Join Early Retirement Today

Saved some money today
Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saved some money today

I have a 2008 Chevy Colorado and it is my bum around pickup. It has 110,000 and was in need of brake pads and rear brake shoes. Well to get it done they said it would cost about 750 and I believe that included the parts.

Well this morning I decided to go price the pads and shoes and tackle the job myself. I'm no mechanic but can do some of the work if I try. Lol

Well it took me 7 hours to do and of course run into many issues but got it done and they work great. It cost me 100 bucks in parts. Lol

street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Great job, face the fear and get the job done. You deserve a shot of that stuff 'Blue Collar Worker' just bought over on another post

I Bought it, Because I Can

Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #3

I was so tried after that one shot would of put me down! Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Good job.. Drum brakes can be tricky. Those springs and shoe pad adjustment can be a PITA... I get a lot of satisfaction doing my own car maintenance too, not to mention the big $ saved....
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I have a 2008 Chevy Colorado and it is my bum around pickup. It has 110,000 and was in need of brake pads and rear brake shoes. Well to get it done they said it would cost about 750 and I believe that included the parts.

Well this morning I decided to go price the pads and shoes and tackle the job myself. I'm no mechanic but can do some of the work if I try. Lol

Well it took me 7 hours to do and of course run into many issues but got it done and they work great. It cost me 100 bucks in parts. Lol
Nice save, I know in advance i would not be able to do what you did. I own a tire pressure gauge. I tried to replace the windshield wipers once. After installation i turned on the switch and they flew off the arms. I was thrilled i didnt scratch the windshield.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:22 AM   #6

I saved over $200 on a brake job recently, through a different technique. Dealership quoted a price (which included turning the rotors). Went to Firestone for a second opinion. "Rotors are OK". Saved over $200. 10,000 miles and 7 months later, brakes are still working great.

Maybe dealership has higher standards mandated by Corporate office. Maybe just a money maker for dealership....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:13 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

brakes are a pretty straight forward fix unless you have bad lines or calipers. anyone can do it with a little help from you tube.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
brakes are a pretty straight forward fix unless you have bad lines or calipers. anyone can do it with a little help from you tube.
+1

A friend convinced me years ago to start working on my own car (starting with doing my own oil changes). I'm sure I've saved thousands of dollars over the years now doing my own car maintenance. Changing out the cabin air filter takes me 5 minutes and costs ~$11 for the new filter. The stealership charges ~$80 for that maintenance. Anyone that has fairly standard sets of wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers can do most maintenance on their vehicles themselves if they can follow directions. Youtube, forums for the vehicles, etc are all free sources of information but in "worst case" scenarios you can probably just buy the Haynes manual for your vehicle for a one time cost and have instructions to do pretty much anything on the car.

The one tool some may not have that they should would be torque wrenches (or just one). Not a bad investment if it saves you thousands of dollars on vehicle maintenance costs over the years.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #9

I really try to take it easy on my brakes. I attempt to anticipate stops and time the lights - a real challenge since "smart" lights. So, when it's finally time to do the pads (50K to 70K or more, usually) I let the pros do it because I'm no longer willing to do it. Back in the day, I did as much maintenance as I could. Now, I can afford to let someone else do it. It's just a different way to allocate resources. I applaud those who DIY! I'm just no longer that guy. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:49 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow 7 hours...thats not good. Yeah its great that you did it but if it took you that amount of time I would question whether it was done properly.

I recently changed the front brake pads/rotors on my 2009 corolla and it took maybe 45 minutes. Granted the back ones are the tough ones to change but dang...7 hours is long.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #11

Car maintenance doesn't interest me- I take mine to the dealership where DDIL used to work before she had my oldest granddaughter. I bring the granddaughter and she gets the royal treatment. They wouldn't rip off her Grandma, right?

I'm better at home maintenance- have put down tile and will be repainting my deck after prepping the surface with a belt sander. Yesterday I got a free Nest thermostat from the electric company and they give you a $50 credit if you install it yourself. I carefully pried the current one off the wall and it has lots of wires but the markings are identical for the new one. I have a few crazy days coming up but will tackle that, too (after turning off power to the AC and to the room with the thermostat).

I've replaced the guts of a toilet and had to empty it and pull the tank. Don't want to do that again- too much work.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Car maintenance doesn't interest me- I take mine to the dealership where DDIL used to work before she had my oldest granddaughter. I bring the granddaughter and she gets the royal treatment. They wouldn't rip off her Grandma, right?

I'm better at home maintenance- have put down tile and will be repainting my deck after prepping the surface with a belt sander. Yesterday I got a free Nest thermostat from the electric company and they give you a $50 credit if you install it yourself. I carefully pried the current one off the wall and it has lots of wires but the markings are identical for the new one. I have a few crazy days coming up but will tackle that, too (after turning off power to the AC and to the room with the thermostat).

I've replaced the guts of a toilet and had to empty it and pull the tank. Don't want to do that again- too much work.
Regarding your nest thermostat - be aware that there are settings, presumably to allow the unit to sense you in the home, that activate a microphone in the unit, which of course opens you up to unauthorized snooping by hackers. You may want it to function as designed but just be aware.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
Regarding your nest thermostat - be aware that there are settings, presumably to allow the unit to sense you in the home, that activate a microphone in the unit, which of course opens you up to unauthorized snooping by hackers. You may want it to function as designed but just be aware.
Thanks for letting me know- in general I'm not fond of snooping devices. Not sure how well it will work at sensing when I'm in the house- it's just me so there's no conversation unless I'm talking to myself. It would pick up noises such as the vacuum, though, or the podcasts I play while I'm cleaning in the area. Now you've got me thinking about how to put a sound-deadening cover on it!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Good job.. Drum brakes can be tricky. Those springs and shoe pad adjustment can be a PITA... I get a lot of satisfaction doing my own car maintenance too, not to mention the big $ saved...

Disc brakes are pretty straight forward but I agree, drums, with all the small bits and pieces can be confusing. One trick I use is to take pictures on my cell phone of the brakes before dismantling that I can reference when putting them back together.
SpinDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Thanks for letting me know- in general I'm not fond of snooping devices. Not sure how well it will work at sensing when I'm in the house- it's just me so there's no conversation unless I'm talking to myself. It would pick up noises such as the vacuum, though, or the podcasts I play while I'm cleaning in the area. Now you've got me thinking about how to put a sound-deadening cover on it!
You can disable the mic in the software access when you log on to it from your computer. I have one and do like the ability to set a schedule for both the fan and the AC/Heat. You get a report of how long and when your system ran as well. Some good stuff.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I just replaced all the drum brakes on my 1971 VW Beetle project. I installed new wheel cylinders, new shoes, new hardware, cleaned up the star adjusters (rusty, stuck), had the drums turned, new flex hoses, power bled the system and adjusted the shoes. Took all day, but saved probably $1,000 in parts and labor.

One thing I would recommend to car owners is to have your brake hydraulic system pressure bled every couple of years to change the fluid as it is hydroscopic and will attract water. Your brake system will last longer and there will be less internal rust issues with your calipers. Any brake shop can do this for a nominal cost.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #17

That's good OP took on the job, and saved some money. I do almost all of my vehicles maintenance. It can really add up the savings. Brakes are an area that if you replace the parts before they are totally worn out, you save money. Pad and shoes are cheap, rotors, drums and calipers are not so cheap. So don't wear the brakes down until the rotors or drums have big grooves.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
That's good OP took on the job, and saved some money. I do almost all of my vehicles maintenance. It can really add up the savings. Brakes are an area that if you replace the parts before they are totally worn out, you save money. Pad and shoes are cheap, rotors, drums and calipers are not so cheap. So don't wear the brakes down until the rotors or drums have big grooves.
Totally agree... I was surprise to see how much I could get new Rotors/Drums online. They were not original MFG parts, but they were good quality brand name OEM parts that it made more sense to buy new vs having rotors/drums turned at a machine shop... I take the old rotors/drums to recycle drop-off vs ending up in landfill...
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post

That's great! Sounds like you earned almost $93/hour by doing your own brake repair.

Have you decided what to do with the money you saved?

--- Admiral David Farragut during the battle of Mobile Bay, paraphrased
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
Do you have a reference for that?

Nest seems to say there is no microphone in the thermostat:

https://nest.com/support/article/Technical-Info-Tour