SW Florida get-together, 2018 version

ah... one of those reverse snowbirds. :D

yeah, it's work related, my office happens to be in Portland Oregon. I am still with mega-corp til June 30th this year. After this year we will do what normal snowbirds doing.

Okay silly question. Does everyone refer to themselves by their ER ORG name or actual name?

In person, we 'unmask' and use real names. (Yet another reason to attend. :LOL:)

I'm so used to the ER.org forum monikers, for me it's a struggle to use actual names. :facepalm:

omni

yeah, it's work related, my office happens to be in Portland Oregon. I am still with mega-corp til June 30th this year. After this year we will do what normal snowbirds doing.

Hope to see you at next year's SWFL gathering! :greetings10:

omni

In person, we 'unmask' and use real names. (Yet another reason to attend. :LOL:)

I'm so used to the ER.org forum monikers, for me it's a struggle to use actual names. :facepalm:

omni

And if it makes you feel more secure, I'm pretty sure most of us forget real names a few minutes after the meetup. At least I do. I'm horrible with names.

And if it makes you feel more secure, I'm pretty sure most of us forget real names a few minutes after the meetup. At least I do. I'm horrible with names.

+1

FWIW, anyone could tell us their real name is Fred or Suzy...how would we even know? :LOL:

In terms of headcount, I will be bringing my SO (DGF) with me.
I don't have any restaurant suggestions, as haven't been to the Venice area yet.
Looking forward to the outing.

It's a 9 hour and 44 minute drive from my house. I'm considering it.

In terms of headcount, I will be bringing my SO (DGF) with me.

Can I bring my new DGF (see photo enclosed)? Most of you are probably shaking your head in disbelief - you're thinking that there's no way that a guy like me could attract a woman like this. Well, what can I say? When you've (still) got it, you've (still) got it. :D

Unfortunately, I'm discovering that my lovely new DGF is rather high-maintenance. If I bring her to the lunch, she'll complain loudly about everything: the venue, the food, the people, the weather, etc. I guess that the rules for civil behavior don't apply to the lucky folks who win the genetic lottery for good looks.

So ... should I bring DGF or leave her behind?

(BTW: I forgot to mention that DGF has an extremely jealous ex-BF with serious anger management issues and assault weapons :hide:)

Attachments

• LC.jpeg
    LC.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 30
4 suggestions -- please help decide

We have 4 viable suggestions Dockside Waterfront Grill-Gecko's at Marker 4, Snook Haven (old Florida fish camp vibe), Pop's in Nokomis and Sharkey's on the Pier. They all sound good.

Dockside Grill has weekend music in their tiki.

Snook Haven has live music outdoors on Sun afternoon which brings in crowds, but they have inside dining with A/C as an option -- and there we'd be able to chat. Reviews state that their parking gets full, and a free bus is avail to haul folks in from further up the road if they don't care to walk. Do we have anyone attending with mobility issues?

Pop's has music/entertainment at 3pm on Sundays.

Sharkey's has music on the 25th, but it runs from 6pm to 10pm.

I'd love to hear from you. Any votes "yay" or "nay" for any of these? Or strong desire to try a certain place?

omni

Last edited:
Important thing to me is a place where we can chat and the music will not impede conversation.... add that and some decent food and I'm flexible beyond that.

I guess I would be less keen on Snook Haven (even tho I first mentioned it) only because it sounds like it would be crowded.

Important thing to me is a place where we can chat and the music will not impede conversation.... add that and some decent food and I'm flexible beyond that.

I guess I would be less keen on Snook Haven (even tho I first mentioned it) only because it sounds like it would be crowded.

+1 not picky.

LOCAL FOLKS - Any other options?

+1

I was leaning towards Sharkey's as their music doesn't start until later, but they don't take reservations for less than 20...and I'd hate for us to be milling-about if we can't get seated quickly. plus I can't figure out if they've got a quieter (likely inside) area. Don't want to call and ask at peak dinnertime.

LOCAL FOLKS -- any other options ? that are quiet so we can converse and with decent food? (We've all been here for at least the season...so a lovely waterfront view, although nice, is less critical than chatting with our ER buddies.)

omni

How about Geckos? At that time on a Sunday I would be surprised if seating would be an issue and their food is reliable IME.

How about Geckos? At that time on a Sunday I would be surprised if seating would be an issue and their food is reliable IME.

From my limited research it sounds like the music is under the tiki...as is the dining. I couldn't figure out if there was an indoor dining area (to get away from music/noise) nor when the tiki music starts. Might you know?

I'm open to anyplace. As I've never been to any of them, I didn't want to choose a place that might not be as suitable for our needs as another might be.

omni

Since we are all retired why do we limit the get together to a week end since during tourist season that is the worst time ?

Since we are all retired why do we limit the get together to a week end since during tourist season that is the worst time ?

In an effort to be inclusive, as several folks are headed back in April or are away in early April, and another still works and would like to attend.

omni

+1
LOCAL FOLKS -- any other options ? that are quiet so we can converse and with decent food? (We've all been here for at least the season...so a lovely waterfront view, although nice, is less critical than chatting with our ER buddies.)

omni

I haven't been to Venice many times, so I only know of Sharky's and this organic restaurant:

Cafe Evergreen – Healthy food for a healthy life!

I've been there once, and the food was excellent - and yes they have great options for meat eaters! And alcohol - unusual offerings of organic wines and beers. It has indoor seating. It is quite popular, but I see they do take reservations - you'd have to call for details. I don't think we'd have any issue with music/noise.

Menu: http://www.cafeevergreen.net/menu/

I was also thinking the Gecko's option would be good, since I know their food up here is great, and the atmosphere is chill and relaxed here in Sarasota. However I have not been to their Marker 4 location, so I can't provide insight about indoor seating options. Perhaps Moemg can give more details since she suggested it.

Can't believe I allowed myself to be photographed at last year's event. Pictorial evidence, the bane of lurkers everywhere! Although since I've crossed the 100 post mark, I may be coming out of my shell. In fact, I'm not going to come disguised as a waiter this year!

Can't believe I allowed myself to be photographed at last year's event. Pictorial evidence, the bane of lurkers everywhere! Although since I've crossed the 100 post mark, I may be coming out of my shell. In fact, I'm not going to come disguised as a waiter this year!

How were your tips from this LBYM crowd?:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom