So who is jumping on the iPhone 5?

It was astounding to me that as the Space Shuttle Endeavour was heading towards the Bay Area for a flyover this morning, there were people lined up outside the Apple Store in San Francisco who apparently were more interested in being one of the first people to own the new iPhone than seeing the Shuttle make it's final flight.

It's just a phone, and it will still be available to buy in a week. I don't get it.

based on my facebook feed, people are impressed with the iphone 5 at first. Then they start figuring out there are issues. Like the maps apparently are horrible.

Luckily that is a software issue that I assume apple can fix eventually, and maybe there's a map app that can fill in the void?

based on my facebook feed, people are impressed with the iphone 5 at first. Then they start figuring out there are issues. Like the maps apparently are horrible.

Luckily that is a software issue that I assume apple can fix eventually, and maybe there's a map app that can fill in the void?

I am very impressed with their 3D rendition of San Francisco. It's like flying through the city. Otherwise, their new map app is quite a step back from the previous one IMO (I miss the Google street-level view). Not too happy about losing the YouTube app either, though Google is working on a new one for the iPad. Siri has been improved markedly I think.

It was astounding to me that as the Space Shuttle Endeavour was heading towards the Bay Area for a flyover this morning, there were people lined up outside the Apple Store in San Francisco who apparently were more interested in being one of the first people to own the new iPhone than seeing the Shuttle make it's final flight.

It's just a phone, and it will still be available to buy in a week. I don't get it.
You're forgetting the "look at me, I'm cool" factor.:cool:

Does anyone know how the Passbook app in iOS 6 works? How does one add coupons, gift cards, or whatever to it?

I looked at it and it appears you have to install certain apps. that support it.

One of the apps. it showed is the United app. but I don't see anything about how to use it with Passbook. I imagine it's like Newstand, where you embed apps like the NY times app?

Anyways, I've never used electronic boarding passes. I wouldn't mind avoiding paper boarding passes for flights but I don't want to hand someone my phone to scan.

I used the Safeway app. recently. You can load it with coupons or whatever and then when you swipe your card or enter the phone number associated with the Safeway card, it applies the discounts. Again, the thing could display a barcode for the checker to scan but I don't know about handing someone my phone.

I looked at it and it appears you have to install certain apps. that support it.

One of the apps. it showed is the United app. but I don't see anything about how to use it with Passbook. I imagine it's like Newstand, where you embed apps like the NY times app?

Anyways, I've never used electronic boarding passes. I wouldn't mind avoiding paper boarding passes for flights but I don't want to hand someone my phone to scan.

I used the Safeway app. recently. You can load it with coupons or whatever and then when you swipe your card or enter the phone number associated with the Safeway card, it applies the discounts. Again, the thing could display a barcode for the checker to scan but I don't know about handing someone my phone.

Thanks. I'll have to check that Safeway app.

I will stick with the iPhone 4 for now as it does everything I need and more.

Well probably better than a iPod Touch up to the 3rd generation.

But first of all, it's not $110 a month for an iPhone contract. Plus, with T-Mobile, he won't get even 3G speeds.

If he's around Wifi all the time, then it's not an issue and as he said, it's a portable computer with a phone.

iPhone 4 is a good jump, with Retina display.

If you need to use enough mobile data though, in this country, you pretty much have to sign a data contract. And if you're signing a data contract, you might as well get the most out of the subsidy, which would mean the latest device.

Maybe a better combo for him would have been a non smart phone and something like a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire tablet for $200. Bigger screen. Not pocketable but that's the tradeoff, bigger screen is a better user experience, unless you just want to slip it in your jeans pocket.

I think our daughter is upgrading her iPhone 4S to the new OS (even though it's an older chip) and not getting an iPhone 5. But she's only about five or six months into a two-year contract, so she might just be able to leapfrog to the iPhone 6.

I wonder if she's going to keep the iPhone when the monthly fees are no longer paid by the college fund...
http://professional.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444083304578018731890309450.html

I think our daughter is upgrading her iPhone 4S to the new OS (even though it's an older chip) and not getting an iPhone 5.

I updated both my iPhone 4 and my iPad 2 to iOS 6.0, but no way am I getting an iPhone 5. Not motivated.

I did buy the new Nintendo 3DS XL though... :blush: It's almost as small as the new iPhone and it's lots more fun IMO.

I did buy the new Nintendo 3DS XL though... :blush: It's almost as small as the new iPhone and it's lots more fun IMO.

There are suggestions that the handheld gaming devices are endangered species because of smart phones and tablets.

People advise Nintendo to make their games for smart phones rather than continue to make their own machines.

I think Nintendo can carve out a niche indefinitely, because their games are popular, especially in Japan where they could sell at least 10 million devices alone.

It's probably Sony which won't be able to compete with 99 cents Angry Birds type of games.

Back
Top Bottom