This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a quarter to nine, AC off, temp 81, humidity 35%, windows open, attic fan on and sweet summer air infuses my realm.

6pm cst in East Texas and 102f - No rain for the past 2+ months straight. Good news is I don't need to cut the grass.

Don't despair, rain is on the way for the weekend and possibly next week as well.

This year was the first time our band cancelled a concert due to heat. Our concert tomorrow is at 1PM. And the conductor with high blood pressure and kidney problems would be in the sun. Or, we can move to the un-air conditioned basement. So that too will be cancelled. It feels like the Amazon basin out there. Ugh. Too hot to go outside to go swimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Woke up this morning to 80° and 90% humidity at 6 am. Had 0.36"of rain today, but expecting more tonight. My phone is now buzzing with a flash flood warning.

Anyhow...my point is every year he seems to lower the AC a bit and raise the heat...

I too am finding that the band of temperatures in which I'm comfortable is narrowing. When I was early 30's it didn't bother me a bit to mow the lawn with a temp outside of 102. If I tried to do that now it'd probably kill me.

Hit 107 today, but the clouds rolled in, and some scattered storms dropped the temps rather nicely. Currently 81.

Ya got me beat, 86 here and I don't think I will be able to open the house until 10:30.

Winter showed up yesterday. We had about 3 inches of snow and the temperature was zero this morning. On Tuesday and Wednesday I was painting the outside of the doors on my house. Glad the siding job was completed on Tuesday! I'm in pretty good shape for this winter weather.

Hermit, glad you are prepared for the winter! :)

It was 80F already here at 10 AM. We are expecting a cold front tonight, though, with highs in the 60's and lows in the upper 40's this weekend. After such a long, hot summer we can hardly wait.

Last edited:
Audrey1 and HFWR

your temps are only a few drgrees cooler than we like our hot tub, usually set at 108F. It really feels really good when outdoor temps hover around 10 to 15F. And yes the tub is outside, we walk to it in birthday suits.

Today's high was 65F for an hour or so.

Winter showed up yesterday. We had about 3 inches of snow and the temperature was zero this morning. On Tuesday and Wednesday I was painting the outside of the doors on my house. Glad the siding job was completed on Tuesday! I'm in pretty good shape for this winter weather.

How is that soapstone stove working out?

How is that soapstone stove working out?

The stove works great! The vented attic and lack of insulation not so good. It takes an hour and a half to get the stove up to a steady temperature of about 500 to 600 degrees on the outside top of the stove. After that, it works very nicely. It is designed to run continually, but I won't start doing that until I at least get the ridge vents and soffit vents blocked. Once the house is insulated and the ceilings are in, it should be very toasty.

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Depressing day here. Started out okay, 60° F but dropping 30° tonight. Plus, tomorrow is more rain and some sleet, maybe flurries. Thick cloud cover, really gloomy-looking outside. Winter is here.:(

Attachments

• weather.jpg
    weather.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 17
The stove works great! The vented attic and lack of insulation not so good. It takes an hour and a half to get the stove up to a steady temperature of about 500 to 600 degrees on the outside top of the stove. After that, it works very nicely. It is designed to run continually, but I won't start doing that until I at least get the ridge vents and soffit vents blocked. Once the house is insulated and the ceilings are in, it should be very toasty.

Looking good. Thanks for photo.

Audrey1 and HFWR

your temps are only a few drgrees cooler than we like our hot tub, usually set at 108F. It really feels really good when outdoor temps hover around 10 to 15F. And yes the tub is outside, we walk to it in birthday suits.

Today's high was 65F for an hour or so.
Your post was yesterday, Nov 18. You made me look.

Their posts were in August. :cool:

Depressing day here. Started out okay, 60° F but dropping 30° tonight. Plus, tomorrow is more rain and some sleet, maybe flurries. Thick cloud cover, really gloomy-looking outside. Winter is here.:(

According to the weather radio at my camp earlier today, 1 to 3" snow, with wind gusts to 45 MPH tomorrow. I came home, for real comfort. :D No internet there, or cell reception without very high gain antenna, thankfully.

Your post was yesterday, Nov 18. You made me look.

Their posts were in August. :cool:

Yes, even in the summertime our hot tub is heated to that temp for when we want to use it, though our highs rareley go past 92F.

19 degrees here this morning but the big snow storm missed us to the south so i am happy.

Yes, even in the summertime our hot tub is heated to that temp for when we want to use it, though our highs rareley go past 92F.
Hot tubs are, well, hot, but I was feeling sorry for anyone still suffering from triple-digit weather this late in the year.

At noon I went for a 2 mile walk in T-shirt and jeans. At 5 PM it was sleeting. Fortunately we won't see much below freezing for a couple of days, and only at night.

DS and I bought night time season passes for skiing this year, effective opening day.

We missed out on the last snow storm but I knew it couldn't last. I am very glad I no longer have to go to work in cold like this.

Attachments

• 15230697_1806911669576477_6941137227062866337_n.png
    15230697_1806911669576477_6941137227062866337_n.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 34
We missed out on the last snow storm but I knew it couldn't last. I am very glad I no longer have to go to work in cold like this.
That storm next week is even supposed to affect us down here in New Orleans! See forecast image below. Luckily our winters here are not bad and we look forward to cooler weather after the miserable heat we usually have during August and September here.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 30
There's an old song called it sure can get cold in Des Moines. I think the year was 1971-1972, anyways it was -13,-14,-15. That's cold! Wonder if we will see that this year. I know it's supposed to be cold. Will it be that cold? Salt lake City is supposed to be mid 20's for the high a couple days next week. That seems just chilly compared to what the upper mid west can experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom