The vet, the operation and the old dog...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The old dog went right to where her food and water have been for these past plus 11 years only to find two empty spaces. She's lying right there now - waiting. I've been dreading this morning since yesterday's vet visit . "I'm sorry Dust the vet said no food or water this morning." Yes call me nuts but we talk to our dog. No matter how I tried 63 years of 'early to rise' had me awake at 5AM. I knew what was to come and I wanted to put it off as long possible. She got her morning walk about 6:20AM and went right to the kitchen, expecting her morning treat only to be disappointed again. 'I'm sorry Dust'. 8:15 can't come quick enough - this when we will leave to drop her off. We are holding off on having any breakfast - she doesn't need to smell our food.

In the morning the routine is simple I get up first and hopefully get a cup of joe before she comes down. Shell come to me first expecting to be greeted with petting and affection "Good morning Dusty". I make her wait to 6AM for that first walk lest she get into a bad habit of the 5AM walk. Not bad in summer but god awful in winter. While Dusty uses me for petting I use her to get this old man up and moving.

The wheezing and the tumor on her side, that seemed to be bothering the old gal had me worried, the vet said it should go. Thankfully we have the means and it should be fine. The X-rays and blood were normal so soon it will be a waiting game.

Funny how dogs become such a big part of our lives... Maybe more so as we get older.

Last edited:
Good luck Dusty. May your surgeon have steady hands

Our 2 Goldens are funny. If I'm out of town they don't bother Mrs Scrapr until sometimes 9:00 am. If I'm home 6:00 am is "late". Our routine is walk, then breakfast. A treat from the special place (pantry). Then I make coffee and a bagel. Which they get the last bite. Well yesterday I just did coffee. No bagel. You'd think they had not eaten in weeks as I sat down with my coffee.

Our oldest dog, my avatar, had surgery for a torn "ACL" recently, which meant no breakfast for anybody, man, woman or beast ( younger dog). Surgery went fine but she is on a leash each time she leaves the house for the next 3 months and so is the other dog. And NO ROUGHHOUSING!
No stairs either. We are sleeping downstairs on a bed! This is after a week of sleeping on the floor with her.
Sure we make a few adjustments but she is worth it. Now, if I can just get Dad to stop hand feeding her before she becomes too spoiled!
Ray, best wishes for Dusty's outcome!

I went through something similar recently. It is funny how painful it is to deny them their food and water. No way you can communicate the necessity.

Hope the surgery goes well and thank you for following your vets instructions of not feeding your pet before the operation. The reason they do this is during surgery they do not want your pet to throw up and drown in their vomit. Same with humans..and yes...it has happened.

Isnt it interesting how pet owners will hijack any conversation and make it about their pet. Happens all the time.

My wife is guilty of this and I call her out on it all the time. When someone tells you something about themselves, an experience, their pet, child, etc...that doesnt mean you have to counter with a similar experience to try to one up them. Next time maybe ask them a question and make a comment that doesnt involve you.

Not calling anyone out even though this may anger some...just an observation of human nature.

Sometimes folks are simply relating their own experiences on the subject, in an empathic moment.

I know if I was going for surgery, I'd like to hear other people's stories of what happened, so I'd have some expectation of possible events that occur in reality.

Not suggesting anyone stop what they do, as the differences is what makes life interesting.

Awww. I had a Dusty also. Not only did I talk to Dusty, but Dusty talked back to me. I was a Ventriloquist. :dance: Hope Dusty is back with you by evening.

I had two Border Collies......the last one not only talked to me, he explained things to me.

Sorry to hear. I hope all goes well. We lost our Pom at the ripe old age of 17 years, 4 months, and 2 days. She had a pancreatic tumor that the vet told us was inoperable, and even if it was operable, the surgery might have killed the old girl. She passed in the vets office the following day. My wife and I had that dog longer than both of our children at the time of her death. They are very much part of the family.

Mike

They say Border Collies are the smartest dogs out there! :)

Mike

I have a gazillion Border Collie stories, but suffice it to say we'd tell people that ours could've compiled our tax returns....(only problem being, he'd likely have claimed that dog food was an essential & deductible expense).

I have a gazillion Border Collie stories, but suffice it to say we'd tell people that ours could've compiled our tax returns....(only problem being, he'd likely have claimed that dog food was an essential & deductible expense).

And would have rightfully claimed you, as a best friend, his dependent.

Ray, I hope the surgery goes well. Up until 3 months ago we had 4 old dogs (12-20). Since then we lost the youngest and oldest. I told the other 2 also being old they needed to stick around for awhile:)) WE talk to our dogs all the time. The youngest would get on my husband's chest when we would come home from going somewhere and talk up a storm. Just like she was telling him everything that happened. The more he talked back the more she talked. Pets are priceless.

6:32 AM dusty is laying at the top of the stairs as it is 'Rays grace time'. I am awake just long enough to brew the coffee that is at my side, my reading implement in hand - my slice of heaven. She will come down at some point looking for her morning greeting and shortly thereafter to go out. I'm listening carefully lest she start licking that row of staples. There's a nasty plastic collar on the kitchen table that we haven't needed yet.

We didn't pick her up until 5:30PM .. I had the Mrs. call at noon then at 4. Many years ago my beloved puffy (we were kids) checked into the vet and never returned.

She's downstairs now, lying in front of the door. Lately she's given up the scratch and has adopted the more subtle "if I'm by the door I need to go out". Nearly 7AM so I'm happy, I detest the before 6AM walk it's darn creepy out there - there are no streetlights. (I was a night watchman and am not afraid of the dark.) By now the night stalkers who try car and shed doors looking for the quick score should be gone. I never forget we are only 9.5 miles from the most dangerous small cities in America. That's one reason we got the dog. I'm happy with the AGDC (Alarm Gun Dog Camera) arrangement even though I'd probably shoot myself in the foot - the G gives comfort.

One early spring night when Dusty was newly out of her cage I awoke to her barking and carrying on. I came downstairs and heard what I can only describe as a banshee screaming. It was loud, it was awful and it passed right through me. I had heard foxes make such a sound. I did not go out to investigate. I soothed the dog, turned on the Jotul gas stove and eventually dozed in my easy chair. He Man to the end!

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you're back together; hope it's for a long time.

66lbs of ferocious, hard as nails, labradoodle...
IMG_0135.JPG

Last edited:
I understand how you feel about your dog, Ray. My pooch is giving me the stair down right now.... it's almost time to go to the beach... but I don't have my shoes and socks on yet... He's about 2 feet from me... sitting... staring.... willing me with his stare to get my shoes on and leash him up.

Yeah... Time to go. I can't take this pressure. LOL

Yes call me nuts but we talk to our dog. QUOTE]

Glad Dusty is back home. FWIW if someone doesn't talk to their pets... THAT would be nuts.

Nemo2

Beautiful Dogs...

When we're out walking I rarely, (if ever), pass by a dog without at least saying "Hi pup".......plus a pat if the owner's OK with it.

Back
Top Bottom