SW Florida get-together, 2018 version

Hi y'all,
Frequent forum reader/infrequent poster checking in.
Live in Ocala area - looks like 2.5 hrs to Venice. Wondering if it would be okay if DW and I attended the meet up? We moved here a little over 2 years ago from Georgia and still have much of Florida to explore. Thinking we could make a weekend of it and check out the Venice and Sarasota area. (Understand though if crowd is getting too big for venue.)

Let's meet on Fri, March 30 at 1:30pm*

509 N Tamiami Trl
Venice, FL 34285

OK folks....it's time to "check in"*** as our get-together is Friday.

At last count, it looks like 14 or 15:

1. omni550
2. pb4uski
3. bigcmagor
4. Moemg
5. & 6. Dtail +1
7. & 8. simple girl +1
9. Lagniappe
10. LakeRat1
11. sarasotacycler
12. Revlefty
13. & 14. Boog +1

.....and possibly 15. Harley as a long shot.

(Sengsational, being 9 hours away, let me know whether to add you to the list.)

*** PLEASE let me know if this list^^ is incorrect/needs to be changed/updated.

Redduck said he can't make it due to his ankle-bracelet; scheduled for removal in October. If he behaves, maybe we'll see him in 2019. :LOL:

I will be calling the restaurant [(941) 218-6418, also in case anyone needs to reach them last-minute] to make a reservation for our large party. Hopefully, they can set aside seating for us somewhere less-noisy, etc.

omni

Last edited:
Hi y'all,
Frequent forum reader/infrequent poster checking in.
Live in Ocala area - looks like 2.5 hrs to Venice. Wondering if it would be okay if DW and I attended the meet up? We moved here a little over 2 years ago from Georgia and still have much of Florida to explore. Thinking we could make a weekend of it and check out the Venice and Sarasota area. (Understand though if crowd is getting too big for venue.)

C'mon down, it's an easy drive. :greetings10:

omni

BTW, I called the restaurant about reservations and a quieter area for our group. It sounds like they don't take reservations this far ahead, but I will call them Thursday afternoon/Friday morning with the final count.

Hostess mentioned that outside under the tiki might be the quietest, as the music and chatter inside might create higher noise levels.

Please plan and dress accordingly. Sun screen? Sun glasses? :cool:

Sandals/flip-flops encouraged. LOL :dance:

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

(BTW, reading the reviews says this place is a bit tricky to find but well worth it. It's off to the side, a bit hidden, next to a bridge, on the water.)

omni

Last edited:
I am difinitely planning on being there unless they kill me in rehab on Thursday which they are trying their best to do .

I'm actually thinking I'll be able to make it now. I'd give it a better than 50/50 chance. Pencil me in and save me a seat.

:dance:

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

(BTW, reading the reviews says this place is a bit tricky to find but well worth it. It's off to the side, a bit hidden, next to a bridge, on the water.)

omni

Remember I am directionally challenged but here are some basics .If coming from the South take Jacaranda exit from 75 .Make a right onto east venice Ave.,stay on east venice ave, it will cross 41 and then a bridge turn right onto business 41 ( there will be a shopping area in front of you which is Venice's main street ) marker 4 will be a little ways on the left near a tiny bridge and marina

If coming from the North take Laurel exit of 75 and head towards 41 . Stay in the right hand lane as it splits and Business 41 goes off on the right . Marker 4 will be on the right near a tiny bridge and marina

Since I don't know anyone... What name is on the reservation, or how do I know what group to sit down without? We could wear red hats like the ladies don't? Help!

Afraid I better pass. One of our northern friends who rents a home down here each March was hospitalized yesterday with stroke symptoms. She's going through more tests today and we feel the need to stick around for support. Maybe next year....

Since I don't know anyone... What name is on the reservation, or how do I know what group to sit down without? We could wear red hats like the ladies don't? Help!

I will bring a helium balloon (and plan to arrive early) as that worked well last year.

Look for the group of ~15 (mostly young seniors and a few ~50-ish) who are grinning from ear to ear, laughing and having a great time. :D

Hostess might get confused when hearing the "SWFLER party." (It is pronounceable, but sounds a lot like Swiffer, the floor cleaning gadget.) Hmmm, perhaps we should create a logo? :LOL:

I'll ask that they put the reservation under the "HAPPY party".:dance:

omni

Afraid I better pass. One of our northern friends who rents a home down here each March was hospitalized yesterday with stroke symptoms. She's going through more tests today and we feel the need to stick around for support. Maybe next year....

Sorry to hear this. Hope your friend is OK.

omni

OK, gang, I've gotten confirmations/responses from everyone who indicated a prior interest in attending. Thanks!

Final count: 12 attendees (plus harley at a 50% chance of attending).

WHEN: Fri. March 30 at 1:30pm
WHERE: Dockside Marker 4- Gecko's
509 N. Tamiami Trail
Venice, FL 34285

Reservation under: "The HAPPY Party" :)

Look for a helium balloon marking our location at the restaurant.

See ya'll there! :dance:

omni

I'm pretty sure now that I'll be there, and there's a very good chance that DW will come too. Looking forward to seeing everybody again or for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom