Today

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
As we grow older, there are some things we miss, or don't keep up with as the younger generation does. Today ... a place to get in touch with things that are moving fast...
Starting off with a UTube, but hopefully to bring some of what's happening with what the young people are seeing and doing and not just UTube videos.

This one already has 201 million "hits" on Google...

Shake it off... Taylor Swift.

If you know any younger people, what's going on in their world? Today?
Like... What do they think about money, or education, or drugs, or marriage.
What do they feel about jobs or religion or war or their future?

Thinking of younger people in terms of before they enter the workplace.
Different from what you thought and did at that age?

Last edited:
Wow - 201 million hits. I don't follow Taylor Swift but I saw her a while ago on Letterman and she seems like she has it together. We don't have any friends or relatives in the 5 - 30 age group so I don't have a clue what's going on there.

As for youtube - I use it a lot for instructional videos, but maybe I need to dig in a little deeper to keep pace with what's going on.

Taylor Swift: I'm so glad I broke up with her. I knew she was trouble!

So, as to "Today"...
I have two grandsons who are quite serious minded and already focused on a career... One at IMSA and looking for a future that combines medicine and international relations... and the second who is headed to graduate school, with an eye towards microbiology. I look back 60 years, and realize that I wasn't focused at all entering or even leaving college.

Are young people privileged today? With no war and few direct threats, does the freedom from military draft or fear of nuclear disaster leave them in a different world?

What's different for young people today, compared to when you were young?

Last edited:
If you know any younger people, what's going on in their world? Today?
Like... What do they think about money, or education, or drugs, or marriage.
What do they feel about jobs or religion or war or their future?

Thinking of younger people in terms of before they enter the workplace.
Different from what you thought and did at that age?
My kids are 18 and 23 (I think that's right). They are no different than we were at that age.

Also, I used to ask my spouse's grandmother what her daughter (my mother-in-law) was doing at that age. Guess what? My MIL was quite the wild daughter which my spouse had no idea about.

As for songs and lyrics, go read the lyrics of the 1960's. Taylor Swift's song that you linked reminded me in a strange way of The Beatles "Twist and Shout".

Are young people privileged today? With no war and few direct threats, does the freedom from military draft or fear of nuclear disaster leave them in a different world?

What's different for young people today, compared to when you were young?

I suspect the ones who grew up in well-to-do households and whose parents shielded them from the reality may be in for a strong adjustment.

The ones I know are well aware that they are coming of age in a far different world than I did. My generation had Viet Nam but we also had stable jobs and pension plans. Theirs has the vague threat of terrorism overhead and an awareness that it can occur but no pension plans.

So in that regard they have to plan farther ahead than most of my generation did and they know it. At least the smarter ones do. But, of course not all.

I have a nephew who really is the "dictionary nice guy". Unfortunately, financially he's a blithering idiot.

Just a bit about war.
Wars have a profound effect on the world, in terms of time, scale and outcome beyond the end of conflict.

Without looking at numbers, it is not easy to put this into perspective.
This Wiki article is worthwhile reading, and if no other reason than to look at the casualties of war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_anthropogenic_disasters_by_death_toll
The list of Deaths, is particularly meaningful. The columns are interactive, so clicking on the column for Highest Estimate will sort the numbers from highest to lowest.
As in:
WWII 85 million deaths
WWI 65 million deaths
Korean 4.5 million deaths
Vietnam 3 million deaths
Civil War 850 thousand deaths
Iraq 576 thousand deaths

Easy to lose sight of the impact this has had on society, and "Today", numbers that are in the distant past.

Last edited:
Taylor Swift: I'm so glad I broke up with her. I knew she was trouble!

The only time I hear about Taylor Swift is when she is breaking up with someone. Seems like about once every 3 ro 4 months.

Back
Top Bottom