Road Rage Self-Check?

And good grief, why would I endanger my life that way just to save a few minutes? That would be just stupid. I'm retired. I don't care if I get where I'm going in a minute, or in an hour, these days.
It is a macho thing not related to pressing time issues. I know fellow retired guys who do it. It has never made sense to me. I am a type A when driving but I always have things to amuse/sooth me when driving.

You mean you haven't been clipped/sweat-sprayed by aggressive runners who resent your being on their path, you slow-paced sluggard?

I sure have.

Never been involved in an aggressive walking incident so far.

I have honked at those sitting at green lights or those about to ram into me, and returned road rage gestures in my younger years. These days I'm much calmer and don't gesture or even honk unless it's an emergency.

It is a macho thing not related to pressing time issues. I know fellow retired guys who do it. It has never made sense to me. I am a type A when driving but I always have things to amuse/sooth me when driving.
My Dad was a chronic tailgater, not road rage, always! Then one visit, he wasn't doing it anymore, at all. We suspect he finally tapped or hit someone, and we never heard about it. But he lost his license last month, so we can exhale now (actually he was a safe driver to the end).

A woman in a truck, brandishing a weapon... Was caught on cell phone video here. She went to jail after the video played on Facebook a few thousand times.

I haven't read the answers above, but have one observation:

Every time I get mad I just remind myself how many drivers carry guns in their glove compartment. Can I afford to piss one of those off because I was inconvenienced?

I try to remember that every time someone pisses me off. I also remember Lilly, an innocent five-year old girl who was killed a year ago because both male drivers had a beef with each other. But one happened to have a gun.

Lilly Garcia, Girl Killed in Road Rage Shooting, 'Was Just a Beautiful Soul' - NBC News

Seriously people, I've had a young male road rager block a road, then try to come after me. I had to call 911 and then hide behind a building. All I did was exit a little too slow for his preferences. And I had a person pretending to be a law enforcement officer block me and threaten me at my car window with a walkie talkie. "Roll down your window" he screamed. (He worked at the station, had a shirt with the badge on his sleeve, but was not an officer, I found out later). He had taken the wrong lane and cut me off, long story, I was actually obeying the turning lane rules. Our attitude of entitlement and bullying on the roads is out of control.

Seriously people, I've had a young male road rager block a road, then try to come after me. I had to call 911 and then hide behind a building. All I did was exit a little too slow for his preferences. And I had a person pretending to be a law enforcement officer block me and threaten me at my car window with a walkie talkie. "Roll down your window" he screamed. (He worked at the station, had a shirt with the badge on his sleeve, but was not an officer, I found out later). He had taken the wrong lane and cut me off, long story, I was actually obeying the turning lane rules. Our attitude of entitlement and bullying on the roads is out of control.
Tough neighborhood(s).

In Texas you need to be careful what you do, or you could get shot. DW occasionally has to remind me of that point.

In Texas you need to be careful what you do, or you could get shot. DW occasionally has to remind me of that point.

Texas is where I thought I might have to use my firearm to stop the approaching man that had a baseball bat. To this day, I couldn't tell you what I did to get him so freakin' pissed off at me. And yes, I carry a firearm everywhere I drive. Everywhere.

All these stories (and just seeing how people drive around here, anyway) makes me quite happy to have dashcam(s) installed in our cars.

Texas is where I thought I might have to use my firearm to stop the approaching man that had a baseball bat. To this day, I couldn't tell you what I did to get him so freakin' pissed off at me. And yes, I carry a firearm everywhere I drive. Everywhere.

All these stories (and just seeing how people drive around here, anyway) makes me quite happy to have dashcam(s) installed in our cars.

It is a good idea to have a CHL to defend yourself. But more often than not, the jerk drivers may start shooting at you for no apparent reason. Go a little too slow for their liking, maybe tap your brake, give a hand gesture and then you might have to duck.

It is a good idea to have a CHL to defend yourself. But more often than not, the jerk drivers may start shooting at you for no apparent reason. Go a little too slow for their liking, maybe tap your brake, give a hand gesture and then you might have to duck.
Minor point, but living in Texas you should know that they don't issue CHL's anymore, they are called LTC's. :)

Last edited:
^ yeah I just looked at mine - says Texas LTC

I think they changed it after I renewed a few years ago

They call them CHLs here but I get reciprocity with the Texas LTC

Minor point, but living in Texas you should know that they don't issue CHL's anymore, they are called LTC's. :)

Sure, subsequent to open carry being permitted, but CHL is still the more commonly used nomenclature and I bet most license holders licenses' still indicate CHL, mine does. As to the practical side of that, I would never open carry.

Sure, subsequent to open carry being permitted, but CHL is still the more commonly used nomenclature and I bet most license holders licenses' still indicate CHL, mine does. As to the practical side of that, I would never open carry.

not even when you are mowing the yard? :LOL:

We haven't gone quite that far yet, but we do feel like driving just isn't much fun any more so we have cut back.

I am really working on this. I don't do much but tell everybody how stupid they are with my windows up and my wife gets really annoyed when I do it. Driving alone for so many years you get in the habit.

So what causes these outbursts on my part? Living in a city:

1) People do not know how to merge. My wife calls it the "zipper effect" but we all need to get up to speed on the highways and not stop on the on ramp expecting all to open up some huge space for you.

2) When I give several car lengths between myself and the other car in heavy traffic 18 people cut in front of me from a left lane.

3) Pursuant to #2, I stay in a lane that has heavy traffic and is merging into another highway. We then get to deal with all of those who "weasel" every day to gain what will be five seconds of advantage in the long run.

4) I live close to a large company (Nike to be specific). When I worked I dealt with this local traffic. Now if I get out around 7-8 a.m. I deal with it again and in the afternoon. I consistently watch the young people trying to fly down the side when two lanes merging trying to get the 2 second advantage on getting to work. They are ruthless.

5) BMW drivers suck. They just do. The most obnoxious group behind the wheel. Sorry if you own one but it's the truth.

Saying all of that I just keep my windows shut and yell at them. I am not and will never be a person that says "oh well!" But I'm not going to have a stroke getting mad at the inconsiderate people on the highway.

There, I feel better now. Ready to take on the masses.

I have honked, but that's about it.

I do honk sometimes, but it's not about showing anger. When another driver cuts me off or does something dangerous, I think honking is part of a useful feedback to let them know what they did was wrong. I wish more people honked.

My answers are below. For the last 3+ years I have usually walked to work. To keep aware of the roads, I started counting cars that failed to use turn signals when required by law. Considering how simple it is to push this ergonomically placed lever, the results are pretty dismal.

Overall, the average use is about 37.4%.
Thursday is the worst day of the week for turn signals.
Drivers of Japanese cars, overall, used their blinkers about 26.7 percent and American cars were better with 49.3%.

Of course this isn't scientific, just something I observed and tracked.

Purposefully tailgating: no
Yelling at another driver: only with my windows up
Honking to show annoyance or anger: yes
Making angry gestures: yes
Trying to block another vehicle from changing lanes: only when there is not enough room to begin with
Cutting off another vehicle on purpose: no
Getting out of the vehicle to confront another driver: no
Bumping or ramming another vehicle on purpose: no

I had to renew my CHL last year and got the new LTC id card. I don't open carry either. Matter of fact, I've only seen one person around here open carry. He stuck out like a sore thumb.

^ yeah I just looked at mine - says Texas LTC

I think they changed it after I renewed a few years ago

They call them CHLs here but I get reciprocity with the Texas LTC
And in Georgia we call it a GWCL (Georgia Weapons Carry License). I do have one and do open carry on occasion, but only for convenience sake (such as if I have to tuck in a shirt). Interesting tidbit on Georgia: If you are affiliated with the military, you don't have to have a GWCL; your military ID covers that. And, many of the restricted places that an ordinary citizen can't carry, a military member can.

Oh one last thought. Even though I am pretty close to the city, I don't think folks even notice when I open carry...I think they are just oblivious to it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom