Middle class 38 43.68%
Upper middle class 44 50.57%
Rich class 3 3.45%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Ok. May be you already know this: You can still create poll today with the option to make the votes NON-anonymous.
Wahlbedammed.

Hey, Andy!!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No, no, no. It's not bad at all, and it's definitely not a bug. The voters will be warned, so there's nothing bad about it.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
After it was fixed, I joked with the user who'd pointed it out that it was a good thing they'd spoken up or we'd never have noticed. The user riposted that we should worry about how many users had already noticed and elected not to say anything...
I know what you mean. I find it ironic. People usually complain about the truthfulness of the posted infos, yet still want to know what the exact number is!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No, no, no. It's not bad at all, and it's definitely not a bug. The voters will be warned, so there's nothing bad about it.
Heck, we already have self-admitted posters who don't feel compelled to read the entire thread before they throw their contribution at the fan.

No matter how big the disclaimer I doubt most, let alone all, posters would understand that their poll response could be identified. The board's had a long tradition of anonymous polls and it's one way that we can begin to glean some sort of conclusion-- perhaps even an accurate one-- about the various facets of ER.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #25

Quote:
For a few chaotic hours after the software switch, it was possible for any ol' user to click on any poll's results, new or old, and see how each poster voted. For example the software would obligingly display exactly which category Sam & Nords "anonymously" voted in the "Net Worth" poll.

After it was fixed, I joked with the user who'd pointed it out that it was a good thing they'd spoken up or we'd never have noticed. The user riposted that we should worry about how many users had already noticed and elected not to say anything...
Quote:
Ok. May be you already know this: You can still create poll today with the option to make the votes NON-anonymous.
I don't do polls anymore....Never understood what the point is to the polls on this forum anyway. I would rather that everyone explain their lives in writing, in as much detail as possible.

Quote:
Yes, "middle class". (We turned off the feature that indicates how a poster voted.) But I'd be happy to edit the poll to include HFWR's category and then add myself to it...

When I walk by Bob Dylan and he hands me $100 to get myself a haircut/shave and some nice clothes, then I'll know that I've finally dressed too far down... of course I'd probably ask Bob to autograph the $100 so that I could frame it and sell it on eBay.

I think the best definition of class is when one's possessions reflect that person's internal values instead of their credit rating net worth. That'd put The Donald deeply in the negatives on all counts.
Right now Nords I'm riffing on you kinda looking like JC in robe and sandals with a 9 foot board under arm..close?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Heck, we already have self-admitted posters who don't feel compelled to read the entire thread before they throw their contribution at the fan.

No matter how big the disclaimer I doubt most, let alone all, posters would understand that their poll response could be identified. The board's had a long tradition of anonymous polls and it's one way that we can begin to glean some sort of conclusion-- perhaps even an accurate one-- about the various facets of ER.
I hear you, loud and clear. But I don't think "big brother" is needed here.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
HFWR and Nords: Did you vote?
Middle class... Based on upbringing, current salary, and net worth, IMOM.

(In my own mind...)

I use utensils to eat, most of the time. I bathe regularly.

Edit: I forgot to add, there are no pink flamingos or used appliances in my front yard...

Obligatory joke: Last night I went over to my rich uncle's, to help him remove the wheels from his new house...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #28

I wonder who considers themselves poor, working class? Most of the poor, working class folks I know (based primarily on net worth) would consider themselves middle class.

Maybe living in a bad public housing complex, eating government cheese, and ironically being sans job would qualify as "poor, working class"?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I use utensils to eat, most of the time. I bathe regularly.
OK, no need to brag
Old 06-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted upper middle class based on the Wikipedia definition, but since I LBMM, it would be hard for outsiders to guess. I earn a good living, but I don't spend like I do....well, I do travel more than most of my friends, but other than that...
Old 06-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #31

Now that I look at the wikipedia definition of upper middle class, I fit the description almost exactly.

"Most people encompassing this station in life have a high regard for higher education, and probably more than any other socio-economic class strive for their children and themselves to obtain graduate or at least four-year undergraduate degrees. This emphasis placed on education should not come as a surprise considering that most people in the upper middle class are professionals who often hold graduate degrees. Additionally, they place a high value on foreign travel, the arts, and high culture in general. This value also binds into the emphasis placed on education as foreign travel increases a peoples' understanding of other cultures and helps them create a global perspective.
The majority regard themselves as moderate to liberal on social issues (such as feminism, abortion, and gay rights), but many are conservative when it comes to financial matters (such as unionization, government welfare and social security)."

That plus the graduate degrees and six figure income place me squarely within the wiki definition of upper middle class.

Striking. I always thought of myself as a commoner. Hope nobody revokes my upper middle class badge when they find out I live in a lower middle class/working class neighborhood and we drive 7 year old economy cars.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien View Post
Right now Nords I'm riffing on you kinda looking like JC in robe and sandals with a 9 foot board under arm..close?
No beard or robe in this climate... but the rest is accurate, and when I'm out there I pray a lot!

http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/doug5.jpg

Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Every time I see a photo of you, I can barely suppress the urge to add the klingon ridges...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #34

Quote:
No beard or robe in this climate... but the rest is accurate, and when I'm out there I pray a lot!

http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/doug5.jpg
nice picture..and Geesus, don't forget the sunscreen!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Isnt this one a bit more appropriate?

http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/doug4.jpg
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Well, based on the Wikipedia def, I'm lower upper middle class...

However, I live like the thousandaire millionaire next door...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Paul Fussellís book, "Class" is a hysterically funny take on the subject of the U.S. class system. I didnít vote because I feel I was raised in a family that had three classes functioning at once: prol (tech), lower middle and upper middle, as a young person I aspired to Fussellís "X" idea. I keep his book shelved next to Paul Terhorstís "Cashing in on the American Dream."
Old 06-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Petti Bourgeoisie?

Using the Wikipedia definitions, the closest is upper middle class. Arguably, that is not correct because DH and I don't work and we live off of our investments--my siblings would call me rich. Then again, I did not come from a rich or middle class family so I feel neither rich nor upper middle class.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #39

Could we who are ER and participate frequently on the forum be classified as part of the Idle Chattering Class?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien View Post
Could we who are ER and participate frequently on the forum be classified as part of the Idle Chattering Class?
Love it! could you add "Idle Chattering Working near-FIRE class"?