Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Middle class

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Upper middle class

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • Rich class

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Heck, we already have self-admitted posters who don't feel compelled to read the entire thread before they throw their contribution at the fan.

No matter how big the disclaimer I doubt most, let alone all, posters would understand that their poll response could be identified. The board's had a long tradition of anonymous polls and it's one way that we can begin to glean some sort of conclusion-- perhaps even an accurate one-- about the various facets of ER.

I hear you, loud and clear. But I don't think "big brother" is needed here.

HFWR and Nords: Did you vote?

Middle class... Based on upbringing, current salary, and net worth, IMOM.

(In my own mind...)

I use utensils to eat, most of the time. I bathe regularly.

Edit: I forgot to add, there are no pink flamingos or used appliances in my front yard... :p

Obligatory joke: Last night I went over to my rich uncle's, to help him remove the wheels from his new house...

Last edited:
I wonder who considers themselves poor, working class? Most of the poor, working class folks I know (based primarily on net worth) would consider themselves middle class.

Maybe living in a bad public housing complex, eating government cheese, and ironically being sans job would qualify as "poor, working class"?

I voted upper middle class based on the Wikipedia definition, but since I LBMM, it would be hard for outsiders to guess. I earn a good living, but I don't spend like I do....well, I do travel more than most of my friends, but other than that...

Now that I look at the wikipedia definition of upper middle class, I fit the description almost exactly.

"Most people encompassing this station in life have a high regard for higher education, and probably more than any other socio-economic class strive for their children and themselves to obtain graduate or at least four-year undergraduate degrees. This emphasis placed on education should not come as a surprise considering that most people in the upper middle class are professionals who often hold graduate degrees. Additionally, they place a high value on foreign travel, the arts, and high culture in general. This value also binds into the emphasis placed on education as foreign travel increases a peoples' understanding of other cultures and helps them create a global perspective.
The majority regard themselves as moderate to liberal on social issues (such as feminism, abortion, and gay rights), but many are conservative when it comes to financial matters (such as unionization, government welfare and social security)."

That plus the graduate degrees and six figure income place me squarely within the wiki definition of upper middle class.

Striking. I always thought of myself as a commoner. Hope nobody revokes my upper middle class badge when they find out I live in a lower middle class/working class neighborhood and we drive 7 year old economy cars. ;)

Well, based on the Wikipedia def, I'm lower upper middle class... :p

However, I live like the [-]thousandaire[/-] millionaire next door... :angel:

Paul Fussell’s book, "Class" is a hysterically funny take on the subject of the U.S. class system. I didn’t vote because I feel I was raised in a family that had three classes functioning at once: prol (tech), lower middle and upper middle, as a young person I aspired to Fussell’s "X" idea. I keep his book shelved next to Paul Terhorst’s "Cashing in on the American Dream."

Petti Bourgeoisie?

Using the Wikipedia definitions, the closest is upper middle class. Arguably, that is not correct because DH and I don't work and we live off of our investments--my siblings would call me rich. Then again, I did not come from a rich or middle class family so I feel neither rich nor upper middle class.

Could we who are ER and participate frequently on the forum be classified as part of the Idle Chattering Class?

UMC by Wikipedia definition for sure, but who cares anyhow?

Thank you all for participating. I have the feeling most were being modest. Anyway, below is the classification by the US Census Bureau:

Middle class" is a squishy concept if ever there was one.

If we define it solely by income, then according to the U.S. Census Bureau, a household income of $36,000 to $57,657 in 2005 landed you squarely in the middle class. If you want to expand the definition to include "lower" and "upper" middle class, the range widens considerably, from $19,178 to $91,704. Here's the breakdown, with each "quintile" representing 20% of U.S. households:
Population groupLower limitUpper limit

1st quintile
$0
$19,177
Poor/working poor
2nd quintile
$19,178
$35,999
Lower middle class
3rd quintile
$36,000
$57,657
Middle class
4th quintile
$57,658
$91,704
Upper middle class
5th quintile
$91,705
Bill Gates?
Upper class

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/LearnToBudget/TheSecretToSuccessInTheMiddleClass.aspx

I think that the values provided by Sam puts a lot of people that consider themselves solidly middle class into the upper/rich class.

MB

Thank you all for participating. I have the feeling most were being modest. Anyway, below is the classification by the US Census Bureau:

Middle class" is a squishy concept if ever there was one.

If we define it solely by income, then according to the U.S. Census Bureau, a household income of $36,000 to $57,657 in 2005 landed you squarely in the middle class. If you want to expand the definition to include "lower" and "upper" middle class, the range widens considerably, from $19,178 to $91,704. Here's the breakdown, with each "quintile" representing 20% of U.S. households:
Population groupLower limitUpper limit

1st quintile
$0
$19,177
Poor/working poor
2nd quintile
$19,178
$35,999
Lower middle class
3rd quintile
$36,000
$57,657
Middle class
4th quintile
$57,658
$91,704
Upper middle class
5th quintile
$91,705
Bill Gates?
Upper class

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/LearnToBudget/TheSecretToSuccessInTheMiddleClass.aspx

Going by this I am poor; but I have very low expenses.
I was middle class while working.

Sam you are right about "households" .. that I think could also skew perceptions about income of people of different races, ages, genders, etc. A working couple with 3 or 4 kids is going to be in a different effective money "class" than a single yuppie or an older couple with no kids.

Of course it's the American Dream to be middle-class, so why shouldn't we define it as generously as possible!! ;-)

It seems weird to think a household income of $100,000 qualifies as "upper class". Most (many?) dual income households graduating with degrees (even "only" BS's) in business, engineering, or the sciences are earning $100,000/yr only a few years after college. Even around here in a relatively low cost of living location, I would say subjectively, $100,000 would not afford one an "upper class" existence, even if you spent every penny of it. Most definitions of class structure include many more elements than mere income.

As someone else pointed out though, who cares?!? :) We are who we are and if we are worried so much about how others perceive us, maybe we should be graded down a rung or two on the social ladder... ;)

I hear you. But don't forget get the fact that it only seems weird because you are already in that class.

On this board, 1MM net worth is not considered much (an understatement). Outside of the board, it's a significant sum by any and all measures. Everything is relative.

It's all relative. The high paying professional jobs tend to be near the major population centers.

So if you live in Manhattan you would struggle with a $100,000 income. If you live either of the coasts $100000 wouldn't let you qualify for one of the "good" houses.

I therefore wouldn't say that someone in one of these situations is upper class. However if you had that kind of income in the south or in the midwest then you definitely would be doing well.

Back
Top Bottom