by 12, than be carried by 6.

I had the opportunity to wait for four geese today. I only really planned on waiting for two of them.

Guess I could have mowed over the stragglers?:eek: Seemed better to wait.:)

I agree, but my 9 mm is only an arm's length away, and I'm trained to use it.
If I feel threatened, I'd rather run him over and be judged by 12, than be carried by 6.
All very easy to say...on the internet.

Yes, admittedly, I can be at times. What really gets me, I was driving a brand new full size 4w Drive Pickup and "she" was driving some little beat-up POS. Guess she didn't care about her car or health or anyone else.
I've honked...though not often. Usually to alert someone who's not paying attention (after slowly counting to 5, or 3), once in a while because of a dangerous maneuver where others had to act to avoid and accident. So I'm guilty too.

Last edited:
For some reason I am type A in a car while type B (Y? whatever laid back is) everywhere else. I consciously push myself to avoid getting irritated. Bad merge behavior pisses me off no end. Where there is a merge lane people should slowly progress to the merge point and merge -- that is how they are designed. It is rude to stop in the lane to make an early merge (thereby holding up the process for those behind you). It is worse to fight mergers who are trying to get in at the merge point since those mergers are doing the right thing. Conversely, when there is an exit only lane with a wait and some dick head drives right by the line and then tries to cut in illegally at the last second (sometimes blocks and blocks up the road) they deserve to get rammed ;).

Back
Top Bottom